Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Version – tweaking and tuning, wheels and tires, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just weighed the stock wheels off the car – 53 pounds. If the tire is somewhere between 21 and 22 pounds that gives you 31 pounds or 31.5 pounds for the wheel. Those are the facts. The Advanti wheel is 23 pounds. That's between an 8 and an 8.5 pound difference. If you can't tell that difference, don't spend the money. I'm pretty sure I can, especially on New England roads. Let's put this to bed. Facts are facts.

The Advanti wheel is 23.65 pounds. The tires, if you are planning on using 245 width PS4S are 24 pounds. Even the 235 width tires are 23.1 pounds according to the Michelin website. That's 47.65 pounds vs. 53 pound stock setup. A net difference of 5.35 pounds. Exactly what I said! Those are the facts. If you're concerned with New England roads I'd stick to OEM or 19s, or the forged group buy wheels, which I am seriously considering. But having driven the 20s I can say it shouldn't be a problem either way as long as you don't look for potholes to hit. Let's put this to bed. Facts are facts.

Also, if all you're looking to improve is ride quality, you may be disappointed. But in a theoretical vaccuum you should have better response and handling.

Last edited:
They're the Advanti titanium mirror finish Svelto wheel - see here. They can also be gotten in 19 inch sizes either 8.5 x 19 or 9.5 x 19 – the latter size being perfect if you really want to go radical 265/35-19 or even 275/35-19.

That's the size I'd be looking to get on all four corners, 19 X 9.5 265/35/19. They're almost identical circumference to the OEM 20s. But I'm gonna at least use the OEMs for a while to get a baseline.

Great thread concept. I'd argue that a lot of this needs to be broken down into separate threads/stickies: Wheel/tire, Exterior mods, Interior mods, Suspension mods, Electric mods, etc.

I'd also offer this up. It's easy to get excited and want to modify your cars, but hold off a bit until there's more available that's specifically built for this particular model.

Excited to come on board. Can't wait to get my car. Put the car on delay while I sell my BMW M3. Damn test drive got me...;)

Reactions: dfwatt
Great thread concept. I'd argue that a lot of this needs to be broken down into separate threads/stickies: Wheel/tire, Exterior mods, Interior mods, Suspension mods, Electric mods, etc.

I'd also offer this up. It's easy to get excited and want to modify your cars, but hold off a bit until there's more available that's specifically built for this particular model.

Excited to come on board. Can't wait to get my car. Put the car on delay while I sell my BMW M3. Damn test drive got me...;)

That's a great idea about specializing the subtopics into distinct threads - can that be effectuated once a thread has started? If so, please advise.

Model Sticker w/premium equip 0-60 (no r/o) 1/4mi MPG (city/hi average)

Telsa 3P $76,000 w/20s, 450 hp 3.5 11.6 116

BMW 3 $82,000 w/20s, 444 hp 3.8 12.1 20

Mercedes C63 $92,000 w/19s, 503 hp 3.8 12.1 18

Cadillac ATS-V $76,000 w/ 464 hp, options 3.8 12.1 20

Audi S6 $85,000 w/450hp, options 3.9 12.2 21

Audi S4 $65,000 w/19s, prestige, etc 4.2 12.8 24

Lexus RC-F $77,000 w/20s, 467 hp 4.4 12.9 19

Infiniti Q60 $63,000 w/AWD, 400 hp 4.5 13.0 23

This was created to compare Tesla M3P with other premium sports sedans, including the class benchmarks, the M3, and C63. I tried to get list prices with comparable premium options, including radar cruise, metallic paint, premium sound systems, etc. Does anyone think that this car isn't going to simply capture the market over time?

Reactions: Lindenwood
Actually Shizzrock, you're the one being condescending and contemptuous - from the get go. The 'boat anchor' metaphor was a joke that somehow really got under your skin. And I was asking you seriously if you had an science or engineering background. I guess you took that personally for some reason. As for the 32 lbs wt being made up, you need to check out the available information on line, for example, here. Do your homework before you enter a debate unprepared with facts. It's a fact that most serious car designers, esp. looking at optimizing suspensions, wheels and tires, try to minimize unsprung weight. That seems something you are contesting - why I have no idea because it's not a controversial claim.

Would you care to place a $1000 bet that the weight difference between the stock wheel and the Advanti same size wheel is more than 5 lbs? Care to put your money where your mouth is? It would be the easiest money I made this year.

For that matter, while we're on the subject, do you even own the car (Model 3 Performance version with 20 inch wheels?)

This is a good parable, after meeting you and your wife at a Vermont supercharger quite randomly, you two were super nice. Slowly, like that movie Memento, I realized you were familiar to me, but couldn't place it. Little did I know that you were my nemesis online! It goes to show that a little civility should work online as well as in real life, I'll accept any part I played to not deescalate the vitriol. Great work with all the mods, as you can see I do own a P3! Also, you told me my stock wheels were 29 pounds that day, does this mean we finally agree?! All kidding aside, it was nice to meet you and looking forward to your future mods.

Advanti Hybris 20-inch, about 23 pounds per wheel. Discount Tire worked me a deal at one of the San Antonio locations. Love them so far!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 77