Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason my TeslaFi doesn't record a battery degradation report ever since V9. It does report all charges, but that part is broken. Has it been working on your accounts with V9? @007Bond

Yes it records most of the time. I had opened a ticket with TeslaFi but mostly they pointed the finger at Tesla and said that if Tesla does not report charge complete what can they do. I had suggested that since as you noted the full charges are actually logged why could they not put an option to mark the charge as complete. That way it could be included with the battery report. That request fell on deaf ears as I have not received a reply.

Maybe if more ppl complain about something that would take less than a min to code they will add it.

I haven't been on the site for a while, when I logged in tonight, this thread looked interesting. I haven't taken the time to read all the posts in the thread, and I add this report only as an additional datapoint.

M3 VIN 113xxx, LR Dual Motor, 3-1/2 months old, 4600 miles.

As shown by the STATS app, my 100% SOC capacity rated range is actually showing a very slight uptrend! I started using STATS at about 3000 odometer miles, where it showed 100% SOC rated range as 308 miles. At 4600 odometer miles, it now shows 100% SOC as 309 miles, using the linear fit built into STATS. There's some scatter in the 20+ data points, from a low of 307 to a high of 311. Maybe I'm just getting the pack broken in. I know it can't continue this uptrend for any long-term period. I'm mostly charging at home, using a 20A 120V circuit, getting 6-7 mph at 16A. There are several free 48A 208V HPWCs available to me nearby, plus a free 30A 208V J-1772, and I use them occasionally. Last supercharge was at the Las Vegas Town Square SC, where I was pleasantly surprised to have been charged only $0.12 per KWH! Electricity at home is $0.09 per KWH, no time-of-day differential. I charge to 80% except when I'm going on a trip, when I charge to 90-100%, depending on where I'm going. I live about 3 miles from the St. George UT supercharger, but I've only used it a couple times and only when coming home from a trip with not much remaining. I've never taken the car to less than 50 miles (16%) remaining.

BTW, last week the Tesla svc center in Las Vegas finally got around to sending out a tech to install my Dual Motor badge!

Reactions: JeffnReno
64BF4B06-2FA4-452B-B6C0-00DEF1DFAC80.jpeg
I now have 21,000 ‘s or 13,115 miles on my Model 3 AWD non performance. Had it about 4.5 months now.

Happy to see my SOC still showing no degradation.
At 90% SOC I’m at 449 km’s or 279 miles.

I haven’t run any tests to see if my actual range is 499km’s / 310miles, but I’m happy to see my SOC still strong anyway.

-I keep it at 90% all the time.
-Plug in at home every night on a HPWC.
-Use Superchargers maybe one a week.
-It’s kept outside 24/7, even on -22 celcius days.
-I always try to only charge when the battery is warmed up. Try..
-I’ve only gone below 20%, two or three times. Never below 15% yet.
-I’ve only charged to 100% maybe 3 times.

I’m always curious if others are seeing any degradation on the model 3 yet.
If so, any thoughts as to why ?

“ I do realize the battery will continually degrade, but I’m hoping it starts later rather than sooner. :)

Reactions: navguy12
I've just found this topic and was catching up -- I may have missed it, but I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the possibility that the original poster's problem might have been caused by the battery manufacturing issue mentioned in one of the Tesla technical service notices -- the one about the battery manufacturing error that caused some cell groups not to be connected properly inside the battery pack in certain Model 3s. I need to go dig up the link, but thought I'd mention it.

I've been tracking my degradation since it felt like a lost some early on. I did a 100% charge last week and got to 475. I'm not worried about it yet but interesting that almost everyone I've talked to with a 3 hasn't seen any loss of range really.

Looking forward to the summer again to always have regen again and see the full range numbers. It was like 500 when I got the car in June.

“ I do realize the battery will continually degrade, but I’m hoping it starts later rather than sooner. :)

Not necessarily true. Overwhelming experience with S is about 5% range degradation over first 12-18 months and little to none thereafter. I know 3 battery chemistry is different and not enough data tet, but don’t assume it will degrade either continually or linearly.

• Informative
I've been tracking my degradation since it felt like a lost some early on. I did a 100% charge last week and got to 475. I'm not worried about it yet but interesting that almost everyone I've talked to with a 3 hasn't seen any loss of range really.

Looking forward to the summer again to always have regen again and see the full range numbers. It was like 500 when I got the car in June.

What % do you keep your car charged to on a daily basis ?
How many km’s Do you travel daily ?

Until the winter hit I was using 70% since that gave plenty of range. Since it got colder I've been using 85% daily charging. I've done a number of 100% as well which is good once in a while I've read to let the BMS know what its got to work with. Daily km's ranges from 30-100 depending on the kid's activities!

View attachment 376194 I now have 21,000 ‘s or 13,115 miles on my Model 3 AWD non performance. Had it about 4.5 months now.

Happy to see my SOC still showing no degradation.
At 90% SOC I’m at 449 km’s or 279 miles.

I haven’t run any tests to see if my actual range is 499km’s / 310miles, but I’m happy to see my SOC still strong anyway.

-I keep it at 90% all the time.
-Plug in at home every night on a HPWC.
-Use Superchargers maybe one a week.
-It’s kept outside 24/7, even on -22 celcius days.
-I always try to only charge when the battery is warmed up. Try..
-I’ve only gone below 20%, two or three times. Never below 15% yet.
-I’ve only charged to 100% maybe 3 times.

I’m always curious if others are seeing any degradation on the model 3 yet.
If so, any thoughts as to why ?

I'm at eight months, 20,000 km, RWD LR.

I top up to 80% and drive about a week or until it reaches 50% and then use the Tesla Wall Connector to recharge.

Car lives in an 8c heated (infloor) garage.

Been down to 4% once, around 10% often and 100 perhaps a dozen times.

I've supercharged about 24 times.

Last time I checked, 99% was showing 498 km momentarily, then settled to 497 km and I couldn't wait around to see 100% on the clock.

Hey Guys,
So my last thread must have been deleted for some reason, unsure why but here is the run down of what happened for me.

Around 3 weeks ago I realized at 90% charge I was only getting a range of 263 Miles - I thought this was odd and defiantly lower than everyone I had spoken to that had RWD cars. I reached out to several P3D owners and surprisingly more than 40% of them had a similar issue.

At first I assumed the battery just needed a re-balancing / calibration ect. So I dropped the battery to 5% and then supercharged it to 100%. Range was still only 292 miles. At this point I was getting a bit worried over 5% battery degradation in the first month seemed really high performance car or not. I called Tesla service and set up a remote diagnostic check. (this was last wednesday)

They monitored the battery until Yesterday and just got a call back today. Faulty cell - the pack has to be replaced.

Just a FYI - If you think something might be wrong get it checked. Numerous people kept barking at me stating that the car shows an adjusted range based on driving habits - I knew this was false and went directly to Tesla. I can still drive the car until the new pack comes in which is good..

anyway. TL:DR 292 miles full charge after 40 days - Bad Cell - Getting a new Pack
I read on other Forums that there's a service bulletin out for some M3 P3D's. I haven't found what date range the cars were produced in that are impacted other than last fall. I too have noticed a degradation, nothing as significant as yours. Based on my rate of degradation it would reach its end of life (80% SoC) in about 4-1/2 years - far short of the 8 year warranty.

So this weekend i did short road trip and when charging at home in a garage at 33 F with a NEMA 14-50 charger the most i could get is 300 mi...after 30 mins and charge rate falling from 30mph to 4mph, i manually stopped the charge at 98% knowing that i'll be depleting the battery below 30% then using a Supercharger; it should do a reset. So ran the battery down to 22 & 21% and charged back to 80% time for each leg of the trip. Once at home I did a full charge; it stopped at 306 mi. Better than the 300 mi, but still not 310. By the time i went to work the next morning the SoC fell from 306 to 303 so now I'm down to 98%. Aside from this concern the car has performed wonderfully!

• Informative
I read on other Forums that there's a service bulletin out for some M3 P3D's. I haven't found what date range the cars were produced in that are impacted other than last fall. I too have noticed a degradation, nothing as significant as yours. Based on my rate of degradation it would reach its end of life (80% SoC) in about 4-1/2 years - far short of the 8 year warranty.

So this weekend i did short road trip and when charging at home in a garage at 33 F with a NEMA 14-50 charger the most i could get is 300 mi...after 30 mins and charge rate falling from 30mph to 4mph, i manually stopped the charge at 98% knowing that i'll be depleting the battery below 30% then using a Supercharger; it should do a reset. So ran the battery down to 22 & 21% and charged back to 80% time for each leg of the trip. Once at home I did a full charge; it stopped at 306 mi. Better than the 300 mi, but still not 310. By the time i went to work the next morning the SoC fell from 306 to 303 so now I'm down to 98%. Aside from this concern the car has performed wonderfully!

This seems completely normal, you will most likely get the rest of the miles once the warmer weather rolls around again.

Glad you are loving it

Based on my rate of degradation it would reach its end of life (80% SoC) in about 4-1/2 years - far short of the 8 year warranty.

The warranty doesn't replace the battery until it has lost 30% of the capacity. (So when a 100% charge reports 217 miles Tesla would have to replace the battery, assuming you are under the 8 year/120k mile limits.)

Reactions: outdoors
Just wondering, it is known that especially if you have the 20" tires that the range is going to be less. The range at 100 percent, isn't that also dependent on your driving habits?

Tesla Model S/X/3 range at 55/60/65/70/75/80 mph

According to this technically P3D+ should be advertised with 269, so I would not be surprised if full charge was a bit less than EPA.

Then again if you have P3D- then you might have an issue. AWD full charge for me is 304 miles, expected due to my driving habits.
Actually, all M3's can achieve 310 mi; drive a bit slower (62 mph instead of 65). My P3D+ on a rare warm winter day (68F) i was getting a predicted range greater than 310 mi (predicted mi / SoC %). I was also driving at speeds 40-60 mph and had an avg energy usage of 237 Wh/mi and i'm not a conservative driver.

When the battery indicator is displaying miles; it's another way of stating the SoC and for my P3D this can happen when run a ~62 mph at 77 F. This is why that indicator is often called "Ideal Range". A 100% SoC is equivalent to 310 mi when the car is run at these ideal conditions. The predicted range takes into account driving habits, tire pressure, temperature, wind speed, drivetrain losses etc.

So don't confuse Ideal miles with predicted. If you aren't getting 100% or 310 mi this means your battery is starting to degrade or may need to have a reset. If you do a full charge and the best you get is 248 mi, which is 80% of 310, your battery is at its end of life as defined by the USG.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Until the winter hit I was using 70% since that gave plenty of range. Since it got colder I've been using 85% daily charging. I've done a number of 100% as well which is good once in a while I've read to let the BMS know what its got to work with. Daily km's ranges from 30-100 depending on the kid's activities!

Thanks.
I suspect if you charge to 90%, and had a few runs that take you down to 20%, you would find you have no degradation.
Likely your batteries just need a little balancing.
The 100% charge will only really help balance the batteries if you then drive it down to about 20%. (This based on personal experience and other threads ).

That is not a concern. As Model S owners know, degradation is NOT linear. You lose a bit over first 12-18 months and little to nothing thereafter.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.