Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Resale Value Top of Class

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To throw something out there.. how low does a 3.3 second car out there get?

Would a 3P drop to 40K with no takers?

That's a good point.

I remember when I was 16 years old and wanted to move up to a more street worthy motorcycle from my 125cc Suzuki. The classified ads had a Kawasaki S2, a 350cc three-cyl. 2-stroke. I wasn't really sold on the idea that it was still a 2-stroke but I decided to go test ride it anyway, thinking I wouldn't spend that much on it because it wasn't really what I was looking for.

The guy selling it didn't seem like the most upstanding character and the bike wasn't in the best condition, but he was desperate for the money so he told me to ride it even though I told him it wasn't what I was looking for. I rode it a couple of miles, it seemed to run pretty well and reasonably good power. Then I decided to open it up in 2nd gear. I was impressed with the power as it climbed past 5000 rpm but then something totally unexpected happened. It hit 7000 rpm and changed from a friendly puppy into a screaming, fire-breathing tiger. The front wheel was clawing at the sky before I could roll off the throttle, I almost looped it. I turned around, heart beating fast as I had never ridden a motorcycle with such explosive acceleration. It was at that moment I knew I was going to buy it. I rode straight back and handed him the full asking price, eager to learn how to tame the amazing machine that goes from puppy dog to fire-breathing tiger at the flick of the wrist.

Yes, an AWD P3D will always be in demand! And people will always be willing to pay for power they don't need. Of course it will need to always be more affordable than a new machine with the same specs but that goes without saying. The question is, how much less. And I would argue the "need for speed" is strong enough that people will pay whatever they can afford within reason. I don't see anything arriving on the 3 year horizon, perhaps even the 5-year horizon, at a price point that would crush the resale value of ANY Model 3, let alone a P3D..

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
What's the time frame? Just look at a M5 or AMG that is 12-15yrs old. They were $80k during there day and can now be bought for $7k to $15k.

That's the problem with performance/luxury ICE cars. Once they have some miles on them, the repairs and maintanence cost so much the car just isn't worth much after 12-15 years when it's pushing 200,000 miles. People that can afford the expected operating expenses don't want it because it's an old car and people who would love to have a nice used car at a reasonable price don't want it because they can't afford the likely repairs and maintanence.

In the 12-15 year timeframe, the value of a Model 3 will depend upon the amount of average battery degradation. If it's high, like 25-30%, the cars won't be worth as much as if it's minimal, say only 10%-12% on average. As long as the batteries are holding up well and there are no major endemic mechanical issues, they will retain their value far better than ICE cars long term. Especially if ICE cars are not allowed in city centers and other cogested areas. Doubly so if gas is up to $5/gallon.

Reactions: MXWing
That's the problem with performance/luxury ICE cars. Once they have some miles on them, the repairs and maintanence cost so much the car just isn't worth much after 12-15 years when it's pushing 200,000 miles. People that can afford the expected operating expenses don't want it because it's an old car and people who would love to have a nice used car at a reasonable price don't want it because they can't afford the likely repairs and maintanence.

In the 12-15 year timeframe, the value of a Model 3 will depend upon the amount of average battery degradation. If it's high, like 25-30%, the cars won't be worth as much as if it's minimal, say only 10%-12% on average. As long as the batteries are holding up well and there are no major endemic mechanical issues, they will retain their value far better than ICE cars long term. Especially if ICE cars are not allowed in city centers and other cogested areas. Doubly so if gas is up to $5/gallon.

@Solar - Stealth hit the rationale why a 12-15 year old M5/AMG is VERY problematic even if the entry price is low.

People are paying HOW MUCH for Leafs with 70 mile range or something as a commuter? Model 3 with 50% battery degradation is over half that and a whole lot more fun.

My Volt lease is ending in Oct of this year. How cheap is the cheapest Model 3 going to be? The oldest one with the most miles I wonder if it will be under 30K? Those would be LR / PUP.

New Kelly Blue Book values put the Tesla Model 3 resale value at the top of any comparable class or segment:

Tesla Model 3: 2nd Best Resale Among All Cars, Tops Segment & All Classes

A couple of months ago there were some very vocal people trying to create the false impression that Tesla's lost value faster than any other car (but without any facts to back it up). The new Kelly Blue Book rankings should put that manufactured fantasy to bed!
Care to update in light of the recent price drops? :p
Price drops that were entirely predictable if you thought Tesla would deliver a $35k Model 3? $9k to upgrade from SR to LR would be ridiculous.
For the record I thought Tesla would never sell a $35k Model 3 so I was wrong about that.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
$9k to upgrade from SR to LR would be ridiculous.

Are you suggesting the $6k difference between the standard partial premium car and long range version isn't worth it? For me a car with only a 220 mile range is a nonstarter. Giving this a little more thought though that is a big price difference for 100 more miles of range (given there are some minor interior upgrades).

Is the range difference just in the software or is the battery a different size?

Are you suggesting the $6k difference between the standard partial premium car and long range version isn't worth it? For me a car with only a 220 mile range is a nonstarter. Giving this a little more thought though that is a big price difference for 100 more miles of range (given there are some minor interior upgrades).

Is the range difference just in the software or is the battery a different size?
They used to charge $9k just for the battery upgrade (before the SR was ever sold). Obviously that made no sense since it's only a ~50% larger battery. The range difference is not just software but people aren't sure if there are actually four different battery sizes.

They used to charge $9k just for the battery upgrade (before the SR was ever sold). Obviously that made no sense since it's only a ~50% larger battery. The range difference is not just software but people aren't sure if there are actually four different battery sizes.

You should be able to tell if the batteries are different sizes by looking at the published weight of the different models.

• Disagree
Reactions: SunCharged
Isn't there a parts catalog you can check to see if the batteries have different part numbers?

Yup- it lists 5 of em.

ASY,HVBAT,E3,LONG RANGE,RWD,1PH,M3
1104424-00-M

ASY,HVBAT,E1,STANDARD RANGE,RWD,NA,1PH,M3
1104428-11-M

ASY,HVBAT,75kWh,AWD-RWD,1PH,M3,RMN
1137375-01-J

ASY,HVBAT,75kWh,AWD-RWD,1PH,M3,RMN
1137375-01-K

ASY,HVBAT,MID RANGE,E2,RWD,1PH,M3,REMAN
1492754-01-K

• Informative