Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Trunk?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
All right peeps! I did it. I bought a Model 3. With the (lack of) issues my wife's had with hers, and the rebate... I just bought the damn thing.

NOW... coming from a S and even my Tahoe having a power lift gate...

HOW do we get a power lift gate on to the 3?

I know someone's working on it... Show Me What You Got! :)

Reactions: bradhs
All right peeps! I did it. I bought a Model 3. With the (lack of) issues my wife's had with hers, and the rebate... I just bought the damn thing.

NOW... coming from a S and even my Tahoe having a power lift gate...

HOW do we get a power lift gate on to the 3?

I know someone's working on it... Show Me What You Got! :)
If you only want it to go up on its own, all you need to do is install stronger hatch struts.

Last edited:
I want a solution that makes the 3 trunk operate like the S did... up AND down. I know that's novel ;)

Wanting something doesn't make it happen. You have to think through it from an engineering perspective and think about what it would take to do it, how it could be implemented, how difficult the retrofit would be and how much it would cost.

At a minimum you are talking about installation of some kind of servo motor in the trunk that can pull the trunk down against the force of the opening struts. Is there space to install a servo motor to do this job? Who knows. Is there a way to tap power to operate it? Who knows. Let's say you somehow get a servo motor that will do the job and somehow you get it spliced into vehicle 12V power to operate it and somehow you find a way to retrofit it into the car. Now you need a way to operate it. About the only thing that would work is to have some kind of manual switch to do it, because Tesla won't be adding this to the Model 3 UI or app anytime soon for a feature they don't offer.