Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh really? Can you provide link.
Other people have provided official links as they say the same way you will. They say they have received emails and other official communications with Tesla and posted it as official.

JUST like what you are doing.

The links are everywhere.

Everyone slow down.....and hold on to all of your dislikes. I was being sarcastic as everyone thinks their emails and conversations with Tesla are "official".

Reactions: Petra
why?

On the S/X it's more than 11k for literally nothing other than faster acceleration.

Well just speculating like everyone else - also I feel if you provide a car with faster acceleration you should provide brakes to match. More regen with AWD isn't enough to cover it (in my book) since there are times when regen is limited due to temperature, battery SOC or other reasons.

That would suggest (I would hope), if red calipers are more than just red in color, that AWD calipers != Performance calipers if the above logic where to pan out.. thus I find it even harder to believe Tesla would have different caliper sets for

1) rear drive
2) AWD,
3) performance
4) performance plus.

To repeat, just my musing so flames to /dev/null ;)

I wish Tesla (Elon?) would come out and provide the details.

Well just speculating like everyone else - also I feel if you provide a car with faster acceleration you should provide brakes to match.

This never made much sense to me.

In a 200 hp or 400 hp version of an otherwise similar car, when you take your foot off the accelerator to stop it's effectively the same car.

Why would the fact it got to 60 a full second sooner have anything to do with it stopping from 60?

Now, by all means, if you plan to take the car to a race track (of the non drag variety) you may do well with upgraded brakes for a number of reasons... but that's equally true of a 200 or 400 hp car as well...

In street use though? complete waste of money on either, other than looks.

That would suggest (I would hope), if red calipers are more than just red in color, that AWD calipers != Performance calipers if the above logic where to pan out.. thus I find it even harder to believe Tesla would have different caliper sets for

1) rear drive
2) AWD,
3) performance
4) performance plus.

No flames, but I've seen no suggestion at all that RWD and AWD are any different on brakes (other than AWD having more regen)

So there's only 2 sets. regular and red/upgraded.

The only question is if the performance model gets the red ones without the 5k upgrade.

If it does then the 5k package is an even crappier deal than it first appeared, since you could just spend $1000 on the same tires for the 18s and likely get equal or better performance for $4000 less (well, better up to 145 mph at least if they really software lock the no-5k-pack to 145 instead of 155)

Last edited:
Fair, but I don't recall Elon posting on Twitter about the performance Model S in such a way as to set the expectation that it would be a legitimate BMW M5 competitor. The performance Model 3, on the other hand...

Well, he said the S was "like BMW 5 and 6 series, but much faster, more storage space + Autopilot"

And he personally owned an M5 before building the S

Why would the fact it got to 60 a full second sooner have anything to do with it stopping from 60?

If you can get to a higher speed in a shorter time/distance then it might be the case you 'run out of room' faster and might want better brakes - note this might also mean you ran out of brains and/or talent too quickly as well...

In the case where stopping distance in relation to acquired velocity is not an issue, agree no difference of import...

Well just speculating like everyone else - also I feel if you provide a car with faster acceleration you should provide brakes to match. More regen with AWD isn't enough to cover it (in my book) since there are times when regen is limited due to temperature, battery SOC or other reasons.

1) rear drive
2) AWD,
3) performance
4) performance plus.

That's very true. In fact, most manufacturers add better performance brakes to their performance lines. If you have a car that can achieve greater momentum faster, you need brakes that can counteract that momentum as effectively. Some people will keep posting ad nauseum about "normal street driving" but that's just a strawman argument. Because no one's driving 155 on the street. But since a car is capable of it, it should have brakes that are capable of stopping it from that speed.

Reactions: Msjulie
flames, but I've seen no suggestion at all that RWD and AWD are any different on brakes (other than AWD having more regen)

The only question is if the performance model gets the red ones without the 5k upgrade.

If it does then the 5k package is an even crappier deal than it first appeared, since you could just spend $1000 on the same tires for the 18s and likely get equal or better performance for $4000 less (well, better up to 145 mph at least if they really software lock the no-5k-pack to 145 instead of 155)

One of the only things that is clear is that the 5K upgrade has red calipers that appear to be "performance" based on the description. The question I have and continue to have is if the performance model without that package has upgraded brakes. The reason this is so unclear is because Elon decided to completely change the pricing structure without any additional description of what the different tiers would include.

Last edited:

As you said, this is the question - are there 2 or 3 sets of calipers (well 2.5 if you consider red-painted performance calipers not a full change worths...).

Personally I believe the performance plus package is biased towards cosmetics for 'most people', ie 20" rims look cool, the tires look cool and the carbon fiber winglet thing looks cool. Not saying there are no benefits there because there are - but if you price them, the rims + tires + spoiler in the store right now are about = to the 5k upgrade

I also stand by my assertion (and hope) that a car that accelerates faster should have brakes to match. Top speed is different in performance vs performance plus but (at least now) there's no evidence they accelerate any differently

1) rear drive
2) AWD,
3) performance
4) performance plus.

I think..... If you can get to 60 MPH in 2 seconds as opposed to 6 seconds would require the same brakes to get back down to 0 MPH. It really does not take more brakes to get from 60 to 0 just because you get up to 60MPH quicker on the acceleration side.

Also....getting to 60 MPH quicker should mean that you have more room to get back to 0 MPH.

Reactions: rlb4
I think..... If you can get to 60 MPH in 2 seconds as opposed to 6 seconds would require the same brakes to get back down to 0 MPH. It really does not take more brakes to get from 60 to 0 just because you get up to 60MPH quicker on the acceleration side.

Also....getting to 60 MPH quicker should mean that you have more room to get back to 0 MPH.

I think it's more about getting to 155, and at that speed it doesn't just take more brakes, but also better brakes, to safely stop quickly. A single piston caliper will deflect or cause some squirrelly action between the two front wheels and you could crash. I've never been on a forum where so many people are trying to convince everyone the car doesn't need better brakes. The BMW Elon is using as a benchmark has 380mm rotors, with optional 400mm ceramic rotors. if the model 3 is going to beat "anything in its class on the track" it will need performance brakes.

I'll agree to disagree with you; I want shorter stopping distances if my car can achieve greater velocity in a shorter distance.

That said, I didn't want 20" rims so regardless of brakes, means better tires to help get that shorter distance...

I think it's more about getting to 155, and at that speed it doesn't just take more brakes, but also better brakes, to safely stop quickly. A single piston caliper will deflect or cause some squirrelly action between the two front wheels and you could crash. I've never been on a forum where so many people are trying to convince everyone the car doesn't need better brakes. The BMW Elon is using as a benchmark has 380mm rotors, with optional 400mm ceramic rotors. if the model 3 is going to beat "anything in its class on the track" it will need performance brakes.
performance brakes = performance upgrade to the performance model.

I'll agree to disagree with you; I want shorter stopping distances if my car can achieve greater velocity in a shorter distance.

That said, I didn't want 20" rims so regardless of brakes, means better tires to help get that shorter distance...

What makes you believe that the current braking system is subpar to what you want? Why wont you be able to stop when you want with the current setup?

If you can get to a higher speed in a shorter time/distance then it might be the case you 'run out of room' faster and might want better brakes - note this might also mean you ran out of brains and/or talent too quickly as well...

Wouldn't you have more room if you get to speed quicker?

Apart from which, in a single panic stop where you realize you made a mistake, "bigger" brakes won't help you at all.

Stock model 3 with stock brakes and say 20" wheels to give us space for part 2.... and same car with the biggest brakes that'll fit under 20" wheels will both stop in exactly the same distance with the same tires on the wheels.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

See also that $10,000 brake upgrade Porsche sells... that stops the car in exactly the same distance the stock brakes do the first time. It's the 50th time in back-to-back-to-back abuse on a race track that those 10k brakes do anything useful.... and even then all they do is maintain that same-as-stock distance over more of those repeated abusive stops- they never, and can't, stop the car shorter than the stock brakes could the first time

Well you're on to something there :) better tires are the only thing that insures shorter stopping distances- they're what limits the cars ability to stop every time no matter how massive the brakes are.

That's very true. In fact, most manufacturers add better performance brakes to their performance lines.

Interestingly- Tesla didn't do so on the S or X though.

If you have a car that can achieve greater momentum faster, you need brakes that can counteract that momentum as effectively.

I mean, you factually don't, because that's not how physics works....

A car going 60 that got there in 3.5 seconds and then moves to the brake pedal, and a car going 60 that got there in 4.5 seconds and then moves to the brake pedal have literally the same momentum

momentum is equal to mass times velocity. Both cars have the same mass (barring one driver being fatter I suppose...) and the same velocity. Therefore both cars have exactly the same momentum.

And again, you're limited by the tires. "better brakes" won't help at all for street use since even the stock brakes can apply more force than the tires can use, and won't experience fade doing it.

Some people will keep posting ad nauseum about "normal street driving" but that's just a strawman argument.

No, it's a fact based understanding of how physics works, and pointing out that for people not taking their Tesla to a (non-drag) race track, a brake upgrade will do literally nothing useful on the car.

For folks who do intend to race the car on a track better brakes can absolutely make a significant difference because unlike in street driving they will be repeatedly stopping back to back to back from high speeds....but that's equally true on the regular AWD or RWD models.... unless you think the stock brakes are just fine stopping from 145 but somehow explode if you need to stop from 146...

(but even then the car won't ever stop shorter than it could the first time with stock brakes... it'll just maintain that distance over more heavy duty stops before it gets longer)

So the point is- the car being "quicker" has nothing whatsoever to do with "needing" better brakes.

If the car will be used on a (non-drag) race track does. Regardless of which version of the car you get.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and Dave EV
Wouldn't you have more room if you get to speed quicker?

Apart from which, in a single panic stop where you realize you made a mistake, "bigger" brakes won't help you at all.

Stock model 3 with stock brakes and say 20" wheels to give us space for part 2.... and same car with the biggest brakes that'll fit under 20" wheels will both stop in exactly the same distance with the same tires on the wheels.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

See also that $10,000 brake upgrade Porsche sells... that stops the car in exactly the same distance the stock brakes do the first time. It's the 50th time in back-to-back-to-back abuse on a race track that those 10k brakes do anything useful.... and even then all they do is maintain that same-as-stock distance over more of those repeated abusive stops- they never, and can't, stop the car shorter than the stock brakes could the first time

Well you're on to something there :) better tires are the only thing that insures shorter stopping distances- they're what limits the cars ability to stop every time no matter how massive the brakes are.

Interestingly- Tesla didn't do so on the S or X though.

I mean, you factually don't, because that's not how physics works....

A car going 60 that got there in 3.5 seconds and then moves to the brake pedal, and a car going 60 that got there in 4.5 seconds and then moves to the brake pedal have literally the same momentum

momentum is equal to mass times velocity. Both cars have the same mass (barring one driver being fatter I suppose...) and the same velocity. Therefore both cars have exactly the same momentum.

And again, you're limited by the tires. "better brakes" won't help at all for street use since even the stock brakes can apply more force than the tires can use, and won't experience fade doing it.

No, it's a fact based understanding of how physics works, and pointing out that for people not taking their Tesla to a (non-drag) race track, a brake upgrade will do literally nothing useful on the car.

For folks who do intend to race the car on a track better brakes might well make a significant difference because unlike in street driving they will be repeatedly stopping back to back to back from high speeds....

(but even then the car won't ever stop shorter than it could the first time with stock brakes... it'll just maintain that distance over more heavy duty stops before it gets longer)

Why would you buy a 3.5 second 0-60 car that does 155 and not take it to the track? No one needs to accelerate that fast in normal driving. Yet people buy them. Better yet, why would you have no plans to buy one but try to convince everyone again and again they don't need performance brakes? I might not have a degree in physics but any layman knows that when a car company is trying to beat an M3 on the track, they put performance brakes on the car. And maybe one day I will get caught up in international intrigue and need to have a quick getaway through the streets of San Francisco. You and your little ass brakes would be toast and I would escape with the microfilm.

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer
Why would you buy a 3.5 second 0-60 car that does 155 and not take it to the track? No one needs to accelerate that fast in normal driving. Yet people buy them. Better yet, why would you have no plans to buy one but try to convince everyone again and again they don't need performance brakes? I might not have a degree in physics but any layman knows that when a car company is trying to beat an M3 on the track, they put performance brakes on the car. And maybe one day I will get caught up in international intrigue and need to have a quick getaway through the streets of San Francisco. You and your little ass brakes would be toast and I would escape with the microfilm.
I checked all buttons and I'm not going to the track. I plan on using the 0-60 times every day, however I have no plans to utilize the 155 top speed.

Reactions: ccutrer