Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too was once in here back in November and December. Agree with Mahamilto, it sucks with anticipation but this car doesn't disappoint! I wanted to offer a few things I also feel are must have investments. One, if you have nasty winters I cannot stress enough to remove the Pirelli P-Zeros (which are god awful), but more on that in a minute) and replace it with a great winter tire. I went with Nokian's Hakkapeliitta R3 Nokian Hakkas and they are magical. They eat ice for breakfast and have that performance that the M3P needs. Discount Tire will do a seasonal tire change for free. I recommend removing the 235/35/20 Pirelli PZeros and instead of dropping cash on wheels, drop cash on something more important. 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Read the reviews from other Tesla owners here. Michelin PS4S I cannot emphasize this enough, it made my 21 M3P drive so much better! The PZeros got a bubble in them the first 500 miles in the sidewall. Tesla won't cover it, have to take it up with Pirelli. Not enough sidewall on the 235's and the 245s give it a much better profile and protection, plus a better ride! Enough on tires.

I also highly recommend a paint protection film on the front and side mirrors. Already in the early months of spring with bugs and road debris and I'm overjoyed that I have this protecting the big exposed front end. XPEL PPF Easy to clean and wipe off and much easier and cost-effective to install than repainting later, since paint doesn't always match perfectly. The cost for the XPEL PPF for the front bumper, headlights and side mirrors was approximately $600.

The carpets get nasty, just look at Mahamilto front driver's side photo. :oops: Order the Tesla All Weather Mats. Absolutely love them! Pull out, shake out and replace! And they look like a million bucks. The carpet was always moving around on me. Tesla All Weather Mats

Lastly, keep checking in with your SA, I did and I lucked out by getting one early that was set to be a demo. Had to pay an extra grand for the white interior but so glad I did. The white on white is stunning and they stay incredibly clean somehow. Spilled a bottle of Gatorade, wiped it right off. Enjoy your car ladies and gents! It's so much fun you'll never have anything else.

PICTURES BELOW SHOW HAKKAS ON THE CAR FOR WINTER. THE MICHELIN PS 4S, XPEL PPF (CAN'T EVEN NOTICE ITS ON) AND HOW I STORE THE WINTER TIRES.
How much did you pay for the hakka's? They are awesome but i think theyre like 380/tire?

Both the Hakkas and PS4 were about 380 a tire I think. So I dropped around 3300 for two sets of tires with a warranty from Discount Tire. Worth it. If I didn't live in the midwest where winter roads suck, I would have opted for an all-season from Michelin.
Ive had dedicated snows and summers for last 8-10 years, firm believer in having them! Never had to buy snows for 20s yet

Both the Hakkas and PS4 were about 380 a tire I think. So I dropped around 3300 for two sets of tires with a warranty from Discount Tire. Worth it. If I didn't live in the midwest where winter roads suck, I would have opted for an all-season from Michelin.
Yeah. Hear u there. NYC here... they salt very well. The roads suck, but I’m never really driving in actual snow or ice. The salting in the city limits (in queens) and major roads in Nassau county (where I work) make all seasons viable

Yeah. Hear u there. NYC here... they salt very well. The roads suck, but I’m never really driving in actual snow or ice. The salting in the city limits (in queens) and major roads in Nassau county (where I work) make all seasons viable

I'm fortunate enough to be in a warm weather climate (Texas) and my area is fairly free from road imperfections. Zero issues so far with the 20" PZeros, but I do plan on melting them off and replacing with something different just as fast as I can.

Tim

Thanks for sharing @MackT83 . I have the exact same car as yours on order, looking forward to receiving it. Totally agree on the Nokian Hakka winter tires; here in eastern Canada, they can literally be a life saver in winter. I will put my winter tires on smaller, cheaper 18" wheels however. I don't want the road salt and grit damaging the Uberturbines. Can't buy winter tires right now though, tire shops have all cleared out their stock of winter tires, or sent what's left to off-site storage. I'll start looking into that in September or October.

I am considering getting a set of light 18" wheels and some sticky tires like Yokohama Advan A0052s for when I really want top performance. I might order those before the car arrives, but I'm always a little worried that my delivery will miss the June delivery window (I know a few December 2020 M3P deliveries got bumped to March 2021) and I'll be left with performance tires an no car to use them on :). I'm also not certain if Tesla will sell me TPMS sensors before they deliver my car either.

Totally agree on the PPF. I'm an experienced amateur detailer and have no issues doing paint correction and such, so I ordered a pre-cut PPF kit for hood/bumper/fenders/mirrors/headlights. I'll install that as part of my new car detailing regimen after polishing before the ceramic and silica carbide coatings.

I'll get all weather mats for winter as well, but I think I will stick to the carpet ones for summer. I never liked to have rubber mats in summer, it looks like I was too lazy to remove the winter ones :). I also wash and vacuum my car weekly in the summer, so it never gets too dirty. I've ordered the carpeted frunk mat from Tesla as well.

I'm pretty much all set, just need the car to show up, lol :)

Reactions: Hacknslic3
I finally got down to the local Tesla dealer to take a picture of my M3P in front of the building since they delivered her to my house. After two weeks, I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying the car!

Attachments

• 6DECEB74-6DD4-4982-80FA-6AE06F36329D.jpeg
    6DECEB74-6DD4-4982-80FA-6AE06F36329D.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 98
I'm fortunate enough to be in a warm weather climate (Texas) and my area is fairly free from road imperfections. Zero issues so far with the 20" PZeros, but I do plan on melting them off and replacing with something different just as fast as I can.

Tim
Same with me here in Florida. No issues with the PZeros. Grip feels excellent. Very few pot holes here in Palm Beach County so low profile not an issue. Expect to keep these tires to about 15k miles.

I really like the firm but not too firm feel of the suspension and tire setup. I come from a bmw and I feel I lost nothing in this M3P setup.

Cheers.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Trading in my 2020 M3P for the new refreshed 2021 M3P. Still have FOMO after missing the refresh announcement by 3 weeks, especially the heat pump which is huge to me. Looks like all the major upgrades are in and settled in at least for now. Delivery in 6-9 (nice) weeks. With that said: View attachment 659199
If you dont mind me asking are you selling your 2020 M3P private and if not, are you losing anything on trading?

If you dont mind me asking are you selling your 2020 M3P private and if not, are you losing anything on trading?

Definitely losing a bit on trade-in, but for whatever reason the valuation went up over the past few months which is insane to me. If you see, a lot of used Teslas have all gone up recently. So I’m striking while it’s hot, and overall my monthly should be roughly the same with no additional down on top of the trade-in. The Heat pump (massive), new wheels, new interior, heated steering wheel, power lift gate, new matrix LED headlights, black trim… all worth what I’m eating IMHO. It’s been a fun 9 months of ownership so far and I’m expecting even better with more piece of mind moving ahead with the refresh.

Definitely losing a bit on trade-in, but for whatever reason the valuation went up over the past few months which is insane to me. If you see, a lot of used Teslas have all gone up recently. So I’m striking while it’s hot, and overall my monthly should be roughly the same with no additional down on top of the trade-in. The Heat pump (massive), new wheels, new interior, heated steering wheel, power lift gate, new matrix LED headlights, black trim… all worth what I’m eating IMHO. It’s been a fun 9 months of ownership so far and I’m expecting even better with more piece of mind moving ahead with the refresh.
I thought the 2020 had gen2 seats same as 2021? I do agree that it seems heat pump makes a notable difference

I thought the 2020 had gen2 seats same as 2021? I do agree that it seems heat pump makes a notable difference

Yes same g2 seats, but re: “new interior” I meant the other interior changes: new center console design, matte surfaces instead of piano black, the dash trim extending to the side doors with the new Alcántara panels, sentry USB in the glovebox, total USB c placement throughout, metal scroll wheels on the steering wheel, magnetic sun visor… just more refined creature comforts I welcome completely and kind of expect at this price point.

Expect the performance models to be delivered the last week of the quarter, regardless of what your order says. This has been the trend. There are exceptions, but not many.

Coming from someone who lived it.

But make no mistake; worth the wait. I’m 2k miles in now and every drive is as good as the first.

Reactions: Snade