Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 ride height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have a 3 Performance and my understanding is that the 3P has 130mm ground clearance and 4LR has 140mm.
So when I bought the KW V3, they say that lowers 20-50 mm.

Adjustment is then: 50-20 = 30mm.
Now range on collar to adjust this is: 15mm.

Which gives a ratio: 30 mm / 15 mm = 2

So laymans terms: If I adjust 1 mm on threaded collar, it should change ride height by 2 mm.

Now what I then did was to try different heights but it all the time seemed crazy low.
Now I am almost at the MAX setting, so my front is 147 out of 150mm (3), so this means:
20 mm (fixed lowering) + (3 mm * 2 factor) = 26 mm

Then on rear I am on 49 out of 50, which means:
20mm (fixed) + (1 mm * factor 2) = 22 mm

What this then in theory should mean:
Clearance front: 140 - 26 = 114 mm (11.4Cm)
Clearance back: 140 - 22 = 118 mm (11,8 Cm).

However when I have this setting, I can just fut a 2x4 some places under the car.
That should fit with over 1 cm clearance, so I dont understand how/where to measure ride height?

What I am worried about is mostly for the car to hook on speedbumps, as they can be 10 Cm tall.

Tire pressure can affect ride height by several mms at "normal" pressures. The way to measure ride height for setting up coilovers is wheel center to fender.

I once had a set of KW v3's for a Jetta Sportwagon (Golf Variant in Europe). There was absolutely no way they were specced correctly, the minimum drop in the rear was absurd. But rather than fix the issue, they just sent me spacers to add to the spring perch like this:

s-l500.jpg

I'm not saying this is your problem, just that KW doesn't have a perfect track record :) Since you're having trouble on both ends, perhaps they specced the kit for a SR; the M3P weighs 600lbs more

They are for the correct car, its for AWD Model 3, the RWD kit is not the same.
Also the gap to fender seems to be within specs, but I just cant believe that the minimum drop is 20mm, when my car looks much lower than other 3Ps with in theory just 12mm more lowering. Yesterday I lookd at a 3P at a supercharger and it had very much room above tire, while on my car I can not fit two fingers in (maybe 1,5 fingre height).

Will measure the distance from centre of wheel and compare with a friends car, as I didnt measure mine before lowering.

Other than that I think they are great should be said, a notable improvement over factory suspension-
Its of course stiffer while driving active, yet at slow speed more comfortable and feels more direct on both conering, braking and accelleration. Only place its less comfortable is driving at some sections of freeway with very harsh tarmac or on brick roads with a lot of bumps.

So I am liking them I just dont understand the low ground clearance seeing that my car in theory just is about 12-16.

Tires are set to 42 PSI, I am using the OEM 20" 3P wheels at the moment so its 100% within specs if considering tire size.

Ok, turns out I read wrong, the minimum lowering is 25mm front and rear.
So I have indeed lowered it 31mm front and 27mm rear, which then is in theory 11cm ride height.

Should be noted that I can still barely fit a 2x4 under the body panels below doors.
I am wondering a bit about dropping it maybe 5-10mm more, but not sure if I dare especially since my GF also is driving the car and we have a lot of misdesigned speed bumps. yesterday I found several short speed bumps 18+ Cm tall! They are supposed to be maximum 10 Cm and be "long" so they act as a hill, but the short bumps wont lift the car on both wheels as well for increased cleareance.

If you want to keep the KW3 and return to almost stock ride height than you might want to consider @MountainPass 1.75" lift kit:
MPP 1.75" Model 3/Y Suspension Lift Kit | Mountain Pass Performance

Did you do anything to correct rear camber? Without the lift kit there should be a big change to rear wheel camber which can be corrected with aftermarket rear camber arms such as the ones by @MountainPass
MPP Arastradero Model 3/Y Rear Camber Arms | Mountain Pass Performance

If you want to keep the KW3 and return to almost stock ride height than you might want to consider @MountainPass 1.75" lift kit:
MPP 1.75" Model 3/Y Suspension Lift Kit | Mountain Pass Performance

Did you do anything to correct rear camber? Without the lift kit there should be a big change to rear wheel camber which can be corrected with aftermarket rear camber arms such as the ones by @MountainPass
MPP Arastradero Model 3/Y Rear Camber Arms | Mountain Pass Performance
Hi,
I dont want stock ride height, I want as low as possible without risking hitting the ground :)
So I am happy with the height I have now. Today I also removed the 20" wheels and bought some 4S tires in 235/40-19 for my TSW winter rims, so Ill use them as sumemr rims untill I get my new ones.

I have looked at the MPP parts, I havent done anything other than paying for an alignment yet.
So what I have to do is first to get this approved by the "DMV" in Norway, then I will show the car with the alignment papers, TUV papers from kW and TUV papers for H&R spacers for my TSW Wheels.

Then after that I can do more stuff if I want, but I cant add non TUV parts when I go for approval :)

Driving half mile an hour? I have to slow to a crawl to get mine over. I bought car like this or it wouldn't be as low. I either have to slow to a crawl or drive at an angle. Not sure how it's going to work if I have to drive over grassy non paved area.

Driving half mile an hour? I have to slow to a crawl to get mine over. I bought car like this or it wouldn't be as low. I either have to slow to a crawl or drive at an angle. Not sure how it's going to work if I have to drive over grassy non paved area.
I guess your car must be lower than mine then?
Or do you have soft springs? I can drive like 30km/h over large speed bumps.