Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 page on Tesla site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair to assume everyone who ordered a Tesla 3 falls in that category which is why Tesla is being rude to its customers for not providing the information. Poor customer treatment on the basis of assuming your customers are bad people who will make trouble shows a disturbing lack of faith by Tesla.
Huh? Tesla is in no way being rude to any Model 3 reservation holder for not yet telling them the production sequence number of their car or indicate when it will be built and delivered. We are, at best, a year away from beginning Model 3 production. There is no reason for Tesla to provide that information at this time. I don't expect them to provide that information a year from now. Employee reservations are first in line. There are certainly thousands of them. It will be obvious when those employees start receiving their cars, and at that time Tesla can start giving other early reservation holders some sense of when they will get their cars.

Reactions: Luke42 and sitter_k
I think that is only part of the reason why employees are getting the first Model 3, and a minor part at that. In my opinion, the primary reason that employees got first chance at reservations and delivery (if they are in the US, I assume, not sure about overseas employees) is that the Model 3 is the first Tesla that the average Tesla employee can afford, and this is Elon's way of saying "thank you" to the thousands of Tesla employees who have worked so hard to create and build and deliver previous Tesla models. So far, most employees have not been able to afford to purchase the products they are working on! Most of them will be able to afford a Model 3. So they are being given first chance at buying one. Which I think is wonderful. Tesla did not have to do that. Tesla could have simply prioritized deliveries based on distance from the factory no matter whether the delivery was to an employee or not, but chose not to do that.
I agree that US west coast delivered Model 3's can potentially be fixed more promptly if unanticipated problems occur, but do not agree that all current owners are more "forgiving" or "loyal to the brand". Many are, but many are not. Again, I think Tesla is prioritizing Model 3 orders from current owners as a way of saying "thank you" to their customers.
I think one only has to look to the consumer reports findings that the Model S has more than it's fair share of repair issues yet still 98% of customers would buy the car again. This shows that current owners love the car and are forgiving of little nagging issues because the car is so great. This is echo'd on this forum. One does not have to look very hard to find a thread detailing a nagging common issue among model S' but it is much harder to find a thread where someone has been dissatisfied to a very high and level sworn off Tesla.

Maybe i'm just more cynical these days. I think a lot of the shine of Tesla as an altruistic manufacturer has worn off, sometimes out of necessity of course but worn off nonetheless. It is possible that these policies are thank yous but i doubt it.

There only has to be a few bad eggs... as proof just look at the news and people misusing features such as autopilot.

The guy who killed himself was a big promoter of Tesla and recognized by Tesla so that example contradicts your viewpoint. As for Tesla treating customers poorly claiming there are a "few bad eggs" simply adds insult to injury.

Huh? Tesla is in no way being rude to any Model 3 reservation holder for not yet telling them the production sequence number of their car or indicate when it will be built and delivered. .

Huh? No one asked for that. What Tesla can provide and what customers want (see all threads about it) and deserve is to know where they are in the sequence of orders. It was an historical event, one created by the customers, for Tesla to be secretive about it is rude, poor customers relations.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
The guy who killed himself was a big promoter of Tesla and recognized by Tesla so that example contradicts your viewpoint. As for Tesla treating customers poorly claiming there are a "few bad eggs" simply adds insult to injury.

I wouldn't say he killed himself, that's disrespectful, but either way you have to agree he was not using autopilot as suggested. The crash in Montana is another example where the owner was also not using autopilot as directed (and was cited with a ticket). These support my viewpoint and do not contradict it in any way.

I would say the majority of owners actually use autopilot correctly and therefore the term "a few bad eggs" makes perfect sense. It's a common expression and it doesn't mean these people are "bad".

I know you're only trolling, but you should might consider making logical arguments.

Reactions: CTShore and liuping
I would say the majority of owners actually use autopilot correctly and therefore the term "a few bad eggs" makes perfect sense.

You likend the guy who killed himself to a "bad egg" and as example (an oddly meaningless one but what the hey) of why Tesla should not provide those making reservations with their reservation number. In fact the guy was Tesla supporter so your example and point were contradicted.

Your "bad egg" example was not a bad egg.

Actually, Tesla should consider putting a very loud annoying alarm when driver's hands are not on the steering wheel. Same goes for the foot pedals if it is workable.

Anyone with a moderate understanding in engineering/IT and/or common sense will know that we have not reached the point where we can do a fully autonomous car that can be guaranteed to work 100%. And unfortunately, a few people ignore common sense and end up in trouble and that will affect everyone else who abide by rules and recommendations.

I believe Tesla should take a step back and think long and hard on how it can impose its mandatory guidelines for AP rather than assume user will follow it. Unfortunately, that will mean more restrictions but it is important that Tesla makes it safe even for the weakest user so that the average user can enjoy this feature for many years to come.

Last edited:
Actually, Tesla should consider putting a very loud annoying alarm when driver's hands are not on the steering wheel. Same goes for the foot pedals if it is workable.

Anyone with a moderate understanding in engineering/IT and/or common sense will know that we have not reached the point where we can do a fully autonomous car that can be guaranteed to work 100%. And unfortunately, a few people ignore common sense and end up in trouble and that will affect everyone else who abide by rules and recommendations.

I believe Tesla should take a step back and think long and hard on how it can impose its mandatory guidelines for AP rather than assume user will follow it. Unfortunately, that will mean more restrictions but it is important that Tesla makes it safe even for the weakest user so that the average user can enjoy this feature for many years to come.
Did you post this to the correct thread?

Huh? No one asked for that. What Tesla can provide and what customers want (see all threads about it) and deserve is to know where they are in the sequence of orders. It was an historical event, one created by the customers, for Tesla to be secretive about it is rude, poor customers relations.

Personally, I think Tesla was very up front with their intentions on how they will deliver cars. I am sure they will be more specific as it gets closer to actually delivering the first cars. We all know that nobody will get a car for at least a year so let's see what Tesla has to say at that point. In the mean time I say we all just need to chill and let it play out.

Dan

Personally, I think Tesla was very up front with their intentions on how they will deliver cars. I am sure they will be more specific as it gets closer to actually delivering the first cars. We all know that nobody will get a car for at least a year so let's see what Tesla has to say at that point. In the mean time I say we all just need to chill and let it play out.

Dan
A year is a long time to chill. I might thaw out by then.

I'm already tepid.

Personally, I think Tesla was very up front with their intentions on how they will deliver cars.

I agree

I am sure they will be more specific as it gets closer to actually delivering the first cars.

But my point had nothing to do with the car delivery. Simply let people know where they stand in the only line Tesla has, when was your order received and what number was it from 1-400,000(?). Simply stuff. Good customer relations especially considering:

1. The customers paid $1,000.
2. The numbers of orders were a business phenomenon.
3. The phenomenon was created by the customers.

The only lame excuse we hear for not doing it from people who feel all those "other" customers aren't as knowledgeable as they are and didn't read the factors going into delivery. Hubris is never attractive and when directed at customers, poor customer relations.

I agree

But my point had nothing to do with the car delivery. Simply let people know where they stand in the only line Tesla has, when was your order received and what number was it from 1-400,000(?). Simply stuff. Good customer relations especially considering:

1. The customers paid $1,000.
2. The numbers of orders were a business phenomenon.
3. The phenomenon was created by the customers.

The only lame excuse we hear for not doing it from people who feel all those "other" customers aren't as knowledgeable as they are and didn't read the factors going into delivery. Hubris is never attractive and when directed at customers, poor customer relations.

I just don't see it the way you do. I can't see any poor customer relations in anything Tesla has done with respect to the ordering process, place in line, delivery, etc. etc.

To me it is very clear that the actual time and date I ordered will only be a partial determiner as to the actual configuring, manufacture and delivery of my car. Many other factors will be taken into consideration and I understand that. I think this is more of an issue of patience. To me it is no serious concern weather I get my car at the end of next year or the end of 2018 or whatever. I am not going to get bent out of shape if a Tesla employee in Katmandu gets his car before I do. I am not going to survey every Model 3 reservation holder to see what options they get so I can cry like a baby if I feel I have been slighted by two weeks when it comes to delivery. I realize others will see it differently but I am not going to give myself an ulcer over things out of my control, nor do I need Tesla to give me play by play on the process.

They are building cars...really, really good cars. To think that I now have the opportunity to own one is beyond my wildest dreams. I will be as patient as I have to be and no, I don't feel deceived, deprived, or slighted in the least that I have no idea what that reservation number means. Sometime in the next two to three years I am going to have a car with a big "T" on it and I couldn't be happier. (But that's just me)

Dan

I don't see it as bad service either. In fact they're probably saving themselves a huge amount of time and effort. You may be only talking about what a person's place is in the order of all the reservations taken (I agree it would be cool to know) and that it has no bearing on delivery. You understand that, I understand that, maybe even 3/4 of the people understand that. That still leaves the potential for 100,000 other people to call, write, email, fax, blog, tweet, and post on Facebook about how Tesla put them in the wrong place.

And that doesn't even begin to cover what will happen when people start posting about getting the email to configure. I guarantee you there will already be a huge shitstorm of people that think they are not getting their car when they should be getting it. Now add in the fact that they've been given some indicication of having a place in a line that doesn't mean anything and you'll need a customer service department the size of the gigafactory to handle the complaints.

Jeepers this again?!

Tesla employees first then spacex then solar city-no matter what or when they order.

Next comes all preordered (pre unveil) whom have a roadster, s or x about 6k of them (115k preordered before unveil only 6% have a Tesla)
Then comes all preordered-pre unveil- cars whom don't have a tesla who waited in line at stores which will be done in batches NOT based on options-this was tweeted by Elon himself. So, it doesn't matter what options you order at all. It might matter within a batch that's being delivered to a region. So it will go W, S, N, E in that sequence until all pre unveil orders are fulfilled.

This will then be followed with preordered post unveil (online and such) to each region in order. W, S, N, E
And will continue to rotate until all orders are fulfilled. If you own a tesla and ordered post unveil you will be first in this batch of cars.

Options don't really matter as they will probably deliver in batches of 10k-25k per region at a time. (this is a guess-Please don't over comment on it.) Whether it is 5k cars or 10k or 40k per region - who knows??? But batches none the less.

There are so many to deliver that Elon scrapped the max options get their cars first. Doesn't make sense logistically to do it anymore.
Stop thinking if you max out your car and order today that you'll be first to get one. It won't happen!
With respect-

Reactions: Forza 11
This will then be followed with preordered post unveil (online and such) to each region in order.
I ordered mine online about an hour and ten (edited from an hour and forty) minutes before the unveil event started. I'm still holding out hope that I'm lumped in with the pre-unveil orders, since technically that's where I should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pieter Knispel