Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can't the snake be designed to close the cover?
I wrote the answer for that in my previous post but then deleted as it got too long.
Closing the lid is possible, though opening it would still happen with actuation. Which still requires mechanism, wires, etc.
And closing with a snake would likely scratch it. If snake would have soft edge then it would wear out which is also not ok.

To those who speculate about the card in cupholder. It can not be a key as Model 3 will likely have keyless access.
That means key must have a battery. Inducing enough current wirelessly for sending rolling+fixed codes to the receiver is not happening.
Without battery it would be able to work at no more than 5-15cm (like NFC tags), depending on antenna size.
Though buttons on the remote are actually not necessary for trunk access nor vehicle locking. Model 3 will not have power liftgate option. It will be manual. Most buttons have no point. Though with frunk having button on remote is more simple and cheaper solution. I would even consider no frunk button on remote acceptable. Frunk will not be "a daily thing" anyway for most of us.
Very small buttonless dongle/toycar on my keychain is fine. Though this DEFINITELY requires charging port to be sensitive to pressure.

What is that box on the passengers seat? Looks like an organ donor box.
img_1129-jpg.232395
unknown-5-jpeg.232355

See the battery clamps, that is one of those jump starters you take to charge a dead battery, or start the car from. I thought the M3 didn't have 12 volts in it so I don't know what it is doing there, but those 7 ports also in the passenger well probably hook to a computer for diagnostics. That backpack underneath has a computer in it, perhaps they use the charger to run the computer w/o tapping into the system under test for power...

-Randy

See the battery clamps, that is one of those jump starters you take to charge a dead battery, or start the car from. I thought the M3 didn't have 12 volts in it so I don't know what it is doing there, but those 7 ports also in the passenger well probably hook to a computer for diagnostics. That backpack underneath has a computer in it, perhaps they use the charger to run the computer w/o tapping into the system under test for power...

-Randy
Model S and Model X do have a 12V battery that many systems (particularly infotainment) run off of. I know Tesla wants to get off of it onto something like a 48V, but I thought they hadn't got there quite yet with the first revision of the Model 3.

I wrote the answer for that in my previous post but then deleted as it got too long.
Closing the lid is possible, though opening it would still happen with actuation. Which still requires mechanism, wires, etc.
And closing with a snake would likely scratch it. If snake would have soft edge then it would wear out which is also not ok.

To those who speculate about the card in cupholder. It can not be a key as Model 3 will likely have keyless access.
That means key must have a battery. Inducing enough current wirelessly for sending rolling+fixed codes to the receiver is not happening.
Without battery it would be able to work at no more than 5-15cm (like NFC tags), depending on antenna size.
Though buttons on the remote are actually not necessary for trunk access nor vehicle locking. Model 3 will not have power liftgate option. It will be manual. Most buttons have no point. Though with frunk having button on remote is more simple and cheaper solution. I would even consider no frunk button on remote acceptable. Frunk will not be "a daily thing" anyway for most of us.
Very small buttonless dongle/toycar on my keychain is fine. Though this DEFINITELY requires charging port to be sensitive to pressure.
I don't use my frunk "daily", but it does get used enough that I would definitely get frustrated if I had to use the touchscreen to unlatch it rather than my keyfob.

Aero losses dominate the range equation. Same Cd as an S but 15% less frontal area?

Elon tweeted about a year ago that the Cd is 0.21 vs 0.24 for the S.

If the MS just has the same range of 238 miles as the bolt with the 60kwh battery then it's pretty safe to say that scaling up to a 75kwh would give you about 300 miles (ignoring added weight). Elon has very strongly hinted that the MS will have longer range than the bolt, and given that the bolt has a Cd of 0.32 that is not really hard believe.

Chevy Bolt EV is ‘a disaster for aero’ says lead designer, has a drag coefficient of 0.32

There is no way that MS 75kwh will have a range of less than 300 miles unless they fill the frunk with lead and pull a parachute behind it.

I should note, the EPA tests tend to be more weight biased. So the aero contribution is reduced. That's why even with 0.32 Cd Bolt still gets a good highway EPA rating. The average speed on EPA highway I believe was only around 48mph.

I expect the base Model 3 will be heavier than Bolt, the 75kWh even more so.

I don't use my frunk "daily", but it does get used enough that I would definitely get frustrated if I had to use the touchscreen to unlatch it rather than my keyfob.
Well cheaper vehicles have less options. Some vehicles still have no trunk release button on the trunk itself. Must be done manually in the cabin. Though those vehicles cost less than 35k, more like 20k-25k.
Might also be premium function on M3.

-Randy
Model 3 would definitely have 12V. The talk about eliminating 12V is for the Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
Well cheaper vehicles have less options. Some vehicles still have no trunk release button on the trunk itself. Must be done manually in the cabin. Though those vehicles cost less than 35k, more like 20k-25k.
Might also be premium function on M3.
Yup. Originally the Model S trunk wasn't auto closing--that was part of the tech package. I'm hoping for a premium package or something on the Model 3 to enable automatic trunk and charge port door (and keyfob with buttons, if indeed they end up going with just an NFC card on the base model). At some point I'll have to weigh my options though - keep waiting for Tesla to introduce more features on the 3, just get a 3 and accept I didn't get everything I wanted, or stretch and get a more basically optioned Model S (I plan to have at least a modestly optioned 3).

Have we seen any images of the Model 3 frunk? Does it even have any storage space or is it possible the hood would only need to be raised for maintenance?
The picture of the UI showed an Open button for the hood/frunk. I don't know if we've seen an actual shot of the frunk. If we have, it would have been from the reveal. I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed there will be a frunk, but don't hold your breath for cavernous storage there. When Model S got AWD, the frunk lost a considerable amount of storage space to make room for the front motor. My understanding is that post-refresh, even RWD Model S's get the smaller frunk now, to simplify supply chain and assembly.

NFC key will not happen. This is tricky. Can't keep card in wallet due to interference. My walled has 3 NFC cards already.
Model 3 will not have actuated trunk lid. Not standard, not optional equipment. Charge port door, most likely will be actuated on all M3s.

Model 3 frunk will be small. One big gym bag at most. Not sure about AWD version. Model 3 nose is much MUCH shorter compared to Model S/X. Though it still has pretty much everything. No air suspension compressor... no HEPA.

NFC key will not happen. This is tricky. Can't keep card in wallet due to interference. My walled has 3 NFC cards already.
Model 3 will not have actuated trunk lid. Not standard, not optional equipment. Charge port door, most likely will be actuated on all M3s.

Model 3 frunk will be small. One big gym bag at most. Not sure about AWD version. Model 3 nose is much MUCH shorter compared to Model S/X. Though it still has pretty much everything. No air suspension compressor... no HEPA.
The nose length is an interesting point. The S has a longer hood than the X. When I see under an (AWD) S hood, I'm amazed at how far in front of the windshield the trunk starts. We're talking at least a foot. On my X, it's a few inches at most. I've always assumed Tesla is able to accomplish that by doing more vertical stacking of components in the taller frontal area of the X. This may or may not translate to the 3. Either way, I'd agree that it will be a very small frunk. Don't plan on being able to fit full size suitcases or golf clubs in the front, like you can in the old school RWD Model S (for the golf clubs at least).

Reactions: arnis
BTW. I saw those slipstream wheels.
Those are actually wheel covers for smaller 18" rims. Very likely Tesla did an awesome trick with EPA range estimation.
All who get standard rims get those covers for free. Installed in factory. Therefore this setup will be used by EPA.
Therefore more range. Though customers can remove those covers if they wish. I think I would use them in winter and
drop them in summer. Spokes do actually make problems where I live.... SNOW:D
h4br28z2745z.jpg

Also I LOVE THE STALKS! Thanks Elon!
Having R-N-D-A on one monostable (returns to home) stalk is the best way it could be done. Push up for Reverse. Push down for Drive. Push down twice (or push down hard or push and hold) for A (Autopilot), push button for Park. Also push left button for swipe and push hard (or push and hold) for wash. Most likely Push and hold P for emergency brake.
img_1129-jpg.232395