Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Preheat battery - Winter Range Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know the range on the MR but I will recommend that you give your trip some thought. The following is part of a post I made in a thread on range in winter. My results are unscientific and impacted by lots of things I did not capture (wind speed, altitude, uphill, downhill, etc.). I also did not drive “efficiently.”

Your last sentence sounds a bit negative. I would not say crazy as much as I would say expected. There is a ton written on the impact of cold weather on EVs in winter. One of the reasons I got LR was so I didn’t have to think about range.

FWIW, I was on a road trip and during the leg after my bathroom, dinner and charging stop here are my unscientific results:

Range after supercharging: 278 (made a choice to charge to 90% and pre-heat the cabin before I got back to the car)
Miles to destination: 127
Temperature: 38-42 degrees Fahrenheit
Cabin temperature: 71
Driving style: spirited (hitting 85 MPH at times but generally driving 79 MPH when the roads were open)
Road type: highway for 120 miles
EAP used a decent amount: 70%-80% of the trip

Miles remaining after destination was reached: 91 (187 miles used....47% more miles than that implied by distance to the destination)

Sorry that my comment "crazy" came across in a negative way. I upgraded from a car that I was always was worried was going to break down on long trips, or even in general. I guess it's more ironic that I bought another car that I have to be concerned about being able to make the same trips on one charge.

I think MR is down rated to 32a charging.

I've owned a (non-Tesla) EV for 5 years in northern California and i've only *once* in all that time found a L2 charger that would deliver more than 30 Amps. So having a 48Amp charger onboard is pretty useless if your charging use is out at the road or at chargers installed at work sites. (I used to work at Google we had tons of chargers, none more than 30Amps).

The only chargers that are more than that are *very* occasional 70amp chargers (taht were converted from Tesla roadster chargers) and Tesla Destination Chargers (which ive never used yet with my LR AWD M3).

I do have a 40amp Leviton home charger which i bought for my Rav4EV which is happy to charge the M3 at 40amps too which is kind of handy.

So MR cars with the 32amp are fine for road charging. They'll just be a bit more slow for home charging (but not sure it matters with the smaller battery).

Friday I drove to Alyeska ~50 miles each way it’s fairly flat but almost no straight stretches, only 2 places you can pass. Never got above 10 F, snow and ice covered roads, heat set to 67 AUTO, nokian Hakka 9’s. I got 310 Wh/mi I was amazed.

Also per the charge capacityand regen in the cold. It was 4F (-16C) when I left work today. Not plugged in, i pre heated the cabin for ~10 min. 4 miles into my drive @35-40 mph the “snowflake” went away and I had full low regen from what I could tell. When I got home 7 miles total with a max speed 40 mph I plugged into to my Tesla wall connector and was charging at the full 40A.

Friday I drove to Alyeska ~50 miles each way it’s fairly flat but almost no straight stretches, only 2 places you can pass. Never got above 10 F, snow and ice covered roads, heat set to 67 AUTO, nokian Hakka 9’s. I got 310 Wh/mi I was amazed.

Also per the charge capacityand regen in the cold. It was 4F (-16C) when I left work today. Not plugged in, i pre heated the cabin for ~10 min. 4 miles into my drive @35-40 mph the “snowflake” went away and I had full low regen from what I could tell. When I got home 7 miles total with a max speed 40 mph I plugged into to my Tesla wall connector and was charging at the full 40A.

Good evening fellow Alaskian! Was born in Anchorage myself and now living in Maine. Have been giving my new Model 3 plenty of abuse with the cold weather lately...noticing some things to do and not to do. Good to hear from someone else actually dealing with cold weather. You folks need some superchargers up there...

Reactions: coleAK
Good evening fellow Alaskian! Was born in Anchorage myself and now living in Maine. Have been giving my new Model 3 plenty of abuse with the cold weather lately...noticing some things to do and not to do. Good to hear from someone else actually dealing with cold weather. You folks need some superchargers up there...
Nice to hear from you. Yes we do need superchargers. The Telkeetna junction would be a good start. Also just chargers of any type would do. There is one in Soldotona and three in Anchorage, that’s pretty much it. And most of the campgrounds power are shut down in the winter.

I live in Saskatchewan and have a 25km commute each way. I have had zero problems with my Tesla Model 3 AWD. I fully charge the vehicle at night, in a heated garage. 10 to 16 hours later, not charging, not in a carport or garage, I make the return trip. I have good winter tires, use chill mode if it is icy, use the brake pedal;), keep the auto wipers off until I know they are not frozen, and I preheat for 10 minutes and start the car 2 minutes before driving away. Have not had a door handle freeze and the windows work fine so far.
On such short trips maybe it's not so important to know but here's an example of Wh/km:
On a -31 C day leaving from the heated garage I used 246 Wh/km. The same day return -29 (-42 C with windchill) I used 280 Wh/km. Regenerative breaking came back after 3km. The first 5km or so used 350Wh/km.

Living in a cold weather location I have decided to just store my model 3 for the winter months in my garage.

I have the charger set to 50% and just leave it plugged in. Is this proper it should I do something different?
Wow that seems extreme. I live in Truckee CA and drive an M3 (P3D with snows) and my wife has an MX (serious tank in the snow with Blizzaks). No real issues at all just use common sense and follow the guidelines and online recommendations and they are great winter cars. I did dry lube my window seals but had the same challenges with my previous frameless door car. Simple things like run heat in the 60s, us seat heaters, pre-heat before longer trips etc - range hit for winter weather seems about 20% with these steps. I worked in Rochester for 5 years and unles you just wanted to avoid exposing a new car to winter I would not store away my Tesla for the winter after seeing the Upsate weather.

Reactions: MrMannilow and jgs
I worked in Rochester for 5 years and unles you just wanted to avoid exposing a new car to winter I would not store away my Tesla for the winter after seeing the Upsate weather.

I drive a big AWD Infiniti SUV as my daily. The plows leave huge chunks of ice as tall as the front bumper or higher of the M3 at many cross streets. A sedan isn't the right choice in the winter if you have other SUV options especially with how poorly they plow in my city. I'm sure she will see snow a few times but it will be minimal and I'll be sure to make up for it when the weather breaks! I'm glad we had a mild December so I did get some seat time before the snow an salt made an appearance. My last Infiniti was put in the showroom for sale with 80k miles on it when I traded it in if that tells you how I take care of my cars... Just trying to keep her as nice as she deserves