Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Reveal Event Coverage (3/31/16) 8:30PM PST - Discussion/Pictures/Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little confused about the presence or absence of a rear hatch - versus - trunk.

Because....

1. There have been comments along the lines of "...so glad it's not a hatchback..."
2. Mr Musks's introduction specified "font and rear trunk"

and

3. He also asserted one could fit a 7'-long surfboard.

To me, those statements are mutually incompatible. Any help, here?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
More important to me for the long-term success of the Model 3:

Can those at the reveal suggest how narrow the vehicle is? For NoAm roads - even most urban ones - this is NOT a concern but it most definitely is for Europe, Japan, Hong Kong, India, most Latin American cities and I'll assume for a lot of places I don't know personally, like China.

Assuming the rear seats fold down, I don't see why you couldn't fit a long surfboard in the trunk.

I'm a little confused about the presence or absence of a rear hatch - versus - trunk.

Because....

1. There have been comments along the lines of "...so glad it's not a hatchback..."
2. Mr Musks's introduction specified "font and rear trunk"

and

3. He also asserted one could fit a 7'-long surfboard.

To me, those statements are mutually incompatible. Any help, here?

I was not at the event, but my guess is that the rear seats fold down (or will) and that with the rear seats folded a seven-foot long surf board could be inserted through the rear trunk area, extending forward, between the front seat passengers.

1) The Model X has an optional larger single charger, I suspect this will apply to the Model 3 as well.

It's possible the larger optional charger in the Model X could be standard equipment by then. No real need to have two options if you can reduce the cost of the second option by mass production.

Yep. I know. The Easter egg allowed adding dual chargers also. I'm hoping to hear that the model Ξ will permit chairing to at least 72A. I'll need to take full advantage of the destination chargers in places that will never have superchargers.

A fight is brewing ... I can just tell.
My wife is set on red, while I think the grey-blue looks stupendous.

And NO, I am not going to buy two.

SOLUTION: Throw the gunmetal, cyclone rims on the black model and call it a day!!
Tesla Model 3 - Black with Gunmetal Rim Insert.png

Fun reading this thread retrospectively. A few comments based on our experience and some of the questions up thread:

• I sat in the front for the short test ride (the matte grey). Obviously trying to take everything in, and with it being dark wasn't easy, but the seat was comfortable. Identical seat controls to those on my (2013) Model S. Plenty of legroom.
  • It felt fast. Driver didn't hold back, certainly as quick as my S85. Tight handling on the turns.
  • It was dark, so couldn't really appreciate the roof, but everything up there felt very well finished. Headliner was black Antarctica. Cabin lights were cool, behind a black mesh that I assume visibly vanishes into the headliner when they're not lit.
  • Car was noisy over bumps, but aside from that, 'felt' like a production car. The matte grey was a dual-motor (confirmed by driver)
  • Like all the drivers, they confirmed that the center-mounted 15" screen is not conceptual - it's part of a thought-out design. It's been done before, so I'm sure it's legal, but it does take some getting used to. BUT, sure makes the LHD/RHD adaption easy to manufacture. I wonder how it would work in a crash test. It appeared to have a quite solid aluminium support arm holding it, so if a rear center passenger was launched at it, not sure how that would go. Regardless, they'll figure it out.
  • The screen had a UI, but there was no navigation done by the driver. Seems odd to me that they didn't retain the ratio of the S/X screens to avoid having two UI's.
  • Other interior bits were not finished. The center console had rings marked in the wood of where the cupholders would go, but that was it. The steering wheel was a strange little suede thing...they obviously have wheels in the parts bin, so this feels like an effort to show that the wheel will not have all the functions as the S or X, otherwise they would have just used one of those.
  • My wife was in the back - middle seat. Not such a great experience there. With three adults, it's cramped, just like any other car in this segment.
  • No autopilot hardware
  • The matte grey looks cool, but it really shows the fingerprints. The doors looked fairly gross by the time we got in it.

Overall, the interior definitely had that 'car of the future' feel about it. Very minimalist dash. If it stays, it's likely indicative of the priority placed on providing lots of interior space, because, some point soon, the steering wheel will mostly be an accessory, so why point all of the focus towards the driver.

The outside seems practically a done deal. Tight panel alignment, nothing sounding like a 'kit car' when doors were closed. Trunk, when open, was fully engineered on the underside, not just a shell. Maybe the nose will change a bit more, and the lights, and I'd be really surprised if any of the metal has any more material changes.

And finally, kudos to Tesla for finally running a solid event. Well organised, practically on time, and a good, non-rambling presentation. I love Elon for his rambles, but this was for a world stage, and it had to be sharp. It was.

I wonder how it would work in a crash test. It appeared to have a quite solid aluminium support arm holding it, so if a rear center passenger was launched at it, not sure how that would go. Regardless, they'll figure it out.

I just wanted to reply to point out that if the rear center passenger is ever launched into the console on any car, you've already failed the test. I don't know of any testing agency that expects unrestrained rear passengers to be safe in the event of a serious collision.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I just wanted to reply to point out that if the rear center passenger is ever launched into the console on any car, you've already failed the test. I don't know of any testing agency that expects unrestrained rear passengers to be safe in the event of a serious collision.
Maybe, but 22% of people still do not buckle up on the back, so cars tend to be designed with this in mind, regardless of the crash test requirements. Any dash protrusion on a newish car will either retract into the dash, fold, snap off or be protected by an airbag.

• Informative
Reactions: jscholl
I really don't like the front end. It's just plain to empty. it's like looking at a person with a flat area where the lips would be.
maybe in time my opinion will change. I just wish Tesla would include Aruba in their sales areas. Until then my Model S
will be just that, a wish. Dear Tesla motors, allow me to make my wish come true

No doubt EVAnnex is already working on after market nose enhancement designs.

Just noticed that the Tesla has updated the wording for Model 3 Supercharging since this morning.
To me this indicates that SC capability is included on all cars, but perhaps will be activated for a fee.

I agree that the change in those two versions is pretty ominous.

On the other hand, what Musk said at the reveal, and the way he said it was also quite unambiguous. I just watched that part of the video again. Musk said, starting at 15:01:

"Then with respect to Supercharging, all Model 3s will come with Supercharging standard."

He then went on to explain why Supercharging was important, and spoke about "Freedom of Travel."

It would be disappointing if Tesla is already changing their plans on this.

Here's the video: