Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla process these in the standard White first? Anyone got their VINS on Blue or Red?
No, they process as they go. The cars getting VINs now were most likely built before thanksgiving along with other trim levels. They do go in a cycle and to be honest it seems lately that MSM is the first one to be produced. As that was the first color for the model Y to be produced and for the refreshed 2021 model 3. Again, they built a ton of model 3 performance cars for overseas in all of the colors and interior combinations. The USA ones are now coming off line again. They also do this with logistic behind it. So if a truck is going to Huston and is 3/4 full they will filled it with another order if it’s built or about to be built to complete that truck. If that make sense. Now I could be wrong but from my families experience (one who works for Tesla) that’s how it worked with the 3 when they started and has somewhat continued with early Model Y and I don’t expect it any different this go around except that it’s the end of the year, so it will be crunch time here in about 2 weeks.

Reactions: c4Lvin
For any Norwegians watching this thread.
Ship with most of the TM3P is expected to arrive Drammen on December 14th, with deliveries starting 2 days after arrival. They process cars in the order they're unloaded, so picking from existing inventory today you might get a car before somebody who ordered in October depending on where it's physically placed in the ship.
Initial inspection is done before they ship them to Norway, and when they arrive they are all prepped (probably stuff like changing to winter tires, going over details, et al.) which is why it takes ~2 days before delivery starts.
With your VIN they can see if the car has been unloaded or not, but they don't have a system to pick it out in a lot. Technically they could flash the lights and have somebody look for it, but they aren't gonna make a big interruption in the normal delivery process to cater for an individual's needs. They move a bunch of cars from the dock to the delivery center, as they can't have all of them there at once, so exact delivery time is handed out in batches.

Spoke to Tesla today, apparently I’m back of the queue as they can’t get a car to me before the end of December because of where I live, so not interested in my order as it won’t count towards there Q4 earnings so have to wait until feb/March when Ordered in October.
Even tho there are same spec inventory cars available but will only sell those who can receive them in December. They did give me the option to pick a car up in lillestrøm mid to late December but don’t fancy the 24hr non stop drive one way. So looks like next year for me

No, they process as they go. The cars getting VINs now were most likely built before thanksgiving along with other trim levels. They do go in a cycle and to be honest it seems lately that MSM is the first one to be produced. As that was the first color for the model Y to be produced and for the refreshed 2021 model 3. Again, they built a ton of model 3 performance cars for overseas in all of the colors and interior combinations. The USA ones are now coming off line again. They also do this with logistic behind it. So if a truck is going to Huston and is 3/4 full they will filled it with another order if it’s built or about to be built to complete that truck. If that make sense. Now I could be wrong but from my families experience (one who works for Tesla) that’s how it worked with the 3 when they started and has somewhat continued with early Model Y and I don’t expect it any different this go around except that it’s the end of the year, so it will be crunch time here in about 2 weeks.
Logistically, you are still more likely to receive a popular color earlier, as it would make sense for Tesla to produce it more often.

Spoke to Tesla today, apparently I’m back of the queue as they can’t get a car to me before the end of December because of where I live, so not interested in my order as it won’t count towards there Q4 earnings so have to wait until feb/March when Ordered in October.
Even tho there are same spec inventory cars available but will only sell those who can receive them in December. They did give me the option to pick a car up in lillestrøm mid to late December but don’t fancy the 24hr non stop drive one way. So looks like next year for me
I would love to have that drive. Unfortunately, as a family man I can't just go on 72h road trips anymore (well I can, but I have other things on my priority list)

Logistically, you are still more likely to receive a popular color earlier, as it would make sense for Tesla to produce it more often.
I can agree with this, but its not *always* the case. like in my example, they could produce a ton of white ones, but if a truck or whatever they would use is loaded for a certain area and they will fill it with another color that is already built so that the truck can be on its way. I agree, the free color is probably the most popular, and will be built at a higher volume but doesn't mean the performance trim level will be built at the same rate. thats what I was getting at. the performance model is for sure not the highest volume car they sell, thats going to the LR and SR+ for sure. you know as some say, we are crazy for needing all that power and Gs that the performance car offers. lol

Reactions: adregia
IMG_20201128_102556.jpg