Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those early S aero wheels could be ordered when you ordered the car, just like any other available wheel style. Almost no one bought them and they were dropped.

See New Tesla building in Fremont with many Supercharger pedestals (not yet operational) . That building is a delivery center. One TMC member has posted that he took delivery of his new X at that building. It will certainly be used for Model 3 deliveries. So far there is no indication that those Superchargers (which are not yet operational) will be available 24/7 like a typical Supercharger location. At this point we don't know.
Thanks! I did a search but obviously didn't use the right key-words. I'm going to visit it during my road trip at the end of the month!

Nice angle in that photo. Looks fantastic. I remain a serious fan of those wheels. I wish they were available for the S/X.
I just hope the production version is a silver or light-gunmetal finish (see attached) and not brake-dust-dirty/dark coloring.

From today's sighting:
silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center-3-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
I initially didn't see this thread and created a new one on Sunday. I was waiting to see if the mods merged the threads.

I may have seen a RC on SR-14 in Vancouver, WA on Sunday. I was headed westbound on 14 and a car was coming off I-205 onto SR-14 east. It was Tesla blue, had what looked like the Tesla nose (though a not quite the same as the S nose), it was the same shape as an S, but a little smaller. I only saw it for a second so I didn't have time to verify it was a Model 3.

the key to quickly differentiating S, 3 and X is look at the door handles. If the front and back door handles are together, it is 100% an X. If the front and back door handles are separated and the handles are rectangular, you have an S. If the front and back door handles are separated and not rectangular (almost like a hockey stick), then you have a 3.
Another way to tell is if the car is clean-shaven, then it's a Model 3. If it has a mustache, then it's an X or refreshed S.

That sounds a lot like a quick glimpse of an X - how familiar are you with those?

Very, I've probably seen around 30-40 in the aluminum at this point. This was definitely smaller and lower profile than a Model X.

the key to quickly differentiating S, 3 and X is look at the door handles. If the front and back door handles are together, it is 100% an X. If the front and back door handles are separated and the handles are rectangular, you have an S. If the front and back door handles are separated and not rectangular (almost like a hockey stick), then you have a 3.

I didn't have a chance to check the handles. I would have if I had a longer look. I also saw the car mostly from the front because it was coming down the ramp onto the freeway in the opposite direction.

Problem with that "article" is that the comparison appears to be factual but is complete bunk based on incorrect assumptions.
They make the assumption that the prototype is on 19" wheels, whereas all the high res photos show it to be 20", which makes the car 5% smaller if SN1 is on 19"
The other problem, as pointed out by @Garlan Garner is that we don't actually know the wheel size for SN1. All the RC's on that type were on 19s but we have nothing that proves the wheel size of the production model.
So, its a comparison, but not much of one - sadly.

Another way to tell is if the car is clean-shaven, then it's a Model 3. If it has a mustache, then it's an X or refreshed S.
You failed to mention that if the car is suctioning up krill through a gaping fish mouth, it's an unrefreshed S.

Disclaimer: I own one of these plankton consumers and love it.

Problem with that "article" is that the comparison appears to be factual but is complete bunk based on incorrect assumptions.
They make the assumption that the prototype is on 19" wheels, whereas all the high res photos show it to be 20", which makes the car 5% smaller if SN1 is on 19"
The other problem, as pointed out by @Garlan Garner is that we don't actually know the wheel size for SN1. All the RC's on that type were on 19s but we have nothing that proves the wheel size of the production model.
So, its a comparison, but not much of one - sadly.

It's even worse than that. Using different camera lenses at different distances and zoom levels can lead to significant differences in how an object looks. Since no one has any idea about the lenses used to take either photo, this sort of comparison is completely pointless. Literally nothing there is a reliable comparison.

Very, I've probably seen around 30-40 in the aluminum at this point. This was definitely smaller and lower profile than a Model X.

I didn't have a chance to check the handles. I would have if I had a longer look. I also saw the car mostly from the front because it was coming down the ramp onto the freeway in the opposite direction.

Prob just a Mazda 3, not a Model 3. Happens all the time

I initially didn't see this thread and created a new one on Sunday. I was waiting to see if the mods merged the threads.

I may have seen a RC on SR-14 in Vancouver, WA on Sunday. I was headed westbound on 14 and a car was coming off I-205 onto SR-14 east. It was Tesla blue, had what looked like the Tesla nose (though a not quite the same as the S nose), it was the same shape as an S, but a little smaller. I only saw it for a second so I didn't have time to verify it was a Model 3.

On the model 3, the Tesla Insignia on the front is on the hood as opposed to in the front (as is seen on the Model S and X).
Also saw the Blue one in Fremont, with the Turbine or Slipstream rims. Looked very sharp, and first glimpse was of the nose, emblem on the hood and curved daytime headlights, distinctively different enough to be easy to spot when on.