Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Production ramp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have gotten this thread way off topic. All I was trying to suggest is that it would not behoove Tesla to be in a slow ramp up phase at the point they cross 200,000 US sales. They could literally be leaving hundreds of millions of dollars on the table if they were. I don't see them letting that happen. We're talking about more than 20% price reduction from the base price, so it's really hard to brush off as not being a big factor. Tesla is going to want the Model 3 to be the hottest selling electric of all time before wanting to face down the prospect of selling without the credit. That way, the popularity of the car can carry it past the price jump.

I'm fairly certain Tesla will not put a self-imposed limit on the ramp up of production. They will ramp up production as fast as they reasonably can. In a perfect world, they would fill all the preorders on the first day of production. That's just not realistic. If they could do that, it would be amazing and they could make a lot of customers extremely happy. They will do what they can. I don't see how a tax credit for their customers would increase their ability to ramp up production faster.

I'm fairly certain Tesla will not put a self-imposed limit on the ramp up of production. They will ramp up production as fast as they reasonably can. In a perfect world, they would fill all the preorders on the first day of production. That's just not realistic. If they could do that, it would be amazing and they could make a lot of customers extremely happy. They will do what they can. I don't see how a tax credit for their customers would increase their ability to ramp up production faster.

It's not about them retarding production but about hitting max speed as soon as they can (which I would hope they'd do regardless of any tax credit situation), and where that production goes. They have a little wiggle-room because the 200,000 number is just for US sales. So if they're approaching that 200k towards the end of a quarter, they can adjust the numbers without adjusting production totals by making (or more accurately, delivering) cars for other markets until the new quarter hits, so that they cross the 200k US finish line at the beginning of a quarter instead of the end of one. An extra quarter of tax credit would certainly be good for them. There is only so much delay a customer will take of course, so if they're about to hit 200k smack in the middle of a quarter there probably won't be a lot they can do about it.