Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My story is similar. I was ready to order the Ford Focus RS back in October 2015 when they started the ordering process but I quickly learned that I'll need to wait almost a year to actually receive the car. I dropped the idea of waiting a year and started considering different cars. I didn't buy anything until June 2016 and that was the time when the Focus RS started coming to the US. I decided to call all Ford dealers around and of course there was no way to buy one, all cars which were coming to the US were pre-ordered and sold. However, within the next day I got a phone call from one of the dealers in Boston with information that someone didn't receive a loan and didn't pick up the car. He asked me if I would like to buy it? The speck was exactly what I wanted - blue RS2. They asked for 5000$ over MSRP, I told the sales guy I'll buy it right now but for the MSRP price, after a quick conversation with the manager they agreed to it. So I bought the car basically over the phone, without the test drive and waiting time, decision made within 5 min of conversation. When I saw the car I couldn't be happier, my dreams came true.
I own this Ford Focus RS till today but for now no plans to sell it, it's too special for me. Tesla M3P will be an addition to it, at least for now.

Reading about all push backs, mine will probably change soon, too.

As of today my story looks like this:

Rhode Island
M3P Red/Black, no FSD

OD: 3/4: EDD April
3/5 EDD: Apr 30-May 28
3/19 EDD: Apr 5-May 3
3/25 EDD: Apr 4 – June 4
3/25 EDD: Apr 30 – June 4
3/30 EDD Apr 10 - Apr 24
4/4 EDD May 3 – May 31 (present)

and patiently waiting.
Clearly, you have excellent taste in fun cars! I too opted for a Nitrous Blue RS2 when I ordered my RS, along with the sunroof, but without the forged wheels, which is a decision I've always regretted during my years of owning it. Copious amounts of brake dust and dense 10-spoke wheels are not a fun combination- I'm so looking forward to the M3P's brake-dust-free regenerative braking and the smooth design of the uberturbines. Keeping them clean should be super easy.

Sadly, I don't plan to keep my RS. The sad fact is that my family has just outgrown it. I've done my best to make it work, but have come to accept that a baby seat is too tight of a fit and it ends up being uncomfortable for everyone, including the baby. Also, my wife is not a fan of the RS's ride quality, which is a fair argument. Right before the aforementioned baby seat became necessary, she and I used to joke that we couldn't take my car anywhere unless we wanted the baby to show up early. I kept telling her that the handling tradeoff was worth it when driving in a spirited manner, but I don't think she shares that mentality. Like you, I never had a chance to test drive the RS before I actually purchased it, so I didn't realize the ride would be as harsh as it is, but even if I had, at the time, there was nothing else that even came close to checking all the performance/practicality boxes it checked on paper for the money. I still say that it's still a great car for what it is. I'll miss the torque vectoring all-wheel-drive system and the flat handling, but I think I'll be happier with the M3P, especially when it comes to the acceleration and the ride quality compared to the RS. Also, definitely looking forward to not having a manual transmission anymore. It's fun at times, but most of the time it's a pain, at least in my mind. Going from a manual transmission ICE car to an EV with no shifting at all feels like jumping from a horse and cart to a spaceship.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. I hope we all get our cars as soon as possible, and have many years of trouble-free ownership.

Any details on the personalized response from the SA? Just curious if, in addition to the personalized response, you were able to get any answers on the pushbacks?
Nothing substantive in my opinion— it was “it’s either transportation dilemmas or production issues” and he stated there was “no way for him to know” what the specific reason was.

I also followed up on whether having a two week window go back to a four week window meant anything in particular and the response was that they “just don’t know how long these delays may take, so the wider window is to account for this” 🙄

Reactions: toquar
Lots of former Focus RS owners in here. I ordered one at MSRP, waited 9 months. Then when the car arrived the dealer decided to add a $15K markup and I walked. Waited a year and bought one for $7K off sticker but the car was a big headache and I couldn’t wait to sell it. Didnt learn my lesson and bought a Shelby GT350 and another car that had lots of major issues. I’m done with Ford.

M3P ordered in the UK. Order date was 7th March 2022.

Initial delivery date was August 2022, then it moved to June 15th 2022, now it’s back to August 2022.

These are gonna be the longest 4 months ever.

Any other UK M3P orders pending? What are your dates? Do we think the covid shutdown in Shanghai will affect UK GIGA Shanghai cars and slow deliveries?
There is actually a UK/Ireland waiting room here. May be better asking them?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rodney!
Sucks. I do notice that most (not all), EDDs that are being pushed back are still within the original (first) EDD window at least. If we all could temper our expectations that we will be lucky to receive our car within the first window, that would be good. At least that’s how I’m looking at it.
My biggest disappointment was when I ordered in Feb and the website said march delivery. Then when I went through with the order the first estimated delivery was late may/june. But this one was slightly disappointing as it was getting close enough I could almost taste it. lol

I agree about the sales tactic. Right now on the Tesla website, the EDD for a Performance model is June - August 2022. We all know that's a bunch of BS. I ordered in early March and my EDD is June to late July and I'm in So Cal.
Yup. I wouldn't have ordered on Feb 24th if it didn't say March delivery. I would have bought a used one because they had some pretty decent deals on them at the time. Performances for 48k-54k with extra year of warranty and FSD. Now used are stupid high.

So yeah I agree it's shady AF saying march delivery and as soon as you order it's 2 months after that on the estimate.

Figured I’d stop lurking and start posting. Ordered 2/12 with an original March 2022 delivery. After many EDD changes, I’m currently sitting at 4/25 to 5/9, this marks the third time I’ve had a two week window. The first two times, I was within the window for several days and the EDD updated to another month window and then later to a 2-wk window. I’m expecting this one to do the same.

Build is a red with black interior, no FSD.