Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does it work if you are waiting/placed and order and one pops up that matches your order?

Does buying that replace my order? Does it impact my order? Or am I then on the hook for 2 cars?

At the end of 4Q20 when it was clear Tesla wasn’t going to be able to deliver on the commitment they made to get me a m3p by year’s end I started hounding the inventory site for available vehicles. Upon finding an available vehicle, I used the online chat with Tesla and asked them to share the VIN of that vehicle with me and quickly communicated with my SA to link that VIN to my order. Once the link was made I immediately was contacted to schedule delivery (the vehicle had to be transported to me, but that’s irrelevant - once I had the VIN and a scheduled delivery date I felt 90% confident I’d get a car in 2020). Delivered to Charlotte on 12/29 for a 12/30 pickup date.

so short answer is that the new vehicle just “takes over” your existing build-to-order order.

Good luck - the car is awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I don't understand the matching process at all. I see the same builds as my custom order on https://ev-tsla.com/ why didn't I get a match to these vehicles?
I think it has to be in your delivery area. Notice the Tesla site will only show you new cars that are within 200 miles of your zip code. I also think it depends on the speed of the matching algorithm. I don't know if someone cancelled their order and so it was just offered up as new because everyone seems to theoretically be already assigned a temp car in the system.

Last edited:
Background info: ordered MSM, white interior, 11/11, CVAP grant expires 3/7, Central California

Okay so kind of a wild last 30 minutes for me. Another friend of mine (who isn’t my SA) at Tesla saw an MSM with black interior come off the line in Fremont and called our mutual friend who is my SA to let him know. She (friend who isn’t my SA) texted me to let me know there was a car that just came out that hasn’t been matched since Tesla makes extra vehicles that aren’t matched right away and asked if I wanted to be matched to it. I called my SA (will refer to other friend as my SA now) but he wasn’t picking up since he was with a customer. My other friend (who isn’t my SA) asked if I wanted her to do it since we weren’t getting responses from my SA. I said yes and have now officially been matched and assigned a VIN.

My SA calls me after and says “why did you do that? I told her to wait because I had to check something first.” So sure enough, my base price for the M3P has switched from 54,990 to the new 55,990 price because my order has been changed. This is not something that can be undone so FYI, if you do see an inventory car in the future, it will NOT be matched at the original order price (if you ordered before the increase). My other friend didn’t know that would happen, but my SA had a feeling that is what would happen. If it were a VIN match to the same configuration, it would have been fine. Since it wasn’t, the price was updated to the current price.

Anyway, I’m not too mad about it. After waiting nearly five months, I’d rather just get the car now. I’ve been bumming off my mom’s car way too long. If I continue to wait for the white interior, my grant would have expired and who knows if something else happens this quarter that pushes it out another quarter.

So, while I am paying the same price for a black interior as I would have paid for the white interior, I’m just glad it’s coming before my grant expires. The grant is for 5k, but I just consider it as a grant for 4K now with the price change. Still though, super blessed it might finally be happening. It’ll be on a truck within 24 hours and hopefully ready for delivery in a couple of days. Still never know what could happen though...pls pray 4 me I guess.

VIN 914xxx

Background info: ordered MSM, white interior, 11/11, CVAP grant expires 3/7, Central California

Okay so kind of a wild last 30 minutes for me. Another friend of mine (who isn’t my SA) at Tesla saw an MSM with black interior come off the line in Fremont and called our mutual friend who is my SA to let him know. She (friend who isn’t my SA) texted me to let me know there was a car that just came out that hasn’t been matched since Tesla makes extra vehicles that aren’t matched right away and asked if I wanted to be matched to it. I called my SA (will refer to other friend as my SA now) but he wasn’t picking up since he was with a customer. My other friend (who isn’t my SA) asked if I wanted her to do it since we weren’t getting responses from my SA. I said yes and have now officially been matched and assigned a VIN.

My SA calls me after and says “why did you do that? I told her to wait because I had to check something first.” So sure enough, my base price for the M3P has switched from 54,990 to the new 55,990 price because my order has been changed. This is not something that can be undone so FYI, if you do see an inventory car in the future, it will NOT be matched at the original order price (if you ordered before the increase). My other friend didn’t know that would happen, but my SA had a feeling that is what would happen. If it were a VIN match to the same configuration, it would have been fine. Since it wasn’t, the price was updated to the current price.

Anyway, I’m not too mad about it. After waiting nearly five months, I’d rather just get the car now. I’ve been bumming off my mom’s car way too long. If I continue to wait for the white interior, my grant would have expired and who knows if something else happens this quarter that pushes it out another quarter.

So, while I am paying the same price for a black interior as I would have paid for the white interior, I’m just glad it’s coming before my grant expires. The grant is for 5k, but I just consider it as a grant for 4K now with the price change. Still though, super blessed it might finally be happening. It’ll be on a truck within 24 hours and hopefully ready for delivery in a couple of days. Still never know what could happen though...pls pray 4 me I guess.

VIN 914xxx
How did you qualify for CVAP and can afford M3P? No disrespect at all just wondering because the income cap isn't very high. Is there a loophole I'm not aware of?

VIN 914xxx

CONGRATS JEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recommend paying, it seems to really freak them out. I paid back in December 2020 and never heard from them again.

How can I tell if they have unfriended me?

On some email exchange I had with my SA who works at the Rocklin DC, the email cc'd "[email protected]". After I started using this email in all my correspondence things picked up significantly. There is probably an email box like this for all DCs so perhaps you can try "<dccityname>[email protected]" in your emails.

• Informative
Reactions: AthleticMonkey
How did you qualify for CVAP and can afford M3P? No disrespect at all just wondering because the income cap isn't very high. Is there a loophole I'm not aware of?

No worries, it’s definitely a common question. I know that taxes are not something fun to discuss and I’m just glad I understand as much as I do. It all depends on your federal reported gross income (box 1 on your w2)

In my case, I’m a government analyst and contribute heavily to my pre-taxed contributions (health premium, 457b, pension obligation funds). The perk is that these pre-taxed contributions reduces your gross taxable income. (Your box 1 on your w2) This allows me to qualify under the required income threshold. Cap I believe is $50,800 and my reported gross in 2019 (off my 2020 tax return) was $50,030 (cutting it very close).

Edit to add: since I contribute as much as I do to my 457b plan, I look at my paycheck as mostly disposable since my 457b contributions are basically my savings. While I do save some of my net paycheck, I do spend a lot of it, lol. It helps that I saved for my down payment as well. I’ve been wanting a Tesla since I was in high school (2011) and it’s finally happening (I hope).

Another example could be someone who is already retired. Whether they have no income or a low pension, or low retirement withdrawals, they would qualify for CVAP. It could have been someone who has saved money or have no other payment obligations (mortgage and stuff paid off).

Another example, albeit a wild one that I’ve heard, is a guy that had a successful start-up that got bought out for millions. He didn’t work all of 2019 so his income was practically $0 (maybe he had bank interest income though? Not 50k worth though). So he qualified for CVAP as well.

I hope this helps give everyone a little more perspective of the ways one can qualify. Feel free to ask any questions and I can try to answer.

Last edited: