Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a dream that I received a VIN last night. The obsession is getting bad.

On a side note, is there anyone with an October order not from the west coast who hasn't received a VIN at this point?
I’m in Florida and still haven’t received a vin. I haven’t checked today because it’s getting disheartening LOL I talked to Tesla customer service in Tampa and they said I don’t even have a soft match yet which means I probably won’t get my car until the end of the month.

• Informative
Reactions: adregia
Yeahhh.. at this point, I'm having very little faith that I'll see the car before the 23rd (the outer bounds of my delivery estimate). And I find it miraculously wild that, once again, Tesla is promising delivery this quarter for people who are ordering now.

They pulled this same stunt last year and I'm fairly certain that many November and December orders slipped into January - March (wasn't paying too much attention at that point, though I feel as though I remember reading such a thing from people here).

Yeahhh.. at this point, I'm having very little faith that I'll see the car before the 23rd (the outer bounds of my delivery estimate). And I find it miraculously wild that, once again, Tesla is promising delivery this quarter for people who are ordering now.

They pulled this same stunt last year and I'm fairly certain that many November and December orders slipped into January - March (wasn't paying too much attention at that point, though I feel as though I remember reading such a thing from people here).
This is my anticipation as well. I am not seeing all these deliveries coming in by the end of the year, even though they told people they can order all the way up to Dec 8th and still receive their orders by EOY.

Don't give up just yet! Remember the VIN to delivery time will be very short for us, possibly even a day or two. Locations farther from the factory just get their VINs earlier due to longer shipping times.

I'm in OC too and my delivery window is between now and the 22/23rd (keeps shifting online) so fingers crossed for us!

Don't give up just yet! Remember the VIN to delivery time will be very short for us, possibly even a day or two. Locations farther from the factory just get their VINs earlier due to longer shipping times.

I'm in OC too and my delivery window is between now and the 22/23rd (keeps shifting online) so fingers crossed for us!
Cali is a very different animal compared to the middle and eastern portion of the country. Some in Cali received their vin and delivery in the same day. Lol. Eastern side of the US, is different. If you don’t get a vin by a certain point it’s very unlikely that you will get your car before EOY. That happened back in 2018 and 2019. And 2018 EOY was especially bad because those people lost out on the 7500 tax incentives which Tesla did nothing about to fix that. I get it, Tesla can’t do anything about that portion. But slightly lower the car which still for some didn’t get applied to their accounts. I understand fully how hard logistics can be. But in reality we all know how Tesla is. They do their best. But sometimes miss the target. The closer you get to EOY the more QC issue you have as at that point they just want to car delivered. And lots of stuff will be noted as “within spec”. I hope everyone gets their cars tho. I hope they in good shape and have good QC. I recommend trying to reframing from being to excited as people miss things and then it’s to late to have it repaired or noted. I wrote a long post about a year ago on here about what to expect. But just stay calm, somewhat excited, check periodically for a vin, and try to be prepared on your end as a customer the best you can. That’s about all we can do at this point. I would say the hard cut off for taking delivery by EOY is receiving a VIN (if your on the east coast) no later than 23-24th max! After that it’s going to be extremely hard to get the car within a week. Specially with how the USA is going with the ongoing COVID stuff. But no impossible but hard.

Last edited:
Cali is a very different anti al compared to the middle and eastern portion of the country. Some in Cali received their vin and delivery in the same day. Lol. Eastern side of the US, is different. If you don’t get a vin by a certain point it’s very unlikely that you will get your car before EOY. That happened back in 2018 and 2019. And 2018 EOY was especially bad because those people lost out on the 7500 tax incentives which Tesla did nothing about to fix that. I get it, Tesla can’t do anything about that portion. But slightly lower the car which still for some didn’t get applied to their accounts. I understand fully how hard logistics can be. But in reality we all know how Tesla is. They do their best. But sometimes miss the target. The closer you get to EOY the more QC issue you have as at that point they just want to car delivered. And lots of stuff will be noted as “within spec”. I hope everyone gets their cars tho. I hope they in good shape and have good QC. I recommend trying to reframing from being to excited as people miss things and then it’s to late to have it repaired or noted. I wrote a long post about a year ago on here about what to expect. But just stay calm, somewhat excited, check periodically for a vin, and try to be prepared on your end as a customer the best you can. That’s about all we can do at this point. I would say the hard cut off for taking delivery by EOY is receiving a VIN (if your on the east coast) no later than 23-24th max! After that it’s going to be extremely hard to get the car within a week. Specially with how the USA is going with the ongoing COVID stuff. But no impossible but hard.
My SA told me, I’m taking delivery in Jacksonville, FL, is that it takes two weeks to get to them. It goes by train to Alabama and then on a truck to their DC. So if that is true, then the max cut off for a VIN and delivery EOY would be the 17th at the latest.

• Love
Reactions: Tholland
My SA told me, I’m taking delivery in Jacksonville, FL, is that it takes two weeks to get to them. It goes by train to Alabama and then on a truck to their DC. So if that is true, then the max cut off for a VIN and delivery EOY would be the 17th at the latest.
Yeah this is true. I guess what I was getting at was if it was a car already moving to the east coast. They actually have inventory of 2021 Model 3s LR and SR+ so if those are already closer to the east coast it pushes the EOY date some but. Yes you are 100% correct the 17th is probably the last date or so, if it’s coming from Cali at that point.

Lots of doom and gloom in this thread, especially for those of us on the east coast.
It's hard to be optimistic when there is 0 transparency, communication, or reassurance, you've already waited 7-10 weeks, and expectations set at the time of ordering (5-9 weeks, "you'll get it late November", "finish your profile ASAP to get assigned faster") were way outside of reality.

I had a dream that I received a VIN last night. The obsession is getting bad.

On a side note, is there anyone with an October order not from the west coast who hasn't received a VIN at this point?
In Toronto. I haven't "officially" received mine yet and ordered on Sept 25.

I got a delivery date, and then I called in and they emailed me a VIN, but it's not on my account yet and the delivery date is likely to change apparently.

I imagine that when the car crosses the border this week, things will start to get firmed up for us in Canada.

• Informative
It's hard to be optimistic when there is 0 transparency, communication, or reassurance, you've already waited 7-10 weeks, and expectations set at the time of ordering (5-9 weeks, "you'll get it late November", "finish your profile ASAP to get assigned faster") were way outside of reality.
This.

100% accuracy with the delivery date is impossible when it was 10-11 weeks out from order date (as for me). But they knew for sure within a day or two of my order that I wasn't getting it until Decemeber and just never shared that information.

Still really looking forward to the car, seems soon now and baring some enormous exception, I should get it this week or next.

But it's not a great feeling to know that I'm patronizing a company that could easily be more transparent, but just chooses not to. Not because they don't have the tech or the information. But because demand is high enough that they don't really care about customer service.

Reactions: wesgeo and adregia
Cali is a very different animal compared to the middle and eastern portion of the country. Some in Cali received their vin and delivery in the same day. Lol. Eastern side of the US, is different. If you don’t get a vin by a certain point it’s very unlikely that you will get your car before EOY. That happened back in 2018 and 2019. And 2018 EOY was especially bad because those people lost out on the 7500 tax incentives which Tesla did nothing about to fix that. I get it, Tesla can’t do anything about that portion. But slightly lower the car which still for some didn’t get applied to their accounts. I understand fully how hard logistics can be. But in reality we all know how Tesla is. They do their best. But sometimes miss the target. The closer you get to EOY the more QC issue you have as at that point they just want to car delivered. And lots of stuff will be noted as “within spec”. I hope everyone gets their cars tho. I hope they in good shape and have good QC. I recommend trying to reframing from being to excited as people miss things and then it’s to late to have it repaired or noted. I wrote a long post about a year ago on here about what to expect. But just stay calm, somewhat excited, check periodically for a vin, and try to be prepared on your end as a customer the best you can. That’s about all we can do at this point. I would say the hard cut off for taking delivery by EOY is receiving a VIN (if your on the east coast) no later than 23-24th max! After that it’s going to be extremely hard to get the car within a week. Specially with how the USA is going with the ongoing COVID stuff. But no impossible but hard.

You seem to know everything.

were you able to tell us the stock wheel had a heating element in it when you removed it? I wouldn’t even know what to look for...just curious.

I specifically looked for any sign of a heating element. But there's no way to tell if there are heating coils inside the wheel. All you really see are a cpl of harnesses and brackes and such that hold the rolling switch balls in place and the steering wheel bracket.

Reactions: Cybr.Myk
Just to give perspective. I ordered my P3 on 10/25/2020, wh/black headed to NJ. Received a Vin 39 days later (Dec 3rd). SA says delivery might be 12/18 but no firm date yet. If delivered on the 18th, whole process would be 54 days.

and what timing, vroom finally put my old stealth up for sale

Last edited: