Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 preorder count

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or more. Just because Toyota+GM made 500k, it doesn't mean it is ceiling.
True. Coupled with the fact that a large part of the car is being produced in Reno makes this more plausible. Although I seem to recall talk of parking problems in Fremont already. Though this should be an easy fix, it is a sign of unexpected issues that pop up with growth.

Growing pains, they are the best. :)

While the plan is interesting where does the Model Y come into play?
I guess it will take as long as it takes for the 3 to meet demand, like with the Model X. Tesla could have built the Model X 1 and a half year earlier, with less innovations and if there were no problems with suppliers.
It already sits on the S chassis, so the need for design could have been minimized, but the saw that the S sales were still increasing, so it would have made no sense to bring it that early, so they took their time. Only the last half year was an unplanned delay, I would say. And it might be the same with the 3.
Why build 2 different cars with a huge backlog? It is way more efficient to only increase the output of a single car. They can just take the same approach as they did with the S and X, bring the Y when the 3 sales get to an almost constant level and then push out a refreshed Y, with some new features, a more energetic battery, but the core Model 3 architecture. And around the same time they might include all those new features and the new packs into the M3.
My prediction is, that the Y might come to market in 2019, with its first year of full sales in 2020, or even later, if the Model 3 demand is higher than expected.

2_large.jpg

These numbers are truly amazing. These are soon to near Toyota Camry, Ford Pickup or Honda Accord type of numbers.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
True. Coupled with the fact that a large part of the car is being produced in Reno makes this more plausible. Although I seem to recall talk of parking problems in Fremont already. Though this should be an easy fix, it is a sign of unexpected issues that pop up with growth.

Growing pains, they are the best. :)

pack production used to be at fremont, ca and moves to sparks, nv (gigafactory 1). So staff related to pack production move there.

Much of the increase in car production will be done with robots and conveyor systems so staff doesn't have to double to more than double the production of cars.

Also they said that the S/X require multiple procedures for the body (2 to 3) where as the 3 is designed to go though the line as a unit cost of 1. Meaning 2 Model 3s can be produced with the same equipment as one model S/X.

Great! Another hijacked thread. Does anyone have a current ( ;) ) count?

I've never seen a forum this sporadic, haha. There like 5-6 topics on the lack of the instrument panel, conversations spill over everywhere. I couldn't even remember a post about HUDs until I looked at the 3 prototype pictures thread.

For those in the back of the line: Tesla upgrades its cars every week. So, cars built later are more likely to gain a few features that early-buyers gave feedback about. Thus, you might just luck out.

And, there will be more superchargers open and, heck, you can save more money so you can get nicer upgrades.

The only thing I'm worried about: Elon talks about production changes. Does that mean that some features may be axed because they will add too long to build time with 230k reservations when they expected 50k-90k reservations?

Another factor that may cause reservations to be canceled is that many folks in the USA reserved hoping to get their Model 3 early enough to qualify for the $7500 Federal tax credit. Once the credit goes away some folks may abandon their reservation. On the other hand, the hype and coolness factor weighs against that so people may decide that even if they have to pay more, its worth it to have a vehicle so desirable years before everyone else can get one.