Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Outdoors Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I recently bought a Model 3, I dont have a covered parking spot so I park my car outdoors. I am worried about the sun and the rain. Someone told me that the car covers if it rains could damage the painting, since the humidity trespass the cover. How you guys protect your car from outdoor parking?

Most of us in the UK leave our cars outside all the time. If we have one, our garages are small and filled with loads of junk rather than the car.

From a rain perspective, we get plenty and modern cars don’t seem to be affected. My M3P has been outside for 12 months with no noticeable issues.

With regard to how sun affects cars outside, I’ll have to leave that response to someone from a country who actually gets more than 2 minutes of sunshine a year.

Hi, I recently bought a Model 3, I dont have a covered parking spot so I park my car outdoors. I am worried about the sun and the rain. Someone told me that the car covers if it rains could damage the painting, since the humidity trespass the cover. How you guys protect your car from outdoor parking?
Get ceramic coating if you can

No, no no, that won't do. Teslas are special and might melt in da rain.

Lol.. that was kind of my point. Model 3s are not 150k appreciating porsche 911s or something. Its a car, and not the garage queen kind that isnt supposed to get wet, but just a regular vehicle. Whatever they did before will probably work fine, whatever it is.

Had someone ask a similar question today. I park in the driveway 365 days a year. In snow, in heat, covered in pollen, during thunderstorms, hail, all 4 seasons.
Looks completely ruined, right?

C625324D-992C-48C6-B5F2-2B23D6B84291.jpeg

Reactions: jjrandorin
I park outside year round, including some brutal 110+ degree summers and my 2018 P3D has done just fine.

To protect the interior from UV damage, I recommend putting a ceramic tint at least on the side windows (the windshield and roof glass comes with adequate UV protection. Unless things have changed with more recent models, the side windows have less than adequate UV protection). I would also use a windshield sunshield whenever parked to further reduce sunlight hitting your dash and interior.

To protect the outside, like any other car, the clear coat on the paint provides protection from UV rays. So you want to take good care of your clear coat by washing your car once every week or two. Applying some sort of paint protection such as a polymer spray sealant 3 or 4 times a year is a good idea as well. Of course, there are expensive paint protection options like PPF and ceramic coatings, but regular car washes and sealants will help a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
Well, the OP is in Mexico City. Altitude and hot, and lots of air pollution, so not an ideal environment for any vehicle. As others have said, do what you would do for any other vehicle.

Both of our Teslas are in the driveway. Both have the Tesla Sunshade for the front roof glass and in my Model 3 I bought a solar shade for the front windshield. The screen in the Model 3 otherwise sits in the afternoon sun and the glass touch screen gets quite hot to the touch. We both use the Cabin Overheat Protection setting (must have sat in/driven that day to activate the 8-hr(?) protection). It keeps the interior a more comfortable temperature. Mainly we want to protect the interior electronics but it also should help with interior dash etc.

As for the exterior we did bite the bullet and got Xpell for paint protection from stones, chips and door dings and added ceramic coating for a nice shine and ease of cleaning. Planning to keep our cars a while.