Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we’re all ”enjoying” this madness and comparing stories…

2/24 OD here — black/black, no FSD, cash. SF Bay Area.

Since order, my EDD has just been “TBD.” Literally never have had an actual date populate in my account. I’ve asked countless times about it (showroom rep, SA, etc) — get told it’s a “glitch” and they’ll address it, but say my reservation is all set. Any guesses on if they have actually addressed it after saying they would? Ha.

According to SA last week, I should have gotten an update early this week. Multiple texts, no response. EDD still reads TBD.

For people in LA county, here is a somewhat obscure one

Rates shown require 3 discount criteria (max of 3 out of the 4 possible option), and buying a tesla auto qualify for one of the 3

1651684743410.png

I receive surveys after service appointments and body shop repairs from Tesla but it makes sense why they don't send one for new car purchases. No way anybody is having a better than expected experience.

Kinda ironic...Tesla called right after posting this. For you guys that have a delivery date the last thing you want to see on your caller id is Tesla. My car has a faulty charging port so they can't deliver the car until May 20th when the part comes in.

M3P, Midnight Silver/Black, no FSD
Pickup location: Houston
OD: 2/12/22 (March estimate)
EDD1 (2/13): April 18 - May 16

***60 days go by

EDD2 (4/15): April 27 - May 10
EDD3 (4/20): May 5 - May 19
EDD4 (4/25): May 8 - May 12 VIN Assigned 2365xx
EDD5 (4/27) Good News! Delivery scheduled for May 6
EDD6 (5/1) Bad News! Your car is stuck at the railyard in CA and may not make it on time.
EDD7 (5/3) Good news! Your car made it to Houston and is on track for delivery May 6th
EDD8 (5/4) Bad News! Your car didn't pass inspection and we won't have the charging port part until May 20th.

Last edited:
If it's stressing you out that much, just do it.

Good luck with the dealer. We couldn't find the car we wanted for my wife without waiting months from both Lexus and Audi. I was kicking tires on getting a Mach-E from Ford and they couldn't give me an accurate delivery window either. They completely removed the ordering process now as well. Can't find a ID.4. or the Hyundai EV6 as well. What kind of car are you going to just walk into a dealership and be gone in an hour these days?
Anytime i've bought a car/truck at a dealer after I tell them I want it and agree on the price it hasn't taken more than an hour. If it ever has been it was barely under.

And if I have questions I get answers unlike from the Tesla SAs. I don't need the car right now. Just a toy for me. The fact at it has shown a possible delivery date since April 29th the day of the 29th I am almost positive it is sitting at the Tesla store. Trying to keep my schedule open where I can be available and it's frustrating overall from the very beginning.

Anytime i've bought a car/truck at a dealer after I tell them I want it and agree on the price it hasn't taken more than an hour. If it ever has been it was barely under.

And if I have questions I get answers unlike from the Tesla SAs. I don't need the car right now. Just a toy for me. The fact at it has shown a possible delivery date since April 29th the day of the 29th I am almost positive it is sitting at the Tesla store. Trying to keep my schedule open where I can be available and it's frustrating overall from the very beginning.

Yeah, I can imagine it's frustrating for some. These days though, inventory is hard to find...

2.19% was the lowest I found and that was at 60 months. If you wanted anything above that it was 2.49-2.99. This is also if you have top tier credit.

Off the top of my head:

DCU is currently at 1.99% with the EV credit and direct deposit.
Affinity Federal Credit Union is at 2.24%

There's a couple of other local ones that I haven't mentioned because they are hard to join or region specific (or I don't remember).

got a text from tesla today asking me if i need to trade in a vehicle to prepare for my new vehicle delivery. scrolled too quickly and saw the previous text from them that read, "welcome to the tesla family - - " and thought my vehicle was actually ready. what a tease.

question for others - if you get a text asking if you need to trade in a vehicle, does that mean your car is actually coming soon?

ESD is May 10-June 7, ordered in March.

Yeah, I can imagine it's frustrating for some. These days though, inventory is hard to find...
And if you can find a popular vehicle in the color and configuration you want there is a good chance it's because it has a fat dealer markup on it. Kia dealers near me want anywhere from $5-15K markup on the EV6. Ford dealers are the same or worse for the Mach E unless you want the base trim RWD only model. BMW is telling me 12 month wait on the new i4 even though I contacted about 10 dealers who all have listings on Autotrader, Cars.com, etc. It's a bait and switch. They don't have actual cars for sale, they want you to "come down and talk about ordering one"...

This is definitely not 3 years ago. The market and dealer model is worse now than ever and the ones who don't have markups will definitely want full MSRP and most of them will rope you into financing with them and buying some marked up accessories or packages.

My favorite was the Kia dealer who told me MSRP on an email for an EV6. Then when I asked for the out the door price in writing they did not want to send it to me an email and "wanted me to come down and discuss it". After pressing them hard I got a quote it writing it was MSRP + $5K (regional fee) +$899 conveyance fee, +1999 for some "paint and interior protection package"... Shady dealer stuff going on these days.

got a text from tesla today asking me if i need to trade in a vehicle to prepare for my new vehicle delivery. scrolled too quickly and saw the previous text from them that read, "welcome to the tesla family - - " and thought my vehicle was actually ready. what a tease.

question for others - if you get a text asking if you need to trade in a vehicle, does that mean your car is actually coming soon?

No they asked me for my trade in information in early February right when I ordered. Trade in info is only good for 30 days so I have since had to go through the process 2 more times.

Reactions: previouSowner
And if you can find a popular vehicle in the color and configuration you want there is a good chance it's because it has a fat dealer markup on it. Kia dealers near me want anywhere from $5-15K markup on the EV6. Ford dealers are the same or worse for the Mach E unless you want the base trim RWD only model. BMW is telling me 12 month wait on the new i4 even though I contacted about 10 dealers who all have listings on Autotrader, Cars.com, etc. It's a bait and switch. They don't have actual cars for sale, they want you to "come down and talk about ordering one"...

This is definitely not 3 years ago. The market and dealer model is worse now than ever and the ones who don't have markups will definitely want full MSRP and most of them will rope you into financing with them and buying some marked up accessories or packages.

My favorite was the Kia dealer who told me MSRP on an email for an EV6. Then when I asked for the out the door price in writing they did not want to send it to me an email and "wanted me to come down and discuss it". After pressing them hard I got a quote it writing it was MSRP + $5K (regional fee) +$899 conveyance fee, +1999 for some "paint and interior protection package"... Shady dealer stuff going on these days.
Yeah it’s quite unfortunate. Besides the supply chain being the ultimate reason.

We as consumers are also contributing to it. By people paying over MSRP, the dealers are less likely to take your MSRP offer because if you don’t buy it, someone else will. Supply and demand.

Or you can go buy Used Cars for asking prices comparable to New Cars MSRP. But that’s because people are able to sell their Used Cars for way more than what they could’ve in the past. Effectively driving up the Used Car prices in the market.

My brother works at a car dealership and he told me that customers are buying out their leases with equity just to resale for more money to gain a profit. That’s unheard of in the past.

So people are also taking advantage of the situation to earn a quick buck. So dealers will and can ask for higher prices for their cars too. Cause and effect.

But yeah, those packages are all trash, total rip off! But I guess it’s still better than some dealerships that won’t give you anything extra while tacking on the dealer markup.

His advice to me, even though I ended up going with Tesla. If you absolutely need to buy a car, expect to spend a lot of time shopping around. And if you end up buying a car, plan on driving it for a long time because once the market returns to somewhat normal, those cars will lose a ton of value effectively putting you majorly upside down.

If you have a trade, you are in a better position. Even though there is dealer markup, your car also has more equity compared to what it was before all this happened. Let’s say the dealer markup is $5,000 over sticker.

And you’re getting $5,000 over what you would normally get for your trade-in vehicle. It’s almost like buying the car at MSRP because normal times, there wouldn’t be a markup and your car probably would be worth as much as it is now.

Even on our Teslas, I am starting to see the same thing happening. There are no dealer markups, but there is manufacturer price increases.

Reactions: Not That M3
Kinda ironic...Tesla called right after posting this. For you guys that have a delivery date the last thing you want to see on your caller id is Tesla. My car has a faulty charging port so they can't deliver the car until May 20th when the part comes in.

M3P, Midnight Silver/Black, no FSD
Pickup location: Houston
OD: 2/12/22 (March estimate)
EDD1 (2/13): April 18 - May 16

***60 days go by

EDD2 (4/15): April 27 - May 10
EDD3 (4/20): May 5 - May 19
EDD4 (4/25): May 8 - May 12 VIN Assigned 2365xx
EDD5 (4/27) Good News! Delivery scheduled for May 6
EDD6 (5/1) Bad News! Your car is stuck at the railyard in CA and may not make it on time.
EDD7 (5/3) Good news! Your car made it to Houston and is on track for delivery May 6th
EDD8 (5/4) Bad News! Your car didn't pass inspection and we won't have the charging port part until May 20th.
fuuuuuuck.gif

I feel for ya brother!!!
btw... I'm a Texas Native!!!

Yes, exactly! I highly doubt those who are complaining have honestly looked at the market lately. I have plenty of friends in the industry, from owners of major Dealerships (Honda + Toyota) to sales managers. My recent person experience if from Texas dealerships and my friends are in California. I called 15 different dealers for the Ford Mach-E to try to take advantage of the tax credit. If it was an in-stock car, they all wanted a mark-up. A local Hyundai dealer told me he had 4 TOTAL cars in stock (ICE and EV). A VW salesperson told me it was a bit hard to make a living right now because they simply don't have the inventory to sell. We tried to buy a used Lexus SUV but the person trading it into the dealer couldn't finish the deal, because he couldn't provide him with his truck (Ford).

Getting a test drive in a new EV other than Tesla? Virtually impossible. I was not able to locate one in two months. I don't want to hear reports about "I see the car on the website." Go to the dealer and find out.

I4? You're absolutely correct. My friend is a Sales Manager at one of the larger SoCal Irvine Dealerships.

Even common cars, people are paying MSRP.

Yes it's all relative. If your trading a car, like I am, it helps offset the higher costs for sure. I am in the process of shopping for a vehicle for my two teens (one is starting to drive) and the used market is nuts. Forget finding anything decent below $15K. I have decided to buy a new Kia/Hyundai at MSRP for around $20K. Then they get a brand new vehicle with a full warranty, modern safety features, good MPG, etc for about $5K more than some high mileage used car with no warranty.

Yeah it’s quite unfortunate. Besides the supply chain being the ultimate reason.

If you have a trade, you are in a better position. Even though there is dealer markup, your car also has more equity compared to what it was before all this happened. Let’s say the dealer markup is $5,000 over sticker.

And you’re getting $5,000 over what you would normally get for your trade-in vehicle. It’s almost like buying the car at MSRP because normal times, there wouldn’t be a markup and your car probably would be worth as much as it is now.

Even on our Teslas, I am starting to see the same thing happening. There are no dealer markups, but there is manufacturer price increases.

Re: Trade-ins - We are selling our extra car at a profit and will be buying another extra car when the market settles.

Yes it's all relative. If your trading a car, like I am, it helps offset the higher costs for sure. I am in the process of shopping for a vehicle for my two teens (one is starting to drive) and the used market is nuts. Forget finding anything decent below $15K. I have decided to buy a new Kia/Hyundai at MSRP for around $20K. Then they get a brand new vehicle with a full warranty, modern safety features, good MPG, etc for about $5K more than some high mileage used car with no warranty.
I was looking into Used Cars for my cousin as well and I kind of expected the prices to be outrageous. But that’s also because people are selling their cars to places like Carmax for ridiculous amounts of money. It’s awesome for those who don’t need another car. But screws the people who actually needs a car.

Reminds me of when the government was passing out money for Covid.

I didn’t get any money, but those who did were extremely happy.

I’ve even told them that we will all pay it back very soon through inflation. And guess what… here we are now paying for it.

Nothing is free. There will always be someone else paying for your gains haha.

I think the trade in text is random, like most things lately. I got the trade in text on Monday, the VIN text on Tuesday.

Reactions: previouSowner