Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 no longer getting music artwork from iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
38DEA32C-D039-4088-8A53-55C0029DAEC2.png
99A2BC3B-BB90-44AA-B473-78E4ACCBC474.jpeg
For some reason my car is longer getting artwork from the phone. Occasionally I get no artwork at all, and other times it’s using artwork that is definitely not from the phone. I enclosed my phone’s artwork and the car’s displayed artwork.

I’m on 2020.4.1 but it was an issue on 2019.40.50.7.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? I’m using Apple Music.

The whole situation is weird to me. Originally Tesla was getting the artwork over the car’s cell network. This worked intermittently, and a few months ago (around V10 release?) they switched it so that it would get the artwork from the device. This has worked perfectly for me. Why did Tesla revert to the phone getting artwork remotely? :(

That is sad. Sounds dumb, but this is a big selling point for me. Can’t imagine playing Apple Music from my iPhone and having no Album work. Tesla needs to fix this or at least get CarPlay on their car. May have to stick with BMW again.... Bummer.

Oh it HAS artwork but it will often have no relation to what you’re listening to lol.

This is such a stupid little thing for them not to fix and it’s in their best interest to do so. Gathering artwork from the cloud instead of the phone uses more cellular data that Tesla pays for. Not enough to cost them much but it’s still a waste for them and irritating for the customer. It would be a win/win for them to get this working.

I agree. It sure has a lot of tech compared to other cars, but weird that it is missing some of the simpler things, like album art, CarPlay, Sirius, AM radio or Waze.... Maybe a lot of people don’t care, but I like all those things. :)

I find it works these days, recently more often than not for but in the past it has been all over the place.

2020.12.11.1 firmware, iPhone Xs current software

I'm on the same firmware, and it works as poorly as it ever has. A lot of the time if I get into the car and play a new song I just don't get artwork at all, which is the bigger issue than it being incorrect - for me.

Definitely unacceptable that it is unreliable to show up, considering Tesla is a tech car. Should be the simplest thing to do, as even the most basic cars have album art show up from an iPhone. Having CarPlay would fix this all. Come one Elon you developed other great things, fix the little things that make people happy too.

This has NEVER seemed to work for any of my Android devices. I did a support chat with Tesla, and they said that transferring album art over Bluetooth on Android-based phones was in the works, but not yet done. And now they've rolled back on iPhones too.....

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG