Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Price Match? Change it to Performance from LR AWD?

What would you choose?

• LR AWD Dual Motor with FSD $55,740

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • LR AWD Performance without FSD $56,740

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I made an order Model 3 LR AWD Dual Motor on 07/06/2019, Black on White, 18 inch Aero Wheel, FSD.

ETD was within 2 weeks, I am waiting on my VIN#.

However, Tesla just dropped the Model 3 at below.

$1,000 less for SR+
$2,000 less for LR Dual
$5,000 less for Performace

1. Do you guys think they can refund the difference? or do I have to cancel and reorder it to get discount?

Since they are $5,000 off for Performance model, I am thinking to change it to performance model.

However, I cannot put FSD on performance model because of my budget (58K is my maximum).

I drive 15~ 30 miles per day (7 miles from home to work). I do not drive that much, 8,000 ~ 10,000 miles per year.

The reason why I am getting Tesla is it has instant reaction, auto pilot (for highway driving in rush-hour sometimes.

If I do not put Full Self Driving, I can buy performance model, but I do not know is FSD is really worth it ( I can put this later, but dont know the price)

So, There is two option, please share your thought.

Driver : Drive 6.5 miles one-way commute / Single (late 20's) / Drives 15 miles daily , 8k~ 10k miles annually / No charger at home /

1. LR AWD Dual Motor with FSD $55,740
2. LR AWD Performance without FSD $56,740

* The price difference is only $1,000 I could put FSD later, but I am not sure how much will they charge for it later.
However, I cannot upgrade from LR AWD to LR AWP Performance. I am not sure do I really need performance model.
I test drove LR AWD btw.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

If it were me, I'd go for the performance, because of this logic:
1. You can't upgrade an AWD to Performance (currently impossible)
2. You can upgrade a performance model 3 to have FSD down the road

The car already comes with AutoPilot, and given the distance you travel, you'd rarely be using anyways... Might as well get something where you would feel the difference on your day to day drive (faster acceleration).

Reactions: raptor5244
I just modified my AWD order, kept everything the same and saved 3500 (white) over night. Paying cash, so prefer to see that amount stay in my checking account!

Plenty fast already and cheaper consumables (tires/brakes) in the long run. I’ll put some of that savings towards tint and ppf.

If it were me, I'd go for the performance, because of this logic:
1. You can't upgrade an AWD to Performance (currently impossible)
2. You can upgrade a performance model 3 to have FSD down the road

The car already comes with AutoPilot, and given the distance you travel, you'd rarely be using anyways... Might as well get something where you would feel the difference on your day to day drive (faster acceleration).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Before the discount, I never even think I cold get performance model because it is too expensive not worth $10,000. Now, $7,000 is not that expensive and I could get it if I gave up the FSD. I cannot try not to think this matter at workplace lol

I asked my agent, she said it will take at least 10 days to get LR AWD Dual Moter because they do not have in stock.
However, If I choose Performance, they can get it from other state, they have in-stock which is made on 6th July 2019.
I live at GA, she said it will take at lease 1 week to get delivered from LA, just for delivery,

I dunnoooooooooooooooooooooo what I should choose......

I just modified my AWD order, kept everything the same and saved 3500 (white) over night. Paying cash, so prefer to see that amount stay in my checking account!

Plenty fast already and cheaper consumables (tires/brakes) in the long run. I’ll put some of that savings towards tint and ppf.

I was going to choose white exterior (I already chose white interior), but I chose black because they charge extra $ on white.
My current drive 2017 RF Miata is white getting sick of this color sometimes.

I am so glad they discount on Model 3, but charge $750 on Black which I chose.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

You can also have them remove the "Performance package" (I have heard), which includes the 20" wheels, red brake pads (I think), etc. If I were you, I would look into doing that, take that savings and get FSD. Then, sell the aero's, buy a third party 19" wheels (or aftermarket), and have the calipers painted red for $500. Just my .02

The fact that you are trying to cost justify the Performance says it all. In your heart you want the Performance. Don’t settle just get what you want and have no regrets. As mentioned earlier FSD can be added via software later on but it is pretty worthless right now. Every time you step on the accelerator you will be reminded why you got the 3P.

Personally I’d go for AWD but skip the FSD. If they ever get it fully working you can always add it later. Performance speed is nice but how often will you be able to take advantage of it? The base AWD model is a tremendous value right now.

Actually, the additional performance of the 3P is more usable than you would think. The extra power in the P is really down low between 0-50mph where we spend the most time. The 3P adds an additional 100 hp and tq and since it is instant it is very noticeable. If you don’t crave the most shove back in the seat you can get as you pull out of corners or blast onto on-ramps then agreed, save the money.

Actually, the additional performance of the 3P is more usable than you would think. The extra power in the P is really down low between 0-50mph where we spend the most time.

That's highly YMMV of course.

Probably 95% of my miles are spent on highways for example, with most of the remaining 5% being roads/situations the 4.0 vs 3.2 0-60 would make no useful difference.

You can also have them remove the "Performance package" (I have heard), which includes the 20" wheels, red brake pads (I think), etc. If I were you, I would look into doing that, take that savings and get FSD. Then, sell the aero's, buy a third party 19" wheels (or aftermarket), and have the calipers painted red for $500. Just my .02
I checked with Tesla, they cannot do it

Thanks