Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations ($1000 down) will be accepted in Tesla stores....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, but I don't think 20 people in line is all that news worthy. Doesn't make a good tv news image like 500+ people in line for days waiting for an iPhone.

I'm not so sure about that.... Remember it's a car, not an iPhone. When was the last time you heard about anyone lining up in a line waiting for the doors to open to buy a new car at full price? And a car no one yet has seen, or know much about? A car from a relative new manufacturer? A car with an alternative drive line? It's not even a cheep car - expect in comparison with TMS/X? And that will not arrive in yet 1 to 2 years? Yes, even 20 persons in line on more then one shop is in my opinion news worthy. If it's 20 persons in line at 50 shops or more, or anyone at all at most shops in the US, it is big news. And if it is even more...

This is my feeling as well, especially given that this is an EV.

Plus if things go really well consider:

- Stock bump, possibly for 2 days if it stays in the news for 3/31 and 4/1.
- The 4/1 reveal itself, including the GF it appears.
- The possibility that EV popularity will push oil prices even lower, given that EVs are getting that much closer to impacting oil demand in a noticeable way.

So while preorders themselves may not be huge news, when you string together all these events it could be a very good week for Tesla. Any one of these three things (and likely more) could amplify news of the others.

I'm not so sure about that.... Remember it's a car, not an iPhone. When was the last time you heard about anyone lining up in a line waiting for the doors to open to buy a new car at full price? And a car no one yet has seen, or know much about? A car from a relative new manufacturer? A car with an alternative drive line? It's not even a cheep car - expect in comparison with TMS/X? And that will not arrive in yet 1 to 2 years? Yes, even 20 persons in line on more then one shop is in my opinion news worthy. If it's 20 persons in line at 50 shops or more, or anyone at all at most shops in the US, it is big news. And if it is even more...

Some of us live close enough to stores (about 19 miles for me), that it's no big deal to go there.
Some of us support Tesla publicly, not just internally.
Some of us like to chat with other enthusiasts in person.
Some locations will have long lines. Just plain and simple.
The lower your Reservation #, the earlier you'll be offered a chance to submit purchase order. The earlier you submit your purchase order, the earlier your car will be delivered (Yes, I understand that production and delivery will be batched, but you still have to understand that there is some logic to this. Imagine if 300 people in your city order the exact same car [unlikely, but work with me here]... do you want to be number 5 to receive, or number 300?).

This sums up my thoughts. I really just want to be part of the moment, but also if there is a chance that where my reservation is place might affect whether I receive the full tax credit, then being there for the reveal certainly would not hurt me at all. But it's really just to be there with other Model 3 enthusiasts, getting to know the staff at the local SC, bragging to my friends, etc. It's all in fun.

Well, the idea of restricting the reservation process to only those willing to show up in person (even if only initially) strikes me as a bad idea for a publicity stunt. Tesla is leading the way in changing not only how and what we drive, but also how we buy our cars. They've been fighting the good fight against the dealership model, and making the best use of connectivity, so it seems out of character to do this.

imagine Tesla forcing everyone to bring their cars in to an authorized location to receive a software upgrade, just for the "publicity." It makes no sense.

I'm very pro-Tesla. I made the trip to the 2014 shareholders meeting just to be around people who share my enthusiasm, so I get that desire. What I don't get is making people jump through unnecessary hoops, when the online infrastructure is already well established. Seems asinine to me.

The other problem is it's not fair to people who don't have a store near them. I'm a 3 hour drive from the nearest one so that's 6 hours of driving plus whatever the in-store time is. There are plenty more on this board who are even farther away. So we will automatically be in line behind those who are near one. At the very least this will cost us months in getting our M3 and might also cost us the tax credit.

Ok, but I don't think 20 people in line is all that news worthy. Doesn't make a good tv news image like 500+ people in line for days waiting for an iPhone.

That depends 99% on the intent of the camera operator.
I have a good example of this from 2003, but it would likely get Snipped away into the Politics Quarantine Thread.

20 people in line, from the right angle, would look like teeming masses! From another, would look like lukewarm interest by a smattering of nerds.

Nobody can stop Tesla from creating some stock and increase capacity of its factory even if that happens at the same time that the federal tax credits gets on the phase out period. They could even sell the car half-baked and the you would need a visit to the service center for "inspection" :).

Even in Denmark they do this kind of stuff, they do not buy the cars with radio because it gets 170% VAT and then the service center installs it afterwards. And what about the loophole on the Hummer law that allowed tax "evasion" to Hummer buyers thanks to its massive weight? That mega-gas-guzzling horrible 10 mpg car...

It's completely legal, Tesla would just try to max out the benefits of the federal tax credits and I think it is a worthy cause. The stock market would be very pleased to see TESLA being able to outsell BMW 3 series.

Why even bother making this statement

Why even bother making this statement
Because it is true. Nothing wrong or remotely illegal with making sales decisions to markets in a way that maximizes tax benefits to customers. Tesla has to make a choice to make a car to sell in the us, or uk or anywhere else. They would be imprudent to not make that choice in a way that maximizes sales by maximizing tax benefits to customers by simply delivering more cars outside the US in one quarter vs a different quarter.

Imagine how this "In Stores On March 31 or Online On April 1" could influence residents in states that aren't yet allowed to have Tesla Stores to petition for the government to get onboard and allow direct to customer sales already! Not that Tesla can put up 20 new stores in the next month in those states... but there will be a lot of upset residents who decide to wait or travel out of state to accomplish the reservation.