Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's your reasoning for why the aero wheels are covers for that particular rim.

That doesn't mean they will be shipped with every car.

It depends on if the final stated EPA range requires them or not. If it does, then they have to be included equipment. If not they will be optional.

I'm betting they are needed/added to bump the EPA range (maybe to something higher than 238?), and will be included. But I have a terrible track record with Model 3 guesses, so I am sure it will be the opposite.

It depends on if the final stated EPA range requires them or not. If it does, then they have to be included equipment. If not they will be optional.

I'm betting they are needed/added to bump the EPA range (maybe to something higher than 238?), and will be included. But I have a terrible track record with Model 3 guesses, so I am sure it will be the opposite.

Exactly. It's nothing more than speculation. Yet I have seen several people state the aero wheels will be standard, as if it's a verified fact.

I apologize for straying off-topic, but if anyone is interested in a short but pretty accurate account of the who what where and why of Tesla's beginnings (some of which contradicts Mr Musk's Twitter post), this is worth reading:
Here's The Untold Story Of How Tesla Motors Got Its Name
Note the dates.
Robin
From Wikipedia: "On Monday, a Tesla representative said that Eberhard and other principals in the dispute have come to an agreement. The company did not reveal any details of the resolution, except to say that there are now five, rather than two, agreed-upon "founders" of Tesla. In addition to Eberhard, other founders include current CEO and chief product architect Elon Musk, current chief technology JB Straubel, Marc Tarpenning, and Ian Wright."
So, officially, Elon is a founder.

They will at a minimum have very large center caps to cover the hub hole and lugs, which are not closed chrome lugs, so need to be covered.

Exactly. It's nothing more than speculation. Yet I have seen several people state the aero wheels will be standard, as if it's a verified fact.
Well, those 18" wheels aren't shipping with nothing over the center area. So either it's a very large center cap, or the aero cover that we have actually seen on some of the RC's. So, which is more likely to be shipped with the car?

We've even seen one of the RC's with the 19" wheels with its center caps on. So I think it makes sense that the cars will ship with the components that we have actually seen on the RC's.

Reactions: tracksyde
From Wikipedia: "On Monday, a Tesla representative said that Eberhard and other principals in the dispute have come to an agreement. The company did not reveal any details of the resolution, except to say that there are now five, rather than two, agreed-upon "founders" of Tesla. In addition to Eberhard, other founders include current CEO and chief product architect Elon Musk, current chief technology JB Straubel, Marc Tarpenning, and Ian Wright."
So, officially, Elon is a founder.
We should start a separate thread, maybe.
The Wikipedia entry is not inaccurate. That's how court cases sometimes go. It's not always about right and wrong. Sometimes it's about what's affordable and what's not. But it's interesting how Mr Musk's departure from PayPal happened under almost identical terms: in order to ease him off the board, (something Musk has described as a "mutiny") Max Levichen and Peter Thiel agreed to call him a "founder." This seemed best for all at the time. Whether the end result was best for Mr Musk - or PayPal- I'll leave to Wikipedia.
Robin

We should start a separate thread, maybe.
The Wikipedia entry is not inaccurate. That's how court cases sometimes go. It's not always about right and wrong. Sometimes it's about what's affordable and what's not. But it's interesting how Mr Musk's departure from PayPal happened under almost identical terms: in order to ease him off the board, (something Musk has described as a "mutiny") Max Levichen and Peter Thiel agreed to call him a "founder." This seemed best for all at the time. Whether the end result was best for Mr Musk - or PayPal- I'll leave to Wikipedia.
Robin

YES, please start a new thread, this is way off topic:confused:

It seems to me that Tesla is deliberately driving that trio around just to get attention and generate excitement. And it's working... :p
I'm around this area sometimes, and I see Infiniti test cars (with camouflage, Michigan manufacturer plates) so it's a popular place for automaker testing. I guess they want to test on a hilly area; I wouldn't assume it's just for attention.

They will at a minimum have very large center caps to cover the hub hole and lugs, which are not closed chrome lugs, so need to be covered.
Why can't they just use a standard size center cap (for only the hub area) and 5 individual plastic nut covers (as in the Model S)? As I showed in my other post, having individual lug nuts shown is very common for this type of wheel design. They don't necessarily have to have a large cover to cover all lugs at once.

I live 2 miles away from factory and work in SF and I have yet to see any RCs with my own eyes. What am I doing wrong?
Take a vacation day, if you don't have a DSLR with a nice lens then go rent one and camp out with a lawn chair in front of the factory (bring sunblock). When you finally spot a Model 3, then make sure you have that camera ready with burst mode. Extra points if you run up to the side of it and get high quality interior shots. :D

Reactions: arjay
Prius had plastic "aero covers" back in 2006, they are not expensive, can be easily removed, and apparently can improve Cd/range numbers. I am somewhat intrigued by the look of the M3 aero covers especially if they were offered in a matte finish silver grey. However, exposing the base aluminum wheel design leaves me unimpressed unlike the Prius which looked better without the covers. I am also in favor of the size and design of the larger 19" wheels so maybe this aero cover thing will not be an option anyway.

Cleaned up some engineers junk in one of the interior RC pictures for the wood trim thoughts thread.
Interior3.jpg

For those who want to play spot the difference.
output_UXA0j9.gif