Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A password on a touch screen is actually more practical as having a card means you'd need a way to read the card. Now if this is a new practice and they are using cards with cryptographic keys in a future for service centers and engineers then integrating a RFID card reader might make sense where keys can be tracked, granted, and revoked...

It's important as cars become more and more computerized that auto manufacturers take security seriously.
My thinking, after it was mentioned by someone else, was that this would be more secure. You can only access the diagnostic screens with a key card and the key cards are only kept at the service centers. That way there is no need to invalidate passwords or revoke access when people leave the company.

I don't think it'd be too challenging to put a button under the lip that's above the license plate. It could be located between the plate lights. Once the car is "unlocked," just push the button and the trunk opens.
True, but if it's an RFID card that is doing the unlocking you're also going to need a sensor built into the trunk near the button. Then, if the card is in your wallet, you'll need to rub your butt up against your trunk in order to unlock it so you can turn around and push the button. With a fob you don't have the range issue and they can even do away with the release button on the trunk itself if they wanted to save a few $.

Model 3 will have ultrasonic sensors all the way around. Maybe they could use those to detect a hand or foot wave that could open the trunk/frunk. That would be cool. Don't know if the resolution would be sufficient. In theory, they could add this after the fact, just as a software update on all HW2 cars.

I wrote the answer for that in my previous post but then deleted as it got too long.
Closing the lid is possible, though opening it would still happen with actuation. Which still requires mechanism, wires, etc.
And closing with a snake would likely scratch it. If snake would have soft edge then it would wear out which is also not ok.

For opening, in the manual version, I assume it will be a spring, and a latch to hold it closed and is controlled by the driver through some switch in the cabin. To adapt this for the robot snake, adding a RF reader next to the charging port, wire it to the said latch, and have a RFID built into the robot would probably do the trick.

The robot snake can be serviced if there are soft parts on it that can wear over time.

My thinking about building as much of this auto-charging capability into the robot instead of the car, is that the robot is at a central location which can be serviced much easily by Tesla than cars. This also minimize the HW that is required to install into each car, instead, just the minimum set of a spring, latch, RF reader is needed. The complicated motorizing movement is done by the charging robot. Tesla will build millions of cars vs probably 10-100Ks of charging robot, so it would be more cost-effective this way.

Reactions: Zaphod
  • Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
Elon tweeted about a year ago that the Cd is 0.21 ...

"Hopefully":
musk-21.png

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and cdub
This is a bit confusing since the Sonata SE has it, only the GLS doesn't. The link I found was the 2011 model, not sure if this changed since then (I only picked from the first page results).

That is confusing. Some guy in that same thread mentioned his 2014 didn't have it either. I'm not really sure why Tesla or any other car company for that matter would want to go down that path.

See the battery clamps, that is one of those jump starters you take to charge a dead battery, or start the car from. I thought the M3 didn't have 12 volts in it so I don't know what it is doing there, but those 7 ports also in the passenger well probably hook to a computer for diagnostics. That backpack underneath has a computer in it, perhaps they use the charger to run the computer w/o tapping into the system under test for power...

-Randy
Yes, it's used as a power supply for the testing equipment. All the equipment would be too much to all run off the car 12V system by itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
It would be pretty easy to have it when you put the car in park, the screen changes to the open frunk/trunk/charging port screen.

In fact, you shouldn't ever get that screen unless you are in park.
This is exactly how the Model X works. Except the dialog allows you to open any door, cause they're all powered. I'm actually not sure if this screen has a charge port door button, cause I would never use it. The button on the charging wand that opens it is far more convenient.

Having R-N-D-A on one monostable (returns to home) stalk is the best way it could be done. Push up for Reverse. Push down for Drive. Push down twice (or push down hard or push and hold) for A (Autopilot), push button for Park. Also push left button for swipe and push hard (or push and hold) for wash. Most likely Push and hold P for emergency brake.
Okay, but we still don't know how TACC will be engaged, and how TACC following interval will be set and adjusted.

For those wondering why we think the card is the key (and don't browse reddit), this was 'leaked' three days before those pictures were posted:

A reliable source of mine has also confirmed a small detail. Apparently all model 3s will come with a matte black keycard to keep in your wallet that will serve as your car key if you ever lose your phone.

Could still be wrong, though. He said matte black, while this was clearly white. But it's also the old Model 3 logo.