Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The product page says it doesn't hold water, but maybe @enemji can test it a piece in the tub and find out?
and as expected the water just beads away

993BAEB5-0D9E-47DB-9DF3-DA280C53E0B9.jpeg

@enemji my roll is on order! Thank you so much for all the work you’ve shared with us.
Note: The 4mm roll has an adhesive back covered with paper. Because I did not want the paper to be part of the solution (gets wet, etc), I took off the paper and folded the foam on itself ie stuck itself using it's own adhesive. This actually benefited from doubling the insulation.

Reactions: XPsionic
Note: The 4mm roll has an adhesive back covered with paper. Because I did not want the paper to be part of the solution (gets wet, etc), I took off the paper and folded the foam on itself ie stuck itself using it's own adhesive. This actually benefited from doubling the insulation.
Gonna buy 1 roll, where do you think I should stick/put the rest of the roll other than in front of the front doors for the most effective results?

I won't double fold mine like OP, so it should still work. I will report the results here....
Would you be sticking it to the panel? I would be interested in seeing how well a mat whose intended use it to add weight and stop vibrations performs as a sound transmission blocker. In this case we are attempting to block the sound created by the tires from traveling across. Keep us posted.

OK so here is what I did: I first roughly cut some packing paper to a little larger size and pushed it into the opening to take the imprinted shape of that space, I marked the edges with a pen, then took it out and cut with scissors, creating a paper template, which I used to cut the mat to size. If I then just put it in there, it stays, but it's not stable and tends to move around after the door opens a few times. I then removed the adhesive cover and tried to attach it that way, but it is hard, since it can't be put cleanly over the spot, it has to slide into place, and with the adhesive it's impossible. I had to cut it into several sections to make it doable, and it's still not perfect. I will just redo it more carefully later, but for now I will drive around like this to see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: enemji
OK so here is what I did: I first roughly cut some packing paper to a little larger size and pushed it into the opening to take the imprinted shape of that space, I marked the edges with a pen, then took it out and cut with scissors, creating a paper template, which I used to cut the mat to size. If I then just put it in there, it stays, but it's not stable and tends to move around after the door opens a few times. I then removed the adhesive cover and tried to attach it that way, but it is hard, since it can't be put cleanly over the spot, it has to slide into place, and with the adhesive it's impossible. I had to cut it into several sections to make it doable, and it's still not perfect. I will just redo it more carefully later, but for now I will drive around like this to see if it makes a difference.
Cut it couple of millimeters oversize making it a snug fit. This will hold it in place. That is how I did it.

Reactions: XPsionic
Do report back! Also, does your foam cover/block the panel gap at the bottom of the A pillar area?

I then removed the adhesive cover and tried to attach it that way, but it is hard, since it can't be put cleanly over the spot, it has to slide into place, and with the adhesive it's impossible. I had to cut it into several sections to make it doable, and it's still not perfect. I will just redo it more carefully later, but for now I will drive around like this to see if it makes a difference.
that is where the PE foam is more manageable as it folds and springs back to the shape and gets a snug fit.

I actually chickened out and after some 30 mins went back to the car and removed the whole thing, as it was not put in place to my satisfaction and I was afraid that it would become sticky and impossible to cleanly remove later. I will try to do it differently.

Cut it couple of millimeters oversize making it a snug fit. This will hold it in place. That is how I did it.

That's the new plan!

Do report back! Also, does your foam cover/block the panel gap at the bottom of the A pillar area?

I tried to, but the area is not flat there so it's tricky. I will certainly try with the new cut.

that is where the PE foam is more manageable as it folds and springs back to the shape and gets a snug fit.

Yeah, this one is easily bent and won't stay in place by itself. However the important thing is to deaden the sound, and this one looks like it would do a good job in that respect.