Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer?

If the Model 3 Is Notchback-only, Will you still buy?

• Yes. I'm all-in, and the cargo utility is a secondary concern

Votes: 267 65.6%
  • No. This is a big letdown. Hoping for Model S-style Liftback

Votes: 62 15.2%
  • Will probably wait for Model Y crossover variant

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • I still think Musk has a surprise up his sleeve. Might not be just a notchback

Votes: 55 13.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree. Tesla should really rethink the hatch solution or risk loosing a lot of European customers.

The main competitors to the Model 3 in especially Europe, is the BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class and Audi S4. They don't come in hatchback, but instead all have a regular trunk, and a station wagon configuration.

Just from driving on the roads there, I didn't get the impression that station wagons outsold regular trunk versions of those vehicles. They're of course much more common there than over here though, but it's not a majority.

The main competitors to the Model 3 in especially Europe, is the BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class and Audi S4. They don't come in hatchback, but instead all have a regular trunk, and a station wagon configuration.

Just from driving on the roads there, I didn't get the impression that station wagons outsold regular trunk versions of those vehicles. They're of course much more common there than over here though, but it's not a majority.
The station wagons are definitely in the majority here in Norway. Checking the biggest car selling site, of the 3-series available, about two thirds are station wagons.

Of course, it will vary between the different countries.

Here is a pic for those who haven't seen it. I understand the increased rear headroom and the aesthetics, but my wife hauls 2 kids around and easy, convenient access to trunk space is super important. IMO most people will have less use for 3 adults in the back seat vs better trunk access. She'll use this car everyday and at times she needs a larger opening for bulky groceries and larger boxes from time to time. I feel most people who drive around during the day for errands have a similar story, at least from around where I live. Quick pic-
m3 1.jpg

Great shot, does look bigger from this vantage point. Thanks for posing. EM said that it is possible to make it bigger. Perhaps the entrance above the bumper can be lowered flush with the floor of the trunk (hard to see from the pic if it's there already). Otherwise, I can't see how much higher the cross beam at the top of the trunk can be made without impacting rear visibility.

Reactions: doublejj
Looks bigger than my corolla trunk....:)
This angle makes it look like the opening is deeper than it actually is. If you look at it from the side view, it is pretty obvious the opening is very shallow, making it smaller than most trunks.

I am glad Elon says it can be made bigger. That is my biggest concern (and would be an acceptable compromise vs having a hatch).

given the design of the rear seat location there isn't room to put hinges for a rear hatch.
The easy answer if someone doesn't like any element of the design is to cancel their reservation.
Then the folks that don't mind will be closer to getting their car :)

given the design of the rear seat location there isn't room to put hinges for a rear hatch.
The easy answer if someone doesn't like any element of the design is to cancel their reservation.
Then the folks that don't mind will be closer to getting their car :)
The other answer is to complain loudly and hope Tesla listens (which they appear to be doing, from Elon's responses).

Reactions: dctrombly
Hopefully what they will do is eliminate or shrink the rear "cargo deck" behind the rear seats and make the trunk open up to that point to allow bigger objects to fit in.
There is probably a limited amount they can do while still keeping the overall styling and rake of the glass, but I see a similar point. The issue isn't really the width or height of the opening, but rather the depth (which is taken up by that section behind the rear seats).