Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 page on Tesla site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was #40 in line @ the same location! I think I am about 500th in line worldwide. I hope we get ours 2017!!!
I hate to burst your bubble, but in my opinion there is no way you will get your 3 that early. Elon stated that Tesla and Space X employees with reservations will get their cars first before anyone else (which I think is great!) and there are likely several thousand employee reservations.

Next will be current Tesla owners who live in the western US, then current owners in the eastern US. Then everyone else, in an order that I am not clear on, but maybe outside the USA Tesla owners would be next?

Given that Tesla has stated that out of the current 473,000 reservations (likely somewhat more currently) about 7% (?) are current owners, that is over 33,000, there could be over than 40,000 reservations holders who will get their Model 3 before those in Canada who are not current Tesla owners. Which means that if @cheekdave is not a current owner he likely will not get his car before mid-2018 at the earliest, in my opinion.

Yes, you've confirmed why the global order number is not important and not necessarily relevant to delivery order. (This is why people shouldn't know their exact order numbers.)

What number your order was is completely different from when you will get a car.

It would be good customer service and fun for customers who have to wait 1-2 years for their cars to know where they are in the sequence of orders that resulted in the history making event of the Tesla 3 orders.

An odd lapse of good customer relations for Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
Next will be current Tesla owners who live in the western US, then current owners in the eastern US. Then everyone else, in an order that I am not clear on, but maybe outside the USA Tesla owners would be next?

Tesla owners worldwide should come first if one takes Tesla's statements at face value.

Now what if someone buys a Tesla or gets hired by Tesla or SpaceX before the shipments start. Do they go to the head of the line?

I hate to burst your bubble, but in my opinion there is no way you will get your 3 that early. Elon stated that Tesla and Space X employees with reservations will get their cars first before anyone else (which I think is great!) and there are likely several thousand employee reservations.

Given that Tesla has stated that out of the current 473,000 reservations (likely somewhat more currently) about 7% (?) are current owners, that is over 33,000, there could be over than 40,000 reservations holders who will get their Model 3 before those in Canada who are not current Tesla owners. Which means that if @cheekdave is not a current owner he likely will not get his car before mid-2018 at the earliest, in my opinion.
And then you also have to talk in to account that tesla will put higher priority on full equipt Model lll wish could change a lot. Will a current tesla owner who order a base version get his car before a non tesla owners how place a reservation before the event and will order a full equipt Model lll? I belive that the non tesla owners will get his car first and that the current owners only priority over other with the same reservation but I could be completely wrong.

And then you also have to talk in to account that tesla will put higher priority on full equipt Model lll wish could change a lot. Will a current tesla owner who order a base version get his car before a non tesla owners how place a reservation before the event and will order a full equipt Model lll?
We don't know. But I would guess that yes, a current Tesla owner with a 3 reservation who then orders a base 3 will get the car before a non-Tesla owner who orders a heavily optioned 3.

I think that because, since Tesla let employees reserve first and has indicated they will get their cars first, no matter how an employee configures their 3 I believe they will get it before the current Tesla owners get their car. So I think Tesla will treat Tesla owners with a 3 reservation the same way, especially considering that we know current Tesla owners represent only 7% of total worldwide 3 reservations.

But I could be wrong...

It would be good customer service and fun for customers who have to wait 1-2 years for their cars to know where they are in the sequence of orders that resulted in the history making event of the Tesla 3 orders.

The down side of that would be the thousands of calls and emails that they would get from people thinking that their listed palce in line is not correct.

We don't know. But I would guess that yes, a current Tesla owner with a 3 reservation who then orders a base 3 will get the car before a non-Tesla owner who orders a heavily optioned 3.

I think that because, since Tesla let employees reserve first and has indicated they will get their cars first, no matter how an employee configures their 3 I believe they will get it before the current Tesla owners get their car. So I think Tesla will treat Tesla owners with a 3 reservation the same way, especially considering that we know current Tesla owners represent only 7% of total worldwide 3 reservations.

But I could be wrong...
the reason for this ordering of deliveries is those who will complain the least about quality control issues get theirs first. Tesla employees probably won't rock the boat too much unless something catastrophic happens where their safety is in danger. Current owners ordering a 3 are forgiving owners and or just overall fans and loyal to the brand. West coast orders can be more promptly repaired if needed too with all that west coast Tesla infrastructure.

So in my sad Canadian, east coast, non Tesla owner or employee, opinion I don't think fully optioned trumps any of the above.

What number your order was is completely different from when you will get a car.

Would be fun for me and all others who understand that order number and delivery number are different. It will be frustrating for others who ordered and could be a PR nightmare for Tesla no matter how clear they were during the order process, ("so and so reserved first meanwhile the CFO and production mangers/workers get rewarded with their cars while production is delayed for actual issuing customers!? Just more evidence that Tesla.... And they don't... And is bound to fail") I'd rather not give Tesla haters in the media more ammo then have the fun of knowing my order number.

the reason for this ordering of deliveries is those who will complain the least about quality control issues get theirs first. Tesla employees probably won't rock the boat too much unless something catastrophic happens where their safety is in danger.

Well lets hope for the opposite actually... we want the Tesla employees to offer the MOST feedback right away to Tesla. As opposed to complaining directly to news media.

Well lets hope for the opposite actually... we want the Tesla employees to offer the MOST feedback right away to Tesla. As opposed to complaining directly to news media.
Yes, I was just about to replay to sitter_k to give the opposite reasoning. The employees - especially the west cost employees - have the shortest route to channel their bug reports back to the factory so it may be fixed in production (and not complain here at TMC or other forums! ;) ) before other customers gets their cars. And in case all problems are not fixed before the first regular customers gets their car, they will assume that existing owners will be most forgiving while it is fixed. And again it is fastest and easiest to fix problem in west cost cars. So I think and hope it is the opposite.

... in fact, if he is right they are just making headache - and expenses - for them self as it will be more cars to fix when they find any problems :p

My "bet" is that the employees is instructed to give feedback on every problem as soon as human possible.

I just don't see this being the case. If you're 50,000th or 100,000th in line, and Tesla does actually deliver 200,000 vehicles next year, how could you not get your car in 2017, or very early 2018? If you're 50,000th in line, you think the 200,000 people behind this guy would take delivery before him/her, if in Toronto, Canada? I mean maybe if you are in a right hand side market in NZ, but in Toronto, Canada?

I guess it all comes down to how well the production ramps up and to what degree they make that 100,000 - 200,000 volume number in 2017. I am not banking on them hitting 200,000, but I think their efforts and determination will likely lead to 100,000 or so, and since I am approximately 105,000th in line, I think early 2018 (when they really start to churn them out monthly) is the likeliest scenario. Then again... what do i know! :)

P.S. I got nothing against the Kiwis, they are a great people in a great land!

Reactions: Forza 11
Yes, I was just about to replay to sitter_k to give the opposite reasoning. The employees - especially the west cost employees - have the shortest route to channel their bug reports back to the factory so it may be fixed in production (and not complain here at TMC or other forums! ;) ) before other customers gets their cars. And in case all problems are not fixed before the first regular customers gets their car, they will assume that existing owners will be most forgiving while it is fixed. And again it is fastest and easiest to fix problem in west cost cars. So I think and hope it is the opposite.

... in fact, if he is right they are just making headache - and expenses - for them self as it will be more cars to fix when they find any problems :p

My "bet" is that the employees is instructed to give feedback on every problem as soon as human possible.
Sorry that is actually what i meant. Complaining less in the media and keeping issues in house. Existing Tesla owners will be appreciative and receptive of good will in kind service.

Reactions: Model 3
I just don't see this being the case. If you're 50,000th or 100,000th in line, and Tesla does actually deliver 200,000 vehicles next year, how could you not get your car in 2017, or very early 2018? If you're 50,000th in line, you think the 200,000 people behind this guy would take delivery before him/her, if in Toronto, Canada? I mean maybe if you are in a right hand side market in NZ, but in Toronto, Canada?

I guess it all comes down to how well the production ramps up and to what degree they make that 100,000 - 200,000 volume number in 2017. I am not banking on them hitting 200,000, but I think their efforts and determination will likely lead to 100,000 or so, and since I am approximately 105,000th in line, I think early 2018 (when they really start to churn them out monthly) is the likeliest scenario. Then again... what do i know! :)

P.S. I got nothing against the Kiwis, they are a great people in a great land!

The question is really in an effort to maximize US tax credits would US pre-orders get priority for the first few months.

the reason for this ordering of deliveries is those who will complain the least about quality control issues get theirs first. Tesla employees probably won't rock the boat too much unless something catastrophic happens where their safety is in danger
I think that is only part of the reason why employees are getting the first Model 3, and a minor part at that. In my opinion, the primary reason that employees got first chance at reservations and delivery (if they are in the US, I assume, not sure about overseas employees) is that the Model 3 is the first Tesla that the average Tesla employee can afford, and this is Elon's way of saying "thank you" to the thousands of Tesla employees who have worked so hard to create and build and deliver previous Tesla models. So far, most employees have not been able to afford to purchase the products they are working on! Most of them will be able to afford a Model 3. So they are being given first chance at buying one. Which I think is wonderful. Tesla did not have to do that. Tesla could have simply prioritized deliveries based on distance from the factory no matter whether the delivery was to an employee or not, but chose not to do that.
Current owners ordering a 3 are forgiving owners and or just overall fans and loyal to the brand. West coast orders can be more promptly repaired if needed too with all that west coast Tesla infrastructure.
I agree that US west coast delivered Model 3's can potentially be fixed more promptly if unanticipated problems occur, but do not agree that all current owners are more "forgiving" or "loyal to the brand". Many are, but many are not. Again, I think Tesla is prioritizing Model 3 orders from current owners as a way of saying "thank you" to their customers.

Would be fun for me and all others who understand that order number and delivery number are different.

Fair to assume everyone who ordered a Tesla 3 falls in that category which is why Tesla is being rude to its customers for not providing the information. Poor customer treatment on the basis of assuming your customers are bad people who will make trouble shows a disturbing lack of faith by Tesla.

Fair to assume everyone who ordered a Tesla 3 falls in that category which is why Tesla is being rude to its customers for not providing the information. Poor customer treatment on the basis of assuming your customers are bad people who will make trouble shows a disturbing lack of faith by Tesla.
There only has to be a few bad eggs... as proof just look at the news and people misusing features such as autopilot. I don't think it's rude at all.

And..... you've just made their case for them.
;)

Interesting that US deliveries will not start until 2017 where previously Tesla had projected first sales, about 10,000 T3's sold in 2016.

With price a factor in the T3's sales and with Tesla's $7.500 due to expire with the 200,000 car produced, there was talk that Tesla would build cars and delay shipments, building up a backlog of cars so it could deliver a buch of cars, hit the 200,000 leve but still have 6 months of grace period for the $7,500 tax credit before it started to go down.

That would mean that the first 75,000 T3's delivered in first half of 2017 would get the $7,500, the next 37,500 would get $5,000 and the last 7,500 would get $2,500 tax credits. The first 150,000 T3's (double Tesla's original production plan) delivered in 2017 would all get signifcant tax credits.

This reeks of Investor spite trying to sew disinformation!