TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 preorder count

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kenypowa, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

It may be a good idea to keep track the order numbers in one thread.

As of Friday night April 1, Elon tweeted sales have reached 232,000. That figure is doubled since last night's presentation.

Elon Musk on Twitter

We are witnessing history in the making, folks.

• Love x 1
  2. 400ev

400ev Member

I wonder if they'll stop the reservations at some point?
    When you reach a number like 300k, you gotta wonder when you're actually going to see your car ? :)

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

What I'm wondering is how long it'll take to build that many cars.

4. BravoSarah

BravoSarah Member

He did say that they could produce 500,000 cars/ year. I wonder how many MS's & MX's they will continue to produce during this time?

5. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I wish they would post a counter on top of the website similar to how they showed it on the big screen after the reveal event.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Here's the plan...

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  7. Ohms Andwatts

Ohms Andwatts Unknown Member

There could be a reason to reserve now and not expect to get a car for several years.
    If you reserve now, presumably you lock in the price. It would be totally unfair to up the price before even giving someone who reserved very early an opportunity to buy one. So someone who is financially not in a position to buy now but can come up with the deposit, has plenty of time to save up and not worry about increases in the interim.

I think that could open the door to a couple hundred thousand more reservations. The numbers are not going to slow down and Elon will have sufficient deposits to use some of that to fund whatever is necessary to realize his revolution.

The numbers will tell the story that the media can only ignore for so long. It won't be long before the shorts are silenced.

8. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I'm guessing that 60K batch of Model 3s projected for 2018 will largely go to the ones who reserved in-store on March 31, 2016. And even then some of us line campers won't see our 3s until 2019, if that timeline is accurate.

9. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

Elon was right they will have to reevaluate production. According to that chart if your order a Model 3 today you won't get it to 2020 :eek:. So glad I drove the two hours to wait in line!

• Like x 1
  10. Dave Garaffa

Dave Garaffa Member

While the plan is interesting where does the Model Y come into play?

• Like x 1
  11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Well, that's world wide reservations, so you'd still get it before 2020, as long as you're in the US.

12. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

I heard that too, the wording was unintentionally misleading. He was stating that 500,000 cars per year have been produced at the NUMMI plant in the past - when other auto manufacturers owned it - and there is no reason to believe that Tesla can not do the same.

• Like x 2
  13. Kenypowa

Kenypowa Member

or more. Just because Toyota+GM made 500k, it doesn't mean it is ceiling.

14. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Automation is your friend. Automated production of autonomous electric vehicles is your best friend. Elon understands this.

More automation = faster ramp.

RT

• Like x 1
  15. kaj102wiu

kaj102wiu Member

This could really push Model S and X sales .. I would imagine that there will be a lot of people that reserved the model 3 that will spring for the model S or X to get the car earlier. Especially the ones that were on the fence between 3 or S

• Informative x 1
  16. jstoneman

jstoneman Member

Musk updated VIA twitter 232K orders in as of tonight. WOW!

17. Mooney

Mooney New Member

OK so i waited in line and got a reservation and the reservation counter keeps ticking, am I going to have to wait behind thousands of west coasters before delivery?

18. jstoneman

jstoneman Member

Most likely. I'll bet they try and get to 100k in the first year of production though. Try and spend 40-50k and your chances of getting into the first year production cue will rise dramatically. I'll bet that they only invite 120k to configure in the first year....

19. doublejj

doublejj Member

I'm ordering mine full loaded & I live in Sacramento & I ordered in store 3/31.....they can move mine to the front anytime they wish;)

• Funny x 1
  20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Battery cell production could be a gating factor as much as the rest of the car. We can ponder what needs to be done to get Fremont up to snuff, but don't forget the massive amount of cells they will need for all those cars.

• Like x 1