Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Performance Brake Calipers" just red or different altogether?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But why are they changing the control arms? Will the 20" not fit otherwise? What if I later want to put 20s, will I have to change my control arms?

They don't change the control arms, they only change the rear upper fore links. I assume it has to do with the camber adjustment.

I don't know if you would need to revert to the original fore links to go back to 18" or 19" wheels. (The site doesn't say anything, and the manual doesn't mention them at all.)

They don't change the control arms, they only change the rear upper fore links. I assume it has to do with the camber adjustment.

I don't know if you would need to revert to the original fore links to go back to 18" or 19" wheels. (The site doesn't say anything, and the manual doesn't mention them at all.)
So then I am assuming that all those who bought the car with Aero 18" wheels and upgraded to 20" wheels are now having alignment problems due to the inability to do proper camber adjustment?

The 20" tire package comes with the rear fore links and are installed at the same time as the tires/wheels.
I understand but why would the fore links come with the 20" unless the the ones that come with the 18" wheels where inappropriate for putting 20" wheels on them.

Therefore I can conclude that those who bought the car with Aero 18" wheels and upgraded to after market 20" wheels will have problems with alignment unless they also change their links.

To clarify some confusion about the suspension changes with the $5k Perf Upgrade which includes the 20" wheels:

The suspension changes are not related to the 20" wheels, they are related to the suspension sitting 1cm lower. When you install shorter springs, unless the car has adjustable camber from the factory (such as many BMW products), you will need a "camber kit" in order for your tires to still be in-spec camber-wise. Tesla's installing this kit for you. This means that you are free to change to any other wheels you wish, such as the 18" Aeros, without a worry in the world -- your car will still be 1cm lower than a stock TM3, and camber will still be in spec.

To clarify some confusion about the suspension changes with the $5k Perf Upgrade which includes the 20" wheels:

The suspension changes are not related to the 20" wheels, they are related to the suspension sitting 1cm lower. When you install shorter springs, unless the car has adjustable camber from the factory (such as many BMW products), you will need a "camber kit" in order for your tires to still be in-spec camber-wise. Tesla's installing this kit for you. This means that you are free to change to any other wheels you wish, such as the 18" Aeros, without a worry in the world -- your car will still be 1cm lower than a stock TM3, and camber will still be in spec.

Can’t argue that lowering the car affects camber but you can purchase the 20” tire package from the Tesla store for the RWD non-lowered car that is described by Tesla as:

“Upgrade your Model 3 with 20” Sport wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for enhanced performance and style. This package includes rear suspension adjustments to optimize ride quality, and is only available for installation after delivery.

Note that high-performance wheels and tires may affect your range.

Includes:

• 4 x 20X8.5J Sport wheels
  • 4 x 235/35/20 – Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
  • 4 x tire pressure sensors
  • 4 x Tesla logo Sport wheel center caps
  • 2 x rear upper fore links”
It is the rear upper fore links that were being discussed initially.

Yeah- that's the question.

You can change suspension height via control arms, so it's possible that's why the P with 20s is lower (it remains unclear if ONLY the P with 20s is lower, or if all Ps are)

If they're changing height with springs it's weird they'd bother to develop a new part (or multiple new parts if the shocks are also different) and then have it be such a tiny drop.

Can’t argue that lowering the car affects camber but you can purchase the 20” tire package from the Tesla store for the RWD non-lowered car that is described by Tesla as:

“Upgrade your Model 3 with 20” Sport wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for enhanced performance and style. This package includes rear suspension adjustments to optimize ride quality, and is only available for installation after delivery.

Note that high-performance wheels and tires may affect your range.

Includes:

• 4 x 20X8.5J Sport wheels
  • 4 x 235/35/20 – Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
  • 4 x tire pressure sensors
  • 4 x Tesla logo Sport wheel center caps
  • 2 x rear upper fore links”
It is the rear upper fore links that were being discussed initially.
I don't get why 20" wheels need new rear upper fore links. Does this have to do with lowering? It doesn't look like it since they would not be lowering the car when you install 20" post sale. And then why only rear links? Are they lowering the rear only?

Where is this page? and what do you mean by "performance package", the performance upgrade or the base performance?

Someone posted this early this morning-

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/screen-shot-2018-07-16-at-9-04-54-am.118626/

Shows the suspension change as an "upgrade" on the P, as in- part of the $5000 performance package.

Still no details though on if it's just a geometry change for the 20s or a "real" suspension upgrade like different springs/shocks

Where is this page? and what do you mean by "performance package", the performance upgrade or the base performance?

Here you go...

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 9.32.26 AM.png

-Shane