Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it does turn out the "key" is a card, would it be a passive transponder like a bridge/road toll tag? If so, it would have the advantages of not having a battery that will run down and being much more compact than a mini-car key fob. And you won't have to worry about accidentally depressing a button if your jeans are too tight. ;)

I like the idea of a card as a key. And those advantages you mentioned seem like good ones.
But I wonder how close it needs to be to the car... If it was in your wallet would you have to hold it up against the door for it to notice your key?
The battery powered proximity keys I have now don't require you to take it out of your pocket.

Damn, if that's the case, I may have to break down and buy a smartphone after all. I have been able to resist getting one (a phone is for making/receiving phone calls) for years. :mad:

You have to be one of the few people in the market for a Tesla that doesn't have a smart phone. If the credit card in the cup holder is the key you can hold out but with the added functionality of the app I would think it would be recommended to have a smart phone to unlock all the features of a Tesla.