Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the rumor about them being staggered is because Tsportsline shows them as staggered:
The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

But they are not an authority on how they will come.

And as pointed out- they aren't actually saying that.

They're saying the prototype alpha model 3 20s used for testing were staggered.

And they additionally mention the only production 20s Tesla offers (via the store) are NOT staggered.

Your link said:
  • Details: This is the alpha sport wheel seen on Tesla Model 3 prototypes. A Non-staggered Wheel & Tire Package is available on the Tesla online store as of March 20, 2018.
So it was always tough to find any way that counted as "proof" the P would have staggered 20s since careful reading told the opposite story... that Tesla initially tested staggered 20s, and eventually decided against them and only brought non-staggered ones into production.

Still debating with myself if I should get the $5000 performance upgrade:

Pro
- want the performance brakes but don't care it they are red
- want the 155 max speed although I don't need it
- this package may be needed for future ludicrous mode (can someone clarify if this is the case?)
- like the styling of the 20" wheels but the 19" look just as good if I buy them from the Tesla store afterwords

Cons
- waste of money
- 20" tires are about a little over 3x more expensive than 18" to replace so maintenance cost will be high
- many have shown that bigger wheels are more for looks than performance; in fact smaller lighter wheels may outperform
- don't care about carbon fiber spoiler because like the sleek look - in fact if I do get this package I will ask them to not install
- don't particularly care about metal pedals

Reactions: MrPinrel
Again....maybe it doesn't need brakes. lol

Are there any current Model 3 owners out there that have drifted like the video? I know the following question is down right stupid, however I must ask for the purpose of this thread...……

If anyone out there has drifted in a Model 3......how did the brakes perform? lol

Brakes would not have any effect on a driving maneuver such as drifting like this. Unless of course this is a programmed setting that has a higher threshold for yaw to allow this to happen In a controlled way(track mode). I could see that...damit I think I'm gonna upgrade to the 5k package if the tesla rep confirms I dont loose wifi and keep my place in line....with that being said anyone want to buy brand new 20" wheels with a 60 mile drive from the delivery center? Or do a aero wheel plus cash trade lol.

- this package may be needed for future ludicrous mode (can someone clarify if this is the case?)

Not sure there's anything to clarify- this seems to be one of those "facts" that is based on literally no actual facts right now.

But even if we pretend there will be an additional speed upgrade available in the future- I can't imagine Tesla would offer an entirely-software performance upgrade and not make it so as many people as possible can hand them cash for flipping a switch. (Or possibly flipping a switch and selling them 20" wheels if they really insist for no apparent reason that you "need" them)

Fyi, I will be receiving and official email stating the specifics about the caliper design or of it indeed is just the color, along with a definite answer on whether studio design changes effect place in delivery timeline and/or free lifetime wifi benefit. I will post my findings after I recieve the email.

Fyi, I will be receiving and official email stating the specifics about the caliper design or of it indeed is just the color, along with a definite answer on whether studio design changes effect place in delivery timeline and/or free lifetime wifi benefit. I will post my findings after I recieve the email.
Official statements have already been posted.

Is this going to be another "official statement" from a front line Tesla CSR who heard something from someone else in the company, who heard it from another person who has an in with Elon's dog walker?

oh really? Can you provide link.
I think he was referring to the dozens of "official statements" people have gotten from Tesla employees that are inconsistent and contradictory.

Reactions: PessimiStick
I know this will be taken as who the hell am I to know better. But I guarantee the brakes on the performance model with performance package are upgraded. Brembo thru out and larger.

Let the *sugar* storm start. Lol

No but really you will get diff brakes with the perf package.

That is all the info I have.

I know this will be taken as who the hell am I to know better. But I guarantee the brakes on the performance model with performance package are upgraded. Brembo thru out and larger.

Let the *sugar* storm start. Lol

No but really you will get diff brakes with the perf package.

That is all the info I have.

We've known that for weeks- Musk confirmed different brakes on the P back then.

The question has been if the P without the 5k upgrade gets them (since his tweet was before the P offered any real split of options)

We've known that for weeks- Musk confirmed different brakes on the P back then.

The question has been if the P without the 5k upgrade gets them (since his tweet was before the P offered any real split of options)

Exactly. The performance version was always going to come with the upgraded brakes. The color red on the calipers happened after Ryan sent the tweet to Elon requesting them and the same goes for the aluminum pedals. The black performance version that was spotted the other day had non painted calipers with 20" wheels.

If not what do you get from the AWD to the performance version for 11k other the improved 0-60 acceleration. The base performance version is still a performance car and I hope that it come with some performance oriented improvements compared to the AWD version.