Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 'Non-Performance' Performance option, real or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need someone to tell me if something is legitimate or not.
I keep reading about people getting an OTA "Performance update" for their LRAWD model, or getting the Performance model without some of the add-ons of the regular Performance model (20" wheels, track mode, etc).
The thing is I see some people say they did it while others say you can't.
Can anyone set the record straight about what is real and what is a myth?
I am extremely close to ordering one but am gridlocked over what to order.
I would love to have the acceleration of the Performance model but care nothing about 20" wheels, bigger brakes, track mode, stiffer suspension, aluminum pedals. Ok, maybe the cheesy spoiler glued to the back is ok, but that wouldn't matter that much either.
Basically I just want a regular AWD model that accelerates like the performance model, but without having to pay for all the extra stuff I don't want. I would be ok with paying some extra.

Does this exist or is it an urban legend?

Three weeks ago I walked in to a Tesla showroom. I visited with one of the staff and shared that I was really looking for a Performance upgraded LRAWD without the 20 inch wheels, spoiler, brakes, lowering. I said I didn't know if it existed, heard stories about special motors for the Performance, same part number as other motors, specially selected motors. He said Tesla just made a bunch of those, three were available in Fremont. I did the paperwork, car was delivered to my house (an hour from Fremont) in three hours. Two years' free Supercharging, all part of the September push.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I don't think LRAWD folks have ever been given a free update to performance power.

Tesla has at various points built Performance cars without the bigger brakes and the wheels that go with them - initially those features were an extra option beyond the Performance model, and I believe they are still selling that configuration in the website in some countries (UK?). I think it's an "off books" option in the US right now, like the LR RWD.

It’s called a stealth performance, or M3P-. You can’t order them, they just show up at stores and you can only be matched to one through an advisor. It’s a long range, AWD with performance unlocked (with track mode), either on 18” wheels, or 19” wheels. You do not get the upgraded suspension, wheels, brakes, spoiler, or pedals. Cost is $2K. Currently they are all gone, probably see more showing up when the next batch of cars starts arriving. There are plenty of threads on them.

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

I don't think LRAWD folks have ever been given a free update to performance power.

Tesla has at various points built Performance cars without the bigger brakes and the wheels that go with them - initially those features were an extra option beyond the Performance model, and I believe they are still selling that configuration in the website in some countries (UK?). I think it's an "off books" option in the US right now, like the LR RWD.

Yes there are a few in the UK ,I did order a LR AWD but was able to upgrade to a P- I understand the motors are different ,mine has a 980 motor.

They cost $2k more

You cannot order them (at least not currently)
In 2019 they made 2 batches for the NA market.
A large batch in July and a smaller one in Sept
Both batches sold out fairly quickly and I have heard there are zero remaining in the US

No one knows if they will make any more, I would guess they will

So they are definitely real, I have seen a half dozen in person myself. What is right now only rumor/myth is the chance of an OTA update providing more performance to the existing AWD for a fee in the near future

the performance has a different inverter than the standard AWD model..you wont be able to get there with a firmware upgrade
thats not to say future firmware updates might increase power a tiny bit...but there is an actual hardware difference between the performance (stealth or not) and non performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbancowboy
the performance has a different inverter than the standard AWD model..you wont be able to get there with a firmware upgrade
thats not to say future firmware updates might increase power a tiny bit...but there is an actual hardware difference between the performance (stealth or not) and non performance.

This hardware difference, specifically the inverter, has not been proven anywhere and if you read the threads where this is discussed you it is clear that this is merely heresay from untrusted sources. It also hasn't been proven anywhere that even with an inverter difference that similar power levels would not be possible.

Naturally there is still debate around what actual differences exist at different points of manufactured dates for the motor's having different part numbers and what those mean and whether existing LR AWD owners might be able to upgrade to higher performance in the future if Tesla decides to offer it.

For the OP - Yes there is a 50k Performance 3 without all the little extra's known as "PUP" (Performance Upgrade Package). This version is known as the Stealth / Sleeper Performance, P3D- / P3-. You can definitely order it off menu by calling to see where they exist but as of right now I think the last of them that were built in the latest batch are all accounted for in the US. Tesla SC won't be able to tell you when they are making more. They might make more again but it's anyone's guess as to when.