Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Open charge port door when car is locked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, according to Model 3 Support | Tesla it should be possible to open the charge port door by tapping it without unlocking the car if you have your phone key close
  • "Outside your car: press the bottom right-hand corner of the charge port door when your car is unlocked, or have an authenticated Phone Key nearby."
This doesn't work on my Model 3, I can open the door with the app, or by pressing on it when the car is unlocked, but not when locked, even though my phone is close enough (the boot will open for example). Just me or is this page wrong?

No, there is no button on mine either - though I have seen a video where a LHD model does this. I use a watch app ( DRIVE - electric), but still plan getting the fob when its available in UK.
There's no button on mine either, but if the car is unlocked and I tap the bottom of the charge door it opens, just not when it's locked (and I have the phone close so it apparently should open).

Just a bit of armchair expertise here but it may have something to do with the direction you approach the car from. There was something on mainModel 3 thread and direction was part of it iirc. It was also LHD based and I think drivers side played a part so hopefully it copes with things swapped around.

I was looking for the thread that I mentioned but didn't find it, but stumbled across what I think was a similar one which reminded me enough of what the original one said for me to update my post.

It was something to do with the car not being woken up fully, and one of the tricks used was slightly pushing the rear door handle, not enough to open it, but enough to wake things up.

hth

So, according to Model 3 Support | Tesla it should be possible to open the charge port door by tapping it without unlocking the car if you have your phone key close
  • "Outside your car: press the bottom right-hand corner of the charge port door when your car is unlocked, or have an authenticated Phone Key nearby."
This doesn't work on my Model 3, I can open the door with the app, or by pressing on it when the car is unlocked, but not when locked, even though my phone is close enough (the boot will open for example). Just me or is this page wrong?

Doesn't "when the car is unlocked" mean that it has to be unlocked to open the charge port? Charge port won't open when the car is locked.

Doesn't "when the car is unlocked" mean that it has to be unlocked to open the charge port? Charge port won't open when the car is locked.

"or have an authenticated Phone Key nearby."

which I think is where the bit about approaching the car from a certain direction comes from - iirc in US it was approaching it from drivers side door which in that case is from same side as the charger port, but opposite side in UK. Think it was more to do with the B post sensor on drivers side, so maybe not as useful in UK as it is then on the wrong side for charge port which may then mean having to walk around the car. Which may then make the pressing door handle more important as this may unlock the car in the event that the sensor on drivers side was not activated. Just running through the options as I remembered in the thread which was a week or so back so may be completely wrong.

If you do get completely stuck, there is an emergency charge port release Locked Charge Port Adapter

Last edited:
Forgive me asking, but do you not just plug the car in when you stop. So drive up, stop, get out, plug in. Car is unlocked so no issue.

Then walk away and have the car lock itself.

I'm struggling to work out the use case where the car is parked at a charge point but then not plugged in until much later.

Forgive me asking, but do you not just plug the car in when you stop. So drive up, stop, get out, plug in. Car is unlocked so no issue.

I'm struggling to work out the use case where the car is parked at a charge point but then not plugged in until much later.
My house. I might park up at night, but want to charge from the solar in the daytime, so won't plug in until later (my cables cross a pavement).

With the phone key and the phone in your pocket while you fiddle with third party chargers, my experience is that by the time you are ready to charge, the car has locked itself.