Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Probably More Woody...Not Tinny

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carbon Fiber for me, please. White interior and carbon accents would make me extremely happy...

You know it is carbon fibre reinforced plastic. So you are happily paying more for a plastic interior. And it isn't like you'd save lots of weight by having a carbon fibre trim. A complete hard plastic trim would actually be lighter.

That carbon fibre trend will be gone sooner or later and people will acknowledge that while carbon fibre is great to build cars with, it really isn't a trim piece. In a couple of years we will wonder how we could have ever thought carbon fibre looks good as a trim piece.

You know it is carbon fibre reinforced plastic. So you are happily paying more for a plastic interior. And it isn't like you'd save lots of weight by having a carbon fibre trim. A complete hard plastic trim would actually be lighter.

That carbon fibre trend will be gone sooner or later and people will acknowledge that while carbon fibre is great to build cars with, it really isn't a trim piece. In a couple of years we will wonder how we could have ever thought carbon fibre looks good as a trim piece.

Couldn't care less about weight and the weight differential between plastic trim and carbon trim would probably be less than if I ate a Big Mac for lunch. I like the look, have done my own carbon layup on a variety of projects for over a decade and love it's appearance. I like to see wood in the forest and would rather take carbon-look plastic over painted plastic any day. I don't think the appeal of carbon fiber is going anywhere and if I had the money I'd have a P1, Pagani or something and pay whatever it cost to have the bare carbon.

Carbon fiber has looked good for decades now. It is useful to save weight over plastic if designed correctly. Unless you have a super car the weight savings are negligible, but the nice looks remain and will remain. The clean look of carbon fiber isn't going anywhere.