Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 page on Tesla site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me it is very clear that the actual time and date I ordered will only be a partial determiner as to the actual configuring, manufacture and delivery of my car.

Me too. True for all customers. But that is irrelevant to Tesla telling customers what number they were in the 400,000+ order line that did so much for Tesla's future and current prospects by breaking all product pre-sales records.

No one cares about delivery dates at this point.

Customer's gave something to Tesla, $400M in cash, huge positive PR, greater investment prospects, security to go ahead with aggressive expansion plans and Tesla should return the customer's trust in Tesla and at least tell people where they were in helping Tesla. Instead Tesla treats customers as the enemy, "bad eggs" who will "make trouble" and "don't understand the delivery parameters".

EaglesPDX, you're getting all worked up over some sort of number that is going to have no bearing on when you get your car. Although we believe it to be representative of the order in which people placed orders nationally, there are enough outliers in the data that we're pretty sure it is not trustworthy as such.

Just remember where you were in line at your particular store. You did count, right? I know we all did. Or remember what time you finished placing your order. And please drop this silly crusade.

Tesla employees first then spacex then solar city-no matter what or when they order.
There are a lot of details there that I don't recall seeing anywhere else, can you provide links to them? I know employees have priority, but I dont recall it being said that it would be regardless of when they ordered. If that were the case then no employees would have pre-ordered, they'd all jsut wait until the day before production started and place their order.

Next comes all preordered (pre unveil) whom have a roadster, s or x about 6k of them (115k preordered before unveil only 6% have a Tesla)
Then comes all preordered-pre unveil- cars whom don't have a tesla who waited in line at stores which will be done in batches NOT based on options-this was tweeted by Elon himself. So, it doesn't matter what options you order at all. It might matter within a batch that's being delivered to a region. So it will go W, S, N, E in that sequence until all pre unveil orders are fulfilled.

This will then be followed with preordered post unveil (online and such) to each region in order. W, S, N, E
And will continue to rotate until all orders are fulfilled. If you own a tesla and ordered post unveil you will be first in this batch of cars.

I don't recall seeing anything about there being a cut off between pre and post reveal. The only thing I've seen mentioned about time of reservation is that peopel will be asked to configure based on the date they placed their reservation.

TM has mentioned "regions" but I don't think there has been any definition of what they mean by region, it could be N, S, E, and W, or it could be by time zone, it could be by population density, or maybe order density. It'll start out west, that's all I'm aware of as having been said.

If you know more than we do you need to provide sources, if not, qualify your posts that this is just your opinion.

It would stress me to no end to know my exact {U.S.} delivery order, and then at 20 {number picked from thin air} vehicles before mine was supposed to ship, they shipped two car carrier shiploads across the Atlantic and another couple across the Pacific in order to "game" the Federal Tax Credit. I'm far happier NOT knowing exactly when to expect it, so I won't be sitting on the edge of my chair all the time.

Patience is not my strongest suite, but me trying to follow with extreme accuracy would drive my wife crazy.

Jeepers this again?!
Tesla employees first then spacex then solar city-no matter what or when they order.
Next comes all preordered (pre unveil) whom have a roadster, s or x about 6k of them (115k preordered before unveil only 6% have a Tesla)

Nope. You are talking delivery. What number someone is in the order lineup is not the same as the delivery date.

So Not everyone knows the order?

Only a handful of people know the order. Tesla was secretly publishing it on the confirmation of order email. When people discovered it, Tesla removed it from the page.

Tesla's reasons were based on poor customer relations, that people smart and committed enough to put $1K down on a Tesla 3 were "bad eggs" who would "make trouble" over the difference between order number and delivery order.

Tesla's reasons
Tesla has not given any reasons. The reasons you are listing is just ordinary people here that is guessing on what that reason may be, and they guess what they guess based on earlier experiences with peoples reaction on the deliveries of Model S where the customer did have a "sequence number" and they found out that the deliveries did not follow this numbers exactly.

This time they have been clear about it from before anyone could reserve how the delivery sequence will be, and that any "sequence number" would not have anything to do with when you gets your car.

• Informative
Reactions: melindav and garsh
EaglesPDX, you're getting all worked up over some sort of number that is going to have no bearing on when you get your car.

Actually the order number will have a great deal of bearing on when you get your T3. All things being equal, a West coaster with optioned out car, No. 40,000 in line will get her car before No. 197,323.

Right now, Tesla cannot provide any delivery information. What Tesla can do now out of respect for customers commitment to Tesla, is to provide customers with their order number. There is every reason to do it and the only reason not to do is Tesla has no respect for its customers.

EaglesPDX, you're getting all worked up over some sort of number that is going to have no bearing on when you get your car. Although we believe it to be representative of the order in which people placed orders nationally, there are enough outliers in the data that we're pretty sure it is not trustworthy as such.

Just remember where you were in line at your particular store. You did count, right? I know we all did. Or remember what time you finished placing your order. And please drop this silly crusade.

Post after post this is what he complains about. Let it go!! You think Tesla is so bad for hiding your meaningless number, cancel your order and go buy a Civic.

Reactions: Troy916
Actually the order number will have a great deal of bearing on when you get your T3. All things being equal, a West coaster with optioned out car, No. 40,000 in line will get her car before No. 197,323.

Right now, Tesla cannot provide any delivery information. What Tesla can do now out of respect for customers commitment to Tesla, is to provide customers with their order number. There is every reason to do it and the only reason not to do is Tesla has no respect for its customers.
There isn't even a global (and I mean that in the computer science sense, not the earthy sense) queue for your order to be in. Just a timestamp, and probably a location. Given that reservations opened at approximately 10am local time zone, what does it even mean that the first person in line in California technically reserved about 45 minutes after me - the 50th in line in Salt Lake City? Technically I reserved earlier than them in absolute time, but they were "first" at their location, and they're closer to the factory. They also had multiple backend systems accepting reservations, giving out reservation numbers that are either random, or from completely different chunks of a greater address space. Tesla isn't "hiding" anything from their customers, either maliciously or benignly. There simply is no sequence number to give. And it doesn't even matter. When it comes time to configure, they'll run a query such as "all SpaceX employees with California delivery addresses, you can configure". "All current Tesla owners that reserved before the reveal event started (a single point in global time)". Then they'll have a few thousand actual orders on the books after each of these hypothetical groups, and they'll do something like "give me 1000 orders that had blue paint and an all glass roof. That's what we're building this week." Production batching can be done based on a gazillion different variables - each option, delivery area, total customer cost, price to build, maximize actual profit, who knows. Just go look at the Model X delivery threads for the past few months. VINs are assigned some point after you order and confirm, but then production batching happens, so things get way out of order even at that point. For a while it was that you had to have chosen premium package. Then if you had chosen certain wheels or seat material, they were running low, so you got delayed. Or maybe there was a problem with your vehicle that they had to fix, so it got delayed.

All this to say... Chill out! There is no order. Now or when deliveries start. And tesla isn't thinking their customers are dumb, or will squabble, or whatever. They simply don't know the order.

What Tesla can do now out of respect for customers commitment to Tesla, is to provide customers with their order number. There is every reason to do it and the only reason not to do is Tesla has no respect for its customers.
I'm glad you didn't get your reservation id. I can imagine your howling when the individual with reservation ID 390274 gets her Model 3 before your reservation ID 387411.

If you keep up this complaining, you could find your reservation to be cancelled.

Reactions: melindav and Tezlah

You're not going to get any delivery information until you configure. End of story. Even at that time, you'll get an estimated delivery timeframe. Providing "order numbers" to reservation holders is pointless and would only fuel complaining from people like you when someone with a lower number gets their car before you. This provides no real value to customers or the company.

Don't forget, you can log into your My Tesla account and cancel your reservation at any time.