Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in CA. You can enter your existing policy. Most insurers in CA grant a10 day grace period to add your vehicle on your insurance. I've added my insurance info since I'm retaining my existing policy for my P3D whenever it arrives.

Edit: Unless you don't own a vehicle now or do not have an insurance policy already. If through Tesla insurance, yeah, I think you have to wait for a VIN.
Screw it. I'll just upload my insurance to satisfy them. Then when the VIN is assigned I'll grab a quote :)

I went ahead and added my insurance as well. But no image shows in the little box? Same for you?

Just got an email:

"Almost there!

We are reaching out to confirm that you still intend on taking delivery in December.

It looks like there a few outstanding items that is preventing your account to be on track for a 2019 delivery.

In order to get priority VIN assignment, please log into your My Tesla account and complete your profile."

Not sure what I'm missing, I completed everything except for insurance. I was going to wait until a VIN was assigned to get a quote on the Tesla insurance...
They asked about my insurance today. Apparently they just want proof of insurance for your current vehicle. Not sure why though.

Reactions: skydreamerjae
I went ahead and added my insurance as well. But no image shows in the little box? Same for you?

Do you think one of those little California insurance cards will do - even if it shows insurance for another vehicle? You cant get a policy for a Tesla that doesn't exist yet. Insurance companies want you to give the VIN and all other info before they issue you new documentation.

Do you think one of those little California insurance cards will do - even if it shows insurance for another vehicle? You cant get a policy for a Tesla that doesn't exist yet. Insurance companies want you to give the VIN and all other info before they issue you new documentation.
Yes it will. Most CA insurance companies offer a 10 day grace period. AAA is 10 days where your existing policy will cover a new vehicle. How do I know? I bought a brand new Type R and it got wrecked within 24 hours and I hadn’t called yet. Insurance covered me fine. Proof of insurance is all you need in CA to get your Tesla.

Yes it will. Most CA insurance companies offer a 10 day grace period. AAA is 10 days where your existing policy will cover a new vehicle. How do I know? I bought a brand new Type R and it got wrecked within 24 hours and I hadn’t called yet. Insurance covered me fine. Proof of insurance is all you need in CA to get your Tesla.
i feel bad for laughing at what i just read.

• Funny
Reactions: puppers
go to your account page
right click
select "View Page Source"
when that source page opens
hit CTRL+F on keyboard
type: 5yj
or
type "vin"

if your "vin": null, then you don't have a vin yet

Thanks for the reply. I’m on an iPhone. I guess that’s why I don’t see it. I’ll have to look for it on my computer when I get home tomorrow. Thanks again.

I'm still waiting in Tampa for my Oct 12th order, as well.

My "soft build date" of Nov 14th came and went with no VIN assigned. *not surprised* :(
I contacted my SA today when I noticed my "manage" page disappeared and the app showed an "error" (both eventually came back - still no VIN). His factory insider quit, so he could only confirm that several cars he ordered are listed as "BIW - body in work" and one customer who ordered MSM w/white got her VIN today....so mine should't be too far off. maybe

Something I found interesting: "the factory is being audited so they are inspecting every 500th car instead of every 3,000th (or something)". Even though that seems to be holding things up, it "won't be an issue" to take delivery by Dec 31st .

I'm still waiting in Tampa for my Oct 12th order, as well.

My "soft build date" of Nov 14th came and went with no VIN assigned. *not surprised* :(
I contacted my SA today when I noticed my "manage" page disappeared and the app showed an "error" (both eventually came back - still no VIN). His factory insider quit, so he could only confirm that several cars he ordered are listed as "BIW - body in work" and one customer who ordered MSM w/white got her VIN today....so mine should't be too far off. maybe

Something I found interesting: "the factory is being audited so they are inspecting every 500th car instead of every 3,000th (or something)". Even though that seems to be holding things up, it "won't be an issue" to take delivery by Dec 31st .
interesting