Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Regeneration vs. Temperature & Accessory Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am almost sure that one engine consumed 3-3.5kW for heating, and you multiply that by two if you have a dual motor. This can change with software updates though... Winter is coming, I'll be able to see what's going on in a month or two when it gets real cold.
If temps are around 50F or below you can probably see it now aswell since the car engages the motor for preheating even now. It's been around 5-10C at night were I live now for a few weeks ans when I preheat the motor usually starts to heat battery. Since the battery is only 2/3 in size and coolant loop is smaller on only RWD 3.5-4kW might be sufficient.

A thing I have noticed lately us that SOC matters a lot for regen at low temps. A few days ago SOC was 64% and night temp was 8C. I only got 1/5 of regen. I'm guessing 15kW. Some days later it was 42% at same temp overnight. I then got about 1/3 regen or around 25kW, and today, same temp 23% SOC and got 3/4 regen or about 50kW I guess, the freeze icon appeared during driving and max power was 2/3.

I watched 2 of Teslabjorns videos were he sees the same in his TM3. Both times the car had been parked in the cold for long periods and battertemp was around 3C. When SOC was a bit over 60% he only got 3-4kW regen at that temp. When SOC was slightly above 40% he got 20-25kW regen. Quite a difference.

Over 80% SOC we all expect limited regen even at good temps, but the 3s battery differs a lot from TMS which seems quite similar at low temps no matter if SOC was 10% or 90%.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
@taraquin, you're almost saying I should maintain a lower SOC in winter so I can get more usable regen... That's getting me thinking. I never realized this but then I was maintaining my SOC around 80-90% most of the times. When warm, even at 80-90% SOC I get full regen afaik, that's not a problem.

My car is sleeping in a heated garage and I'm not going to the office these days so I don't preheat at all.

@taraquin, you're almost saying I should maintain a lower SOC in winter so I can get more usable regen... That's getting me thinking. I never realized this but then I was maintaining my SOC around 80-90% most of the times. When warm, even at 80-90% SOC I get full regen afaik, that's not a problem.

My car is sleeping in a heated garage and I'm not going to the office these days so I don't preheat at all.
You can direct the car to a local supercharger to artificially warm the battery.

Oh, I know that works. I've done it 2-3 weeks ago on a trip. I just don't remember the consumption, and I was driving so that affects what can be done. A motor that is driving the wheels cannot at the same time be used for "excess" heat generation. The system will take the heat that is generated from normal driving. Not the same test.