Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance price increase

Do you think this could be a mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 76.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I was planning on cash purchasing a P in late Feb/March. As much as it pains me, I will likely hold off until later in the year now - to both save a bit or to see if the price drops back once the change to MIC and importation is complete. Hopefully, there isn't an announcement by a competitor in the meantime or I decide to put the money into something other than a car (which I am erring to now tbh).

I 100% agree that for £60k the performance of the car is great value, but to me at least, there are compromises elsewhere.

I did have a look at the prices across Europe for the M3 Performance as many in other groups are pointing to these. Poland £51K, Germany £49k, Switzerland £47k, Norway £42k, France £52k, Belgium\Holland\Lux £56k. Even Ireland with their ridiculous VRT charge is £56k.

Also, UK (and Ireland) deliveries for the P are currently penned in for May, but they are March for the European countries mentioned.

I do not want to speculate as to why the UK has the most expensive M3P in Europe. The 2-month delay for delivery is interesting as well, and I have no idea as to why.

Silly money now. As much as I love mine, I won’t get one again when the lease is up this September, the payments will just be too high. I’m not sure if I could go for a long range after having the performance ‍♂️ A Berlin long range model Y though, I could do that.

• Love
Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Silly money now. As much as I love mine, I won’t get one again when the lease is up this September, the payments will just be too high. I’m not sure if I could go for a long range after having the performance ‍♂️ A Berlin long range model Y though, I could do that.

I had a P- for 12 m0nths. The novelty wore off changed it for an LR after 11 months. No noticeableddifference in performance but a much better ride in the LR. Sounds like the perfect time to get out of the Performance and into a 20

Reactions: AnthonyLR
There is very little between the 0-60 of a LR boost v P. Certainly not enough to justify the extra price alone. When I got mine end of 2019, boost just came out and the YouTube videos showed very little difference. Even Tesla had different methods of calculating the 0-60.

Increase in price of P is probably to push the price of Plaid pretty high when it comes out. If a P is £60k, plaid will likely be positioned again BMW M’s. £70k plus, maybe more. Of course Plaid will be much quicker.

I don’t know where the market is heading but the Model 3 at the top end is starting to look very pricey. Big difference in a relative short space of time. Certainly no longer an ‘Everyman’ car.

No way I would pay that much for shoddy build, weird customer service etc.

I don’t know where the market is heading but the Model 3 at the top end is starting to look very pricey.
Completely agree. Not quite the "car for the masses". I guess that would be the LR.
I suppose it makes financial sense to milk that cash cow for as long as it works, though. Once Model Y is available in the UK I suspect demand for the M3 will fall off a cliff.

Reactions: UrbanSplash
At 60K it also drops the M3P right into the AMG C63 price bracket. A quick look on the MB site shows you can get a brand new C63 for 54K(with dealer discount) , which you can add on all the goodies to be under 60K. Given the choice, I suspect a lot of people looking for a fast saloon would go for the C63

As for model Y, I expect that to cost at least 5K more than a model 3, which brings it right into the realms of the big Audi/Jag/Merc EV's plus top line Mach-E's. Now while I am sure the MY will have superior stats it's a tougher fight at that price point

Always wondered if the P3D-'s performance was just a LR with the boost.

Initially the P3D and LR AWD had identical motor hardware, so the P3D- was literally an LR AWD with P3 software. Then sometime in 2019 the LR AWD got a slightly lower spec rear motor. So with boost it is still slightly down on P3 performance. But there's not a lot in it.

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216 and m3p_uk
So with boost it is still slightly down on P3 performance. But there's not a lot in it.

I spent some time wondering whether to buy a 3P or LR. In the end, sensible me decided I didn't need a spoiler or different wheels so I went for the LR with Boost. The fact the car was faster 0-60 than my 2009 Jaguar XKR was a source of wonder in itself. For 0.5 seconds, I don't think the difference would push me to a 3P. Now, if Tesla upped the 3P to sub 2.0 seconds....possibly, sensible me would be persuaded.

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and pow216
I think this graph illustrates why the LR really is a good option in the UK (priced as it is to come under the £50k limit for the UK EV grant of £3k):

LR-price.gif

In the UK, the LR price is a lot closer to the SR+ price, whereas it is closer to the P price in the US and Canada. In Norway, the LR sits exactly half way between. Prices are from tesla.com on 7 Feb and include grants etc. but not fuel savings.

I spent some time wondering whether to buy a 3P or LR. In the end, sensible me decided I didn't need a spoiler or different wheels so I went for the LR with Boost. The fact the car was faster 0-60 than my 2009 Jaguar XKR was a source of wonder in itself. For 0.5 seconds, I don't think the difference would push me to a 3P. Now, if Tesla upped the 3P to sub 2.0 seconds....possibly, sensible me would be persuaded.

I don't think it's even quite half a second. The P model 0-60 time of 3.1s is quoted with 1 ft roll-out, while all the other models are not. I think a standard LR AWD 0-60 time with 1ft roll-out is 3.9s, so with boost it would be around 3.4s by the same measurement as used for the P model.

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216 and m3p_uk