Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 parking lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, where you leave lights on when the car is parked somewhere dark; previous cars I have had have allowed me to leave say offside front sidelight and rear light on so the vehicle is visible.

Page 49 of the manual implies there is a PARKING setting for the lights.
There is definitely a mention of Parking Lights. Not sure whether that just leaves on all the side lights etc. Will have to try it.

CC58DFCD-DF9D-48A4-AD00-D70D3F117EF2.jpeg

Normally they are done on turn indicator stalk. Flick it to the side indicating the road. Obviously Tesla do not have latching indicator stalks so not such an obvious option.

Can't remember seeing the parking option on our headlight control and only once seen fog lights available - guess you need to be in on not auto. I followed our car today and in overcast morning light running through trees, auto seemed to work well.

There is definitely a mention of Parking Lights. Not sure whether that just leaves on all the side lights etc. Will have to try it.

View attachment 462120

Thanks - been digging in to this. To leave the front and rear sidelights on when the car is locked you have to get out of the car and then lean over to change the lights from auto to sidelights (shown as a symbol on my car, not actually called “parking lights”). Then the car will lock and leave these lights on. If you change the setting whilst sitting in the car it just reverts to “auto” as you get out and he lights will turn off after locking as normal.

Various cars I have owned over the last 12 years or so have allowed me to leave just one side illuminated but the process above will work fine

Thanks - been digging in to this. To leave the front and rear sidelights on when the car is locked you have to get out of the car and then lean over to change the lights from auto to sidelights (shown as a symbol on my car, not actually called “parking lights”). Then the car will lock and leave these lights on. If you change the setting whilst sitting in the car it just reverts to “auto” as you get out and he lights will turn off after locking as normal.

Various cars I have owned over the last 12 years or so have allowed me to leave just one side illuminated but the process above will work fine
Thanks for that.

For a minute or two I thought you might end up buying one of these :D :

2172B3C4-0764-4B19-B5AE-CEF9C3D1470A.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado and PXW1
Gosh it's many years since I've used parking lights however it's still a legal requirement if you are parked on a road with a speed limit greater than 40mph.
I don't think it's a law that is enforced though as that would require the police to get off their ........ (drifts off into Daily Mail rant mode)

Reactions: Roy W. and bjbrown
Gosh it's many years since I've used parking lights however it's still a legal requirement if you are parked on a road with a speed limit greater than 40mph.
I don't think it's a law that is enforced though as that would require the police to get off their ........ (drifts off into Daily Mail rant mode)

Are single-side parking lights required or can all four corners be lit?

The law is here:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

See clause 24 for the rules we are talking about here. The text is extremely obscure, but as I read it you do in fact have to have all four corners lit, and indeed the numberplate lamp too.

24(1)(b) requires every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp to be lit when parked.
24(5) exempts you from 24(1) completely in the 30mph/not near a junction situation.
Schedule 1 says that cars must have front position lamps, and Schedule two says there must be two of them.
Schedule 1 says that cars must have rear position lamps, and Schedule ten says there must be two of them.
Schedule 1 says that anything with a rear registration plate must have lamp(s) on it.
None of the other lamp types from 24(1) are required for cars.

My memory says that the ability to light only half the parking lights was originally a VW thing that they introduced in the '80s; certainly other marques I was familiar with at the time (BL, Ford, Saab) didn't have that feature. And it appears from the above that it never had any legal function, just something you could optionally do in cases where you weren't obliged to have parking lights.

The law is here:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

See clause 24 for the rules we are talking about here. The text is extremely obscure, but as I read it you do in fact have to have all four corners lit, and indeed the numberplate lamp too.

24(1)(b) requires every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp to be lit when parked.
24(5) exempts you from 24(1) completely in the 30mph/not near a junction situation.
Schedule 1 says that cars must have front position lamps, and Schedule two says there must be two of them.
Schedule 1 says that cars must have rear position lamps, and Schedule ten says there must be two of them.
Schedule 1 says that anything with a rear registration plate must have lamp(s) on it.
None of the other lamp types from 24(1) are required for cars.

My memory says that the ability to light only half the parking lights was originally a VW thing that they introduced in the '80s; certainly other marques I was familiar with at the time (BL, Ford, Saab) didn't have that feature. And it appears from the above that it never had any legal function, just something you could optionally do in cases where you weren't obliged to have parking lights.

Excellent info. Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes-Benz all did the single-side parking lamp thing. Mercedes-Benz had the single-side options on the regular headlights switch, even in the USA. VW and Audi used the turn signal stalk - just put the stalk in the right or left position when parking.

Reactions: arg