Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to hop on this thread. Been following for a few weeks.

I decided to finally bite the bullet and did the following after seeing what others have done:

Sound deadening on:
  1. Frunk luggage compartment.
  2. Trunk lower compartment.
  3. Left and right side rear wheel well and surrounding walls
  4. Sugru on A pillar front
  5. Left and right passenger fender cavity

I have an early-ish VIN 2018 3 LR RWD. Didn't have any deadening tape on the trunk tub but there was a thick piece of mixed cloth like fibre panels stuck to the bottom and front of the liner. Can any newer 3 owners comment on whether they have this?

I'm going to wait before sharing results as I have the old school appliqués on my mirrors and they stick out quite a bit as there's no anchor on the upper portion (was added in a later part revision). Fairly certain they've been causing a whistling noise I keep hearing on my commute. Appears to come from the windows but I've already adjusted the track, height, and re-calibrated those. I've ordered some from china at 1/4 the cost Tesla quoted me so I'll install those and then provide an update. They should arrive sometime this week.

Photos below. I was too lazy to pull the rear seats to get the liner out so I just propped it up with a piece of wood while I worked. Forgot to take a photo of the left and right rear wheel wells but I did take a photo of the sub and amp/dac lol.
Why do you have Sugru on the A pillar?

Try the material that enemji linked earlier in the thread. It is the material that I purchased. I dont have any acurate instrumentation to measure the difference, but there is a definitive elimination of wind noise from above the dash.
I don't think the material is what makes the difference. His and mine are used for the same purpose, mine is even thicker (but he doubles his). It is probably just subjective at this point, as there is no measurable difference in noise levels (at least by using my phone and checking the levels on the computer later). I have to admit that me, too, FEEL like it is better with it, and even though it is probably just placebo, I will keep the inserts for that reason.

Reactions: enemji
I don't think the material is what makes the difference. His and mine are used for the same purpose, mine is even thicker (but he doubles his). It is probably just subjective at this point, as there is no measurable difference in noise levels (at least by using my phone and checking the levels on the computer later). I have to admit that me, too, FEEL like it is better with it, and even though it is probably just placebo, I will keep the inserts for that reason.
Closed cell foam is also what is used in acoustic panels used for acoustic treatment of a room. Maybe that does make a difference.

Closed cell foam is also what is used in acoustic panels used for acoustic treatment of a room. Maybe that does make a difference.

I know, my studio is full of those panels. But it is not the only material that works - it is just the most practical and light for use to attach to the walls. You can also use rubber etc. and the most important thing is that the sound waves don't transfer unimpeded from one end to the next, but lose power inside the material. Again, those mat rolls they sell are all pretty much the same, just cut in different sizes and with different profiles. The bigger question is - is the sound really coming from that small section? That requires better testing setup than I have.

Reactions: enemji
Why do you have Sugru on the A pillar?
Some folks put 6mm neoprene tubing there, others came up with a 3D printed version made of TPU. Sugru was suggested by @TLLMRRJ from this thread. I preferred it due to its temperature range in low and high temp. applications.

Here is the thread:

I’m now having an issue with wind noise coming from my driver side window area. Seems to be from halfway near the upper seal to the rear edge of the window. Wonder if I should buy new door seals since they’ve been revised from my 2018s. I’ve already tried adjusting my window track, maybe I have to push them in more to increase pressure against the seals.

@enemji did you use a D shaped seal behind the upper flap of the window seal? I saw the piece along the vertical portion.

I know, my studio is full of those panels. But it is not the only material that works - it is just the most practical and light for use to attach to the walls. You can also use rubber etc. and the most important thing is that the sound waves don't transfer unimpeded from one end to the next, but lose power inside the material. Again, those mat rolls they sell are all pretty much the same, just cut in different sizes and with different profiles. The bigger question is - is the sound really coming from that small section? That requires better testing setup than I have.
Take a look at this. This might help answer that question.

C02DBABF-DDDB-46C5-A8F4-C67536B0C96A.jpeg

I put foam underneath from behind the door that practically stops the flow of wind.
Is that the weatherstripping you added behind and in between the rear portion of the seal? How did you wedge it, what shape of foam/ seal are you using. I tried using a D shaped weather stripping with an extending edge and it causes my window to stick out at the top rear edge. It’s the only spot left to fix now. Couldn’t glue it with the provided backing either. Rubber seems too slick even after cleaning with isopropyl.

Referring to this post of yours:

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Is that the weatherstripping you added behind and in between the rear portion of the seal? How did you wedge it, what shape of foam/ seal are you using. I tried using a D shaped weather stripping with an extending edge and it causes my window to stick out at the top rear edge. It’s the only spot left to fix now. Couldn’t glue it with the provided backing either. Rubber seems too slick even after cleaning with isopropyl.

Same, I got D shaped seal and unlike what some of the posts in this thread and other said, they don't stick AT ALL on the OEM rubber seals.

So here are the 3 items I have done:

1. Added flat weatherstrip to the window gasket
DBB98B4D-2BF1-49D6-8CA8-6C7078A4D543.jpeg

2. Added Z-weatherstrip to the front door edge along the A-Pillar
05B367CC-E2E3-4811-AE8A-60B48A8ADF95.jpeg

3. Added closed cell foam behind the front fender along the A-Pillar
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

Took a slightly different approach to the solution, I used some foam and wedged it behind the rear of the front drivers side seal. Additionally, I pulled back the seal at the rear, and stuck more foam along the column of the B pillar frame where it meets the glass panel with the camera. This acts like a spine to prop up the seal where is meets the B pillar. Photos below:

Foam wedged behind seal:
3EE7E9E6-0827-412D-BFA3-B4BD1456B9C4.jpeg

Foam acting as a spine behind the frame seal:
1B658DC8-9909-486D-B9BA-77DB83513F4D.jpeg

I’m still struggling with a whistling noise right in the middle of my window. Any solutions are welcome, might have to re-align

Areas where I’m still getting whooshes and whistles:
6F1974CB-6A3D-4529-B2D3-1799ABB39206.jpeg

BB85BDDA-F6F8-4844-97D8-5C6A4313ABC0.jpeg

Overall it’s gotten a lot better in the wind.

Took a slightly different approach to the solution, I used some foam and wedged it behind the rear of the front drivers side seal. Additionally, I pulled back the seal at the rear, and stuck more foam along the column of the B pillar frame where it meets the glass panel with the camera. This acts like a spine to prop up the seal where is meets the B pillar. Photos below:

Foam wedged behind seal:
View attachment 913342

Foam acting as a spine behind the frame seal:
View attachment 913347

I’m still struggling with a whistling noise right in the middle of my window. Any solutions are welcome, might have to re-align

Areas where I’m still getting whooshes and whistles:
View attachment 913349

View attachment 913350

Overall it’s gotten a lot better in the wind.
I would recommend taking it to the service center and having it tightened. There is a process they are trained on. I did what I did because it was a weekend and it worked. If it had not worked, I would have taken it to the service center.