Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my White on White yesterday from the Naperville dealership VIN 913XXX, Ordered 2/13. It was an interesting journey at the end. I pinged my SA early last week, as I saw VIN assignments happening a lot, and pre-prod inventory all over, asking for any insight the status of my order. She got back to me and said "There's one with the same specs at the Grand Ave location, it's got 50 miles on the odometer, someone did not take delivery of an order but you need to go down and get it (30 miles), and pay the higher Chicago sales tax. She said it was "born on" (i.e manufactured 2/18)" and she gave me the vin.

I told her I'd wait to see if a VIN got assigned on my existing order and let her know after the weekend if I wanted that car. Left it at that. Didn't want to mess up my order with manual intervention.

Next day, I'll be darned the exact same VIN gets matched to me on the Tesla website. Initially I was a little bothered - I did not say I wanted that car - and it had 50 miles on it. I was also worried with the earlier VIN that it might not have the new headlights and heated steering wheel (wheel is important in Chicago winters). After a little research I found out it had been auto assigned (no mistake by my SA), and that it ver likely had the headlights and wheel, so I decided to go with the flow rather than messing the whole deal up until June/Q2 End.

I messed up when scheduling my deliver (3/23, 3/25 and 3/26 times were available) because of work board meeting. Emailed my SA and asked if that could be fixed. They changed my delivery date to 3/23. I told her I'd be ready if they had the car prepped earlier, and sure enough yesterday (3/20) I got the call it was ready, so I went over and got it. I went ahead and paid 25K (I decided to finance the rest and buy 50K in TSLA stock to sit on for a few years instead of cash purchase to see how that works out).

Due to my concern about the car having 50 unknown miles on it, I went over it using checklists top to bottom during delivery (I never saw a human anyway so I took my time in their parking lot). The body panel gaps and paint finish are absolutely flawless - not a single defect I could find, paint is smooth and consistent. I think maybe that's helped by it not being an end of quarter mad rush construction vehicle maybe. Heated wheel and new headlights are on it, and the prep job by the location was impeccable - if anyone ever sat in/pawed over the car there was no signs - screen protector still on, and fresh paper mats. So I took delivery - very pleased with the car. I figure it must have chased me down after all that, LOL. Tesla destiny I guess.

Anyway here's some pics if you haven't seen a white Model 3 before, LOL. I am going to add a pillar delete kit, tint the windows to 20% ceramic, PPF the front bumper (4.2 million bugs decided to end their lives on it in my 10 mile drive home), clay and Opti-Coat it. I'm changing out all the interior lights and trunk lights, adding rear seat light bars, Tesla T puddles (hope I don't get sued), replacing the front struts, debadging it, putting white wrap on the center console, white wrap on the back steering wheel trim, and adding a dead pedal.
Glad it all worked out and the car looks amazing. Congratulations!

Reactions: TBrownTX
Guys who are waiting for their VIN/Car. You will get it this month. The wait is worth it. I’ve never even driven Tesla before this purchase. It exceeded all my expectations and more. What a car. I’m blown away.
I installed Tesla wall charger (240V on 60amp circuit). Drove my car with my brother yesterday. Acceleration is insane. I brought the car back home at 50%. Tesla wall charger “filled it up” to 90% in 3 hours. Phenomenal.

So I got an email about final payment and then I checked my account and I have a VIN and delivery range of the 21-24th. The email said to "Submit your payment prior to delivery." I don't have to do that right? Can I not wait until I'm actually taking delivery and pay at the "cashier". I'd ask my SA but he hasn't even responded to my last email.

I'm in SoCal if that makes a difference. Blue/Black Perf

Wanted to add. The sound system is amazing. The best stock sound I’ve seen. I’ve setup my Spotify account. I LOVE voice commands. Where you can just press the right wheel button and just say “play SONG NAME by ARTIST NAME” and it just starts playing. Incredible.
Agreed. The voice recognition in this thing is Alexa good. My Lexus IS 350 was the stupidest voice recognition on the planet. Like "Go Home" or "Navigate Home" was some mysteriously never before spoke phrase that it had never. On the rare occasion it actually recognized anything it would then take you through unnecessary voice confirmations "did you want to go home?", "it seems like you want to 'navigate' yes or no", etc which it would of course then completely screw up. A truly horrible experience that worked maybe 5% of the time. I've had better luck calling the IRS.

So I got an email about final payment and then I checked my account and I have a VIN and delivery range of the 21-24th. The email said to "Submit your payment prior to delivery." I don't have to do that right? Can I not wait until I'm actually taking delivery and pay at the "cashier". I'd ask my SA but he hasn't even responded to my last email.

I'm in SoCal if that makes a difference. Blue/Black Perf
I would wait until a day or two before delivery. That is what I did. Things tend to get more precise the closer to delivery it gets.

I don't have have my car yet so I can't confirm, but I was told that you can request a software update thru the app (just as you would a service repair). Worth a shot.

also, if that doesn't work I heard to try this...

"go into the software update screen (on the car), and tap the Advanced button 5 times. It will force your car to look for an update."
The hitting advanced 5xs a myth and has been debunked. I have talked to service and they said they don’t push out updates. That it will happen in time but they couldn’t dnt specify how long

Yep the Dual Motor and red line are getting pulled on mine right away. I may keep the front and rear tesla logo... for a while
I ordered blacked out badging from abstract ocean.

Attachments

• dual_motor_right_pull_back__13566_800x.png
    dual_motor_right_pull_back__13566_800x.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
I would wait until a day or two before delivery. That is what I did. Things tend to get more precise the closer to delivery it gets.
tesla ended up calling me today and i picked it up today! paid for the car after i had done a quick inspection. the touch free delivery was pretty interesting, was weird to drop 60k in a couple of seconds and then get in and be able to drive off seconds later. getting in-n-out takes longer. that being said, had a scratch on a wheel, and one of the door handles is set into the paneling a lot more than the other 3, and lastly theres some weatherstrip missing along the rear glass. annoying to have to make a trip to a service center but it is what it is. hope yall get yours soon!
20210321_151716.jpg
20210321_214604.jpg

Last edited:
tesla ended up calling me today and i picked it up today! paid for the car after i had done a quick inspection. the touch free delivery was pretty interesting, was weird to drop 60k in a couple of seconds and then get in and be able to drive off seconds later. getting in-n-out takes longer. that being said, had a scratch on a wheel, and one of the door handles is set into the paneling a lot more than the other 3, and lastly theres some weatherstrip missing along the rear glass. annoying to have to make a trip to a service center but it is what it is. hope yall get yours soon!View attachment 646873View attachment 646874
Congrats! Time to change out that MB banner ;)

Reactions: greasypeanut