Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to update.....

Final tally for my repair bill $7850 +PPF replacement costs....actual repair time was 5-7 days, but getting the parts took about 2 months to get everything. They not only had to replace the bumper, floor pan and deck lid, but had to add paint to other parts of the car to ensure full blending. I certainly can't tell the difference between original and replacement painted areas. Unfortunately, they had to paint parts of omg rocker panel so had to rip off the PPF in that area as well. Will have to wait at least 30 days to replace the PPF since the paint on the bumper/rocker panels needs to cure.

Happy to have the car back and the car looks pretty much back to its original condition.

P.S. insurance company took care of everything including PPF costs.
How do you go about letting insurance know about the PPF so they cover it in the event of an accident?

How do you go about letting insurance know about the PPF so they cover it in the event of an accident?
Not sure how to do it before an accient, but after the accident, you just show them pictures of the car. They could clearly see that I had film on the car and where it was damaged. On the photos I posted, you can tell the film is there. I showed them an invoice of how much it was to reinstall from original installers.

Not sure how to do it before an accient, but after the accident, you just show them pictures of the car. They could clearly see that I had film on the car and where it was damaged. On the photos I posted, you can tell the film is there. I showed them an invoice of how much it was to reinstall from original installers.
Okay. So when you get insurance you do not need to add this to the cost of the car or anything like that. You just let them know that you had this service and it was damaged.

So in the US you don't have to advise the insurance company of any modifications to the car?

In Europe you usually do, and if you don't they can invalidate your insurance and any claims you try to make. It can make things like paint protection wraps a waste of money, because the increase in your insurance premium is more than the money to saves you on paint repair.

Fortunately some insurance companies are starting to realize this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Microfrost
So in the US you don't have to advise the insurance company of any modifications to the car?

In Europe you usually do, and if you don't they can invalidate your insurance and any claims you try to make. It can make things like paint protection wraps a waste of money, because the increase in your insurance premium is more than the money to saves you on paint repair.

Nope

• Helpful
Reactions: 1 person
View attachment 280776 View attachment 280775 View attachment 280769 View attachment 280769 Got rear ended in my 3 yesterday. Was almost at a standstill and a volvvo s60 came crashing into my backend. The 3 survived with a cracked bumper and a dented trunk. The volvo on the hand had its front end almost demolished. The 3 is fully operational with exception of rear back up sensors not working. Amazing contrast in damage between the two cars. Now I truly believe in how safe these cars are.

Side note, hazard light immediately engages automatically once an accident occurs. It took me 5 mins to figure out where the hazard button was to disengage. Now the saga of trying to find parts to fix the 3. Given how slow production is, not sure if that helps or hurts my chances on getting parts I need to fix the car

You want the car to absorb the impact and not pass the energy to the passenger. That's what makes a safe car. Looks like the Volvo is well designed to protect the occupant.

Reactions: JPUConn
Glad to hear it.

Just to update.....

Final tally for my repair bill $7850 +PPF replacement costs....actual repair time was 5-7 days, but getting the parts took about 2 months to get everything. They not only had to replace the bumper, floor pan and deck lid, but had to add paint to other parts of the car to ensure full blending. I certainly can't tell the difference between original and replacement painted areas. Unfortunately, they had to paint parts of omg rocker panel so had to rip off the PPF in that area as well. Will have to wait at least 30 days to replace the PPF since the paint on the bumper/rocker panels needs to cure.

Happy to have the car back and the car looks pretty much back to its original condition.

The amount of damage from a low speed impact like this is not an indicator of the safety of either car... either good or bad. Cars from 40+ years ago would survive an impact like this with very minor, if any damage but the occupants would have been more likely to have at least minor injuries. As speeds increase, the difference between old & new cars is more dramatic. I'm sure most of us have seen a crash of a race car on TV where the car almost completely disintegrates and the driver walked away. Modern cars are based off of this idea where the car sacrifices itself for the occupants. It's important to remember that car accidents are violent and unpredictable so all you're doing with a "safer" car is improving your odds. There are examples of good & bad outcomes in just about every car during a crash. Cars with better safety features/ratings should, in theory, have less serious injuries per 100/1,000/10,000 crashes but each individual crash is so random that it's hard to predict exactly what will happen.

Getting off of my pro-science soapbox, I'm very bummed for your car but glad you're ok.

If you want them COVERED, you need to report them. If it's something that might have contributed to the accident, you're potentially in trouble. I don't expect my insurance company to cover my Ceramic Pro coating if I crash the car through my own fault, but if someone else hits me, you can be damned sure I'm going to expect his insurance company to cover it.

I do, however, wonder what would happen if his insurance company is the same as my insurance company. In such a case I might be told "tough feces" and have to pay for reapplication out of pocket, even though that'd be fairly silly.

Just to update.....

Do you have pictures of your fixed car? During the 2 months, did their insurance also cover the cost of rental car? or you're driving this around while waiting for parts?

Reactions: 1 person
Do you have pictures of your fixed car? During the 2 months, did their insurance also cover the cost of rental car? or you're driving this around while waiting for parts?
Car is in shop getting springs installed. Will have it back later today. Will try to remember to post pictures later.

During the two months, the car was drivable so no need for rental. Even when it was in the shop for three weeks, I was either out of town or could drive my other cars. Having said that, I am pretty sure the insurance company would have paid...it was a question they asked early on.

Last edited:
Just got the car back from the shop....a little dirty, but you can see the work they did. Really can't tell that anything had happened.

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

What happened to the Volvo's front is the difference between saving or killing a pedestrian in the advent of a collision!!! Cars move forward so, in order to save pedestrians lives, they need/should have enormous capacity to absorb energy in a frontal collision.

The repair bill for the Model 3 is insane! Ot really hurts one of my possible arguments to change my Model S for a Model 3: that the Model 3, the simpler car for the masses, would be a more inexpensive car to maintain.