Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain to me why these parts weren't shipped to the service centers ahead of time considering the factory is cranking out new ones ready to go and they knew the ones to be delivered needed the parts? They used the stock to send out cars ready to go from the factory and made the earlier orders wait until they had enough extra to send to the service centers? lmao
How dare you question Tesla! WTF is wrong with you?

I am at my local SC right now looking for my car and mr. Tone's. They are not here yet....

I did see a black M3P with red sticker hold, and white charge port tape. Vin 239xxx. Has matrix lights.
View attachment 801270
View attachment 801271

They put a NYS inspection on the car, but that red sticker/charge tape does not make me feel warm and fuzzy for my scheduled Sunday delivery... 🧐
That’s exactly what I’ve been seeing at my service center. I hate to be that guy but I doubt your car will be ready by this Sunday if it hasn’t showed up yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Rodney!
I am at my local SC right now looking for my car and mr. Tone's. They are not here yet....

I did see a black M3P with red sticker hold, and white charge port tape. Vin 239xxx. Has matrix lights.
View attachment 801270
View attachment 801271

They put a NYS inspection on the car, but that red sticker/charge tape does not make me feel warm and fuzzy for my scheduled Sunday delivery... 🧐
Thanks for going to look!

View attachment 801270
View attachment 801271

Hey! Are you at Mt Kisco? I know you and I have similar delivery dates and I have a MSM M3P, so I assume mine isn't there yet either. So maybe the weather delay reason they gave me for not getting my car today is legit. Also my VIN is 239xxx so I likely will have the Matrix lights as well. That's good info, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Rodney!
Can anyone explain to me why these parts weren't shipped to the service centers ahead of time considering the factory is cranking out new ones ready to go and they knew the ones to be delivered needed the parts? They used the stock to send out cars ready to go from the factory and made the earlier orders wait until they had enough extra to send to the service centers? lmao
Your concern is valid. I think the answer is most likely a lot more complicated than people think it is. While not acceptable and I'm not apologizing for Tesla, I tend to not worry about things out of my control. It sucks, we want our cars, but we can't really do anything about it.. You're welcome to express your opinion though, that's what this thread is for. Just my 2 cents. I hope that came off in a non-dismissive, non-apologist way.

Agree it's BS. My service center said maybe 7-10 days on the part but also said it could be longer. Assuming it's a small part why is it not being shipped next day if the factory is cranking out cars with them? Very frustrating my car is sitting there and I can't get it and don't know when I can.
Mine is scheduled for Monday deliver, I hope there’s no issues regarding that part with it. I wonder if it’s just a batch of cars affected and delayed. My vin is 248XXX

That’s exactly what I’ve been seeing at my service center. I hate to be that guy but I doubt your car will be ready by this Sunday if it hasn’t showed up yet.
The shop building is kinda big, and there are other garages in the back, so i sure F hope you are wrong...
Hey! Are you at Mt Kisco? I know you and I have similar delivery dates and I have a MSM M3P, so I assume mine isn't there yet either. So maybe the weather delay reason they gave me for not getting my car today is legit. Also my VIN is 239xxx so I likely will have the Matrix lights as well. That's good info, thanks for sharing.
Yes, i am at kisco. Only new m3P i saw was that black one. Everything else that was a P had plates on it, or a red/white demo.

Reactions: Sheefo2k
It's in Tesla's best interest to get you your car too as they are stuck with it and cannot get the money until you take possession and sign the paperwork. But it will likely also come down to service tech availability. Wonder how long it takes to install? If they have to remove panels, etc it could be a multi hour job for each car.
I think someone said it's a 30-45 min job, can't find the exact post.

It's in Tesla's best interest to get you your car too as they are stuck with it and cannot get the money until you take possession and sign the paperwork. But it will likely also come down to service tech availability. Wonder how long it takes to install? If they have to remove panels, etc it could be a multi hour job for each car.
service guy told me 30 minutes to install. but who actually knows.

• Informative
Reactions: Not That M3
Hearing rumors new Model 3s are being delivered with the old headlights instead of the matrix headlights. Can anyone confirm? Does it apply to only specific variants (i.e SR, LR, Performance).
So it appears to be regular SR/LR Model 3's only. Performance should be okay. Below is article. Even though site is a Canadian site they have cases of it happening in the US.

Tesla appears to have reverted to using non-matrix LED headlights in latest Model 3 builds [Update]

Reactions: Maric
The shop building is kinda big, and there are other garages in the back, so i sure F hope you are wrong...

Yes, i am at kisco. Only new m3P i saw was that black one. Everything else that was a P had plates on it, or a red/white demo.
Lol I am rooting for you for my man.

My SC has mostly Ys and a few 3s on the lot and just like your place only one performance.

My vin is 240XXX: They finally confirmed that my car has the missing part but the part is on order. They’re hoping both, the car and the part, will show up early next week and the car should be ready for pick up by the end of the week.

On a good note: my updated trade in offer came back 26% higher and so I obviously accepted. It makes up for all of these delays.

Good luck bro - hopefully I’m not too far behind you. Driving past Mt. Kisco Tesla soon on way to Target, will keep an eye out for your M3P MSM in case she rolled out….

M3P | MSM | Black | no FSD | Mt. Kisco, NY
OD: 3/3/22
03/03: EDD April 2022
03/04: EDD May 13 - June 10
03/22: EDD April 30 - June 4
04/07: EDD May 7 - June 4
04/26: EDD May 11 - May 25

This morning I received an unsolicited text from the operations advisor at my local Tesla store, wanting to introduce and establish herself as my point of contact for my anticipated delivery, which I thought was nice.

I confirmed with her that:

-A physical cashier's check would be acceptable for the payment of my outstanding balance after financing, or I could use the app and an ACH transfer.
-My financing approval will expire before my current EDD window opens, which means I'm going to lose my current rate of 2.74%, which sucks.
-For my proof of insurance, a current active insurance card is adequate.
-Based on when I ordered my car, I WILL be receiving a mobile connector.

She was unable to answer my question about what kind of headlights my car will have. She said they won't know until the car arrives.

Also, my VIN is in the 247XXX range, if that helps anyone. It'll be interesting to see whether my car is missing a charge port or related parts.

Also, on that topic, regarding the chatter about missing "charging inverters" that has been going on lately, I'm pretty sure the part in question is actually a charge port ECU. I say that because an inverter, by definition, converts DC electricity to AC, which is a conversion that doesn't make any sense when talking about a battery charger. From my understanding, inverters are only necessary on a Tesla for the purpose of driving the actual propulsion motors, since they're 3 phase variable frequency AC motors. The onboard chargers on a Tesla are literally the exact opposite of an inverter, and would technically be termed as rectifiers, which convert AC to DC, since that's what the battery needs and provides. The battery DC output is then fed to the motor inverters that then create the 3 phase AC electricity they require in order to convert solid rubber into hot vapor and squish internal organs into the back walls of rib cages. :-D The inverters are important and are a part of the car, but not related to charging.

Anyway, as I was saying, I think the part that's missing is the charger ECU, which is the small electronics unit behind the trunk liner near the charge port that I assume handles the data communication link between the car and whatever wall connector/mobile connector/supercharger/CHAdeMO/CCS-compatible charger is plugged into it. That's how the car and the charger can exchange capability info and negotiate things like maximum charge current, type of charging voltage available (AC or DC) and whether or not the charge cable is fully inserted and if the interlock that keeps it from being yanked out while energized is engaged so that the wall connector or supercharger or whatever knows its safe to close its contactor and start supplying electricity for charging. It probably handles charge port temperature monitoring as well. This would all jive with the comment from the previous poster's SA who told them that their car's new and improved "charging inverter" would offer some new functionality. It may be that they ran out of CCS compatible charge port ECUs, which I believe is a fairly recent update on cars built in the last year or so, and they either put older non-CCS-compatible ones in, or none at all.

I will admit, I'm not an expert, and have been wrong about many things before, but that's my theory. Hopefully Tesla has been able to get the parts they need though, and this was all just a temporary hiccup in their supply chain.

Keep hanging in there everyone!

Order Details: M3P, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black Interior, No FSD
Delivery Location: Memphis, TN
OD: 3-5-22 (April estimate)
EDD 1: 05-09-22 to 06-06-22 (At ordering) (4 weeks)
EDD 2: 05-29-22 to 07-03-22 (On 04-20-22) (5 weeks)
EDD 3: 05-31-22 to 06-28-22 (On 04-25-22) (4 weeks)
EDD 4: 05-13-22 to 05-26-22 (On 04-29-22) (2 weeks)
EDD 5: 05-21-22 to 05-25-22 (On 05-05-22) (5 days)
VIN Assigned text received with above EDD update.

This morning I received an unsolicited text from the operations advisor at my local Tesla store, wanting to introduce and establish herself as my point of contact for my anticipated delivery, which I thought was nice.

I confirmed with her that:

-A physical cashier's check would be acceptable for the payment of my outstanding balance after financing, or I could use the app and an ACH transfer.
-My financing approval will expire before my current EDD window opens, which means I'm going to lose my current rate of 2.74%, which sucks.
-For my proof of insurance, a current active insurance card is adequate.
-Based on when I ordered my car, I WILL be receiving a mobile connector.

She was unable to answer my question about what kind of headlights my car will have. She said they won't know until the car arrives.

Also, my VIN is in the 247XXX range, if that helps anyone. It'll be interesting to see whether my car is missing a charge port or related parts.

Also, on that topic, regarding the chatter about missing "charging inverters" that has been going on lately, I'm pretty sure the part in question is actually a charge port ECU. I say that because an inverter, by definition, converts DC electricity to AC, which is a conversion that doesn't make any sense when talking about a battery charger. From my understanding, inverters are only necessary on a Tesla for the purpose of driving the actual propulsion motors, since they're 3 phase variable frequency AC motors. The onboard chargers on a Tesla are literally the exact opposite of an inverter, and would technically be termed as rectifiers, which convert AC to DC, since that's what the battery needs and provides. The battery DC output is then fed to the motor inverters that then create the 3 phase AC electricity they require in order to convert solid rubber into hot vapor and squish internal organs into the back walls of rib cages. :-D The inverters are important and are a part of the car, but not related to charging.

Anyway, as I was saying, I think the part that's missing is the charger ECU, which is the small electronics unit behind the trunk liner near the charge port that I assume handles the data communication link between the car and whatever wall connector/mobile connector/supercharger/CHAdeMO/CCS-compatible charger is plugged into it. That's how the car and the charger can exchange capability info and negotiate things like maximum charge current, type of charging voltage available (AC or DC) and whether or not the charge cable is fully inserted and if the interlock that keeps it from being yanked out while energized is engaged so that the wall connector or supercharger or whatever knows its safe to close its contactor and start supplying electricity for charging. It probably handles charge port temperature monitoring as well. This would all jive with the comment from the previous poster's SA who told them that their car's new and improved "charging inverter" would offer some new functionality. It may be that they ran out of CCS compatible charge port ECUs, which I believe is a fairly recent update on cars built in the last year or so, and they either put older non-CCS-compatible ones in, or none at all.

I will admit, I'm not an expert, and have been wrong about many things before, but that's my theory. Hopefully Tesla has been able to get the parts they need though, and this was all just a temporary hiccup in their supply chain.

Keep hanging in there everyone!

Order Details: M3P, Midnight Silver Metallic, Black Interior, No FSD
Delivery Location: Memphis, TN
OD: 3-5-22 (April estimate)
EDD 1: 05-09-22 to 06-06-22 (At ordering) (4 weeks)
EDD 2: 05-29-22 to 07-03-22 (On 04-20-22) (5 weeks)
EDD 3: 05-31-22 to 06-28-22 (On 04-25-22) (4 weeks)
EDD 4: 05-13-22 to 05-26-22 (On 04-29-22) (2 weeks)
EDD 5: 05-21-22 to 05-25-22 (On 05-05-22) (5 days)
VIN Assigned text received with above EDD update.
Yup, it is the charger ECU.

Reactions: Makes_Centz
Update regarding my Nov 1st- Dec 27th EDD. I texted my SA yesterday and they said that it was an error. and that I should receive an update within 72hrs (Sunday as i expected since all my updates are on sunday) and that my car is expected to be built in about 2 weeks. so now the real question is how long it will take from build - delivery

Also, sidenote - does anyone know how long it takes from start to finish to build a M3?

YES! Congrats!!

That is weird indeed. I have the same OD as you. I see you're in Cupertino. I'm in the south bay as well. Did you opt for pickup at Fremont?

Reason I ask is because my EDD is May 13-May 27. Seems like the folks closest to the factory are the last to get VINs/delivery. If you're been following the thread, there seems to be a supply issue with a certain charging inverter that is holding up a ton of deliveries. Maybe that's the issue with yours as well.
I have a 3/22 OD and my EDD shows exactly the same as yours, picking up in Carlsbad.