Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry it’s not much of a heads up but the California Clean Fuel Reward program is in suspension on 9/1…so no $750 if you pickup after 8/31 in Cali.
8662A7D7-233F-4AC5-BD9B-3C8011E0C98D.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: julit0 and unlock
Is there usually not paint in the door jams?
I should not have said jam. Several cars are missing paint behind the doors, in the fender.

Just drove my 6 hours home. So long.

To add on:

Has matrix headlights.
Rides very smooth. I think better than the MY LR.
Good bit or road noise, by it has low pro tires, its expected.
Its low to the ground. Similar to a Corvette. You fall into the seat when you get in. The Y was much taller. But im fine with it.
Its FAST!

Great car. Very happy with it and glad the delivery went better than my Y did.

Here we go. EDD pushed to Dec 11 to Jan 22 on Tues.
Then this morning around 11AM, out of nowhere, I got a text stating VIN assigned (344XXX)!
After having two pre-approvals expire on the portion that I'm financing, I followed the sound advice of many in this thread to wait until I had a VIN to finalize finance. But apparently you have 3 days from the time you have a VIN to pick up/take delivery. And because I was notified today/Friday, and my credit union is not open over weekend, I can't finalize my loan and have a check cut until Monday best case. Which is technically within the 3 days but the lady at the SC said I can't pick up Monday because they are closed on Monday???
And if I lose the VIN and/or they push delivery after the Sept 1st, I lose the $750 EV credit???
She said I could finance through Tesla and get it done but they are a full point higher than my CU.

I assumed when I got the VIN, it meant that the car would then be routed to the SC and I'd have some time to finalize. But the lady at the SC said the car is already there at the SC and my three days started when they sent the text this morning.
She said she is going to inquire about picking up Mon/Tues but I'm not optimistic based on her tone. She said she would text me. But I am now on hold to tell someone that I will just finance though Tesla just to avoid potentially losing the car.

To be continued...

Then this morning around 11AM, out of nowhere, I got a text stating VIN assigned (344XXX)!
After having two pre-approvals expire on the portion that I'm financing, I followed the sound advice of many in this thread to wait until I had a VIN to finalize finance. But apparently you have 3 days from the time you have a VIN to pick up/take delivery. And because I was notified today/Friday, and my credit union is not open over weekend, I can't finalize my loan and have a check cut until Monday best case. Which is technically within the 3 days but the lady at the SC said I can't pick up Monday because they are closed on Monday???
And if I lose the VIN and/or they push delivery after the Sept 1st, I lose the $750 EV credit???
She said I could finance through Tesla and get it done but they are a full point higher than my CU.

I assumed when I got the VIN, it meant that the car would then be routed to the SC and I'd have some time to finalize. But the lady at the SC said the car is already there at the SC and my three days started when they sent the text this morning.
She said she is going to inquire about picking up Mon/Tues but I'm not optimistic based on her tone. She said she would text me. But I am now on hold to tell someone that I will just finance though Tesla just to avoid potentially losing the car.

To be continued...
They really need to improve this process. Telling you on a Friday that you have 3 days to finalize a >$60k purchase, after giving you a bunch of BS EDDs that imply you have plenty of time, is so unfair. I really hope this works out for you. Maybe you could refinance soon after for a better rate? Not sure how much the fees would be, though.

It does look like a VERY fresh VIN. It seems like they're really pushing out those cars!

They really need to improve this process. Telling you on a Friday that you have 3 days to finalize a >$60k purchase, after giving you a bunch of BS EDDs that imply you have plenty of time, is so unfair. I really hope this works out for you. Maybe you could refinance soon after for a better rate? Not sure how much the fees would be, though.

It does look like a VERY fresh VIN. It seems like they're really pushing out those cars!
Yeah I agree, that is BS that 3 days counts the weekend when banks and credit unions are closed. It is ridiculous. I hope it works out for you!

To be continued...

Interesting... thanks for sharing. Getting a VIN assigned once the car is at the SC is the norm up here in the PNW. Odd I know... it looks like that practice is occurring for CA as well.

Yes. I just don't think the timing is going to work out and I don't want to be scrambling with CU Monday morning only to not get it done. I will likely just finance through Tesla and refi with the locked rate I have with my CU. That's assuming Tesla doesn't have an early pay off penalty?

Yes. I just don't think the timing is going to work out and I don't want to be scrambling with CU Monday morning only to not get it done. I will likely just finance through Tesla and refi with the locked rate I have with my CU. That's assuming Tesla doesn't have an early pay off penalty?
This is really making me think I should get the pre-approval next week, instead of waiting for a VIN. I think being about 7 weeks in (by next week) is long enough that it's a safe bet, to avoid ending up in a difficult situation like that.

I don't know if they have an early pay off penalty. That would be really good to know too. Don't they just set you up with a third-party lender? It may depend on which one they set you up with. I'm not that familiar with their system, though.

They don't have a pay-off penalty; I asked this when I was asked to change my lender through financing with Tesla instead of my credit union. I will refinance a couple of months after I get the car.

They don't have a pay-off penalty; I asked this when I was asked to change my lender through financing with Tesla instead of my credit union. I will refinance a couple of months after I get the car.
Good to know. After being on hold for over an hour and a half, someone finally picked up. They said they would put me me on a brief hold while they get in touch with the local rep that could help me. Putting me on hold cut me off. And right at 6PM when they closed. After holding for almost 2 hours. Good times.

Reactions: dnstommy
So... I actually took delivery today. Got a VIN just 48 hours ago with delivery scheduled on Monday (5 days later), but got a text this afternoon from Tesla saying "wanna come grab it today instead?"

Car quality was great, no panel gaps anywhere and only the tiniest imperfections that I could find after an hour of going over the full checklist I uploaded here yesterday. Worst issues were a small scratch on the charging door and there was no washer fluid in the reservoir (lol).

NO MOBILE CHARGER WAS INCLUDED, only the J1772 adapter and front license plate bracket were in the trunk. My car's birthday was this past Monday (the 22nd), so that article saying that all cars built after the 14th wouldn't have a mobile charger seems to have been correct. Oh well I guess, at least I already had L2 charging set up at home. And the M3Ps are still coming with the P Zero tires. They're fine, but be prepared to replace them after like 10k miles.

I've never been in anything this fast before. Got lucky as the first car at a red light close to home and decided to go for it and I honestly thought I was gonna black out when I slammed the accelerator, it actually freaked me out a little. Then I laughed and did it again.

Good to know. After being on hold for over an hour and a half, someone finally picked up. They said they would put me me on a brief hold while they get in touch with the local rep that could help me. Putting me on hold cut me off. And right at 6PM when they closed. After holding for almost 2 hours. Good times.
I might be in the same situation soon…. My EDD went from 8/23 - 9/6 to Oct - Nov 2022 on Thursday at 11:00am. Financing expired on 8-19… SA told me to switch to cash until I get a VIN. Did that on Tuesday. Hopefully this is just a canned EDD shift and gets back in line. Oh ‘Fn’ well. It’s nice not having a payment since I sold the wife’s 2020 Expedition in June. She can drive the kids BMW until then and he can drive the mini van until we get the car. Kid is definitely more anxious for the Tesla than me… sucks that interest rates have gone up .75% though…. I’ll probably go with Tesla financing and refinance later if I can find a better deal.

Reactions: julit0