Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great find! (How did you arrive at that downloads area?)

I'm sad to find that they screwed this up to a certain extent. At least this finally tells us just about everything we need to know about how the installation will go. My hopes and dreams have been shattered. :) Now, how do I find just the parts? Those "clips" are the part I need most, that would be the most difficult to fabricate.

Last edited:
Hey EVNut, when you attached the baseline towers, did they interfere or scratch the door windows when they open and close?
Ah. Sorry for the confusion. That's not my car pictured. Those are images that Yakima shared with me. Typically Yakima is quite good about this though. The clips will likely compress the rubber behind the chrome trim enough to keep the clips away from the glass. Still, I really REALLY don't like this approach. If Yakima were to duplicate those little clips that will come with the OEM unit, and use those to fasten their Landing Pads to the anchors in the roof, we'd have an ideal, flexible rack solution (not quite as sexy as the OEM, but so much more convenient!)

Great find! (How did you arrive at that downloads area?)

I'm sad to find that they screwed this up to a certain extent. At least this finally tells us just about everything we need to know about how the installation will go. My hopes and dreams have been shattered.

The product page now includes a link to the support page that has a link to the manual.
I have a feeling some third party will make clip covers for those who don’t mind four warts permanently sticking out on top. Mount/dismount of the bars should be pretty quick if the clips are already there.

The product page now includes a link to the support page that has a link to the manual.
Ah, thanks! Man, you are on top of the Tesla rack page, my friend!

I have a feeling some third party will make clip covers for those who don’t mind four warts permanently sticking out on top. Mount/dismount of the bars should be pretty quick if the clips are already there.
Indeed. I'm somewhat surprised that Yakima hasn't yet done this, of course. And I think we should call this "semi-permanent" warts. When I've bolted on warts before, they have been through the roof skin *permanently*. If we can attach warts to the anchors, they can be removed completely with no permanent changes to the car. THAT is what I'm after!

Last edited:
Wow, KISS went out the window. Why didn’t they just put a little door that covers up screw points!? That’s what my WRXs had. Flip open, screw down and done.

Does anyone know if the Abrasion Tape can be used multiple times? Meaning, if you take the bars off, is the tape messed up or can it be used months later? I only need the bars in the winter.

Last edited:
Wow, KISS went out the window. Why didn’t they just put a little door that covers up screw points!? That’s what my WRXs had. Flip open, screw down and done.
Even better IMO: Attach the "pad" to the anchor with the clip and nut. That wart stays there for "rack season." Then you open a hatch on the tower, slip the tower over the pad, and lock it down when the racks are needed. Having to screw down the towers each time is quite an annoyance at this price point.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Even better IMO: Attach the "pad" to the anchor with the clip and nut. That wart stays there for "rack season." Then you open a hatch on the tower, slip the tower over the pad, and lock it down when the racks are needed. Having to screw down the towers each time is quite an annoyance at this price point.
You have to screw the Tesla tower down onto the pad. See steps 10 & 11.

Which removable rack system doesn't require fiddly stuff? haha
The racks on all of my previous and current cars. Anything with a "landing pad."

Both crossbars installed in under 30 seconds. Both crossbars removed in under 30 seconds. Like maybe 15? I need to make a video...

But now it comes down to how you define "removable." The most practical rack systems leave the "landing pads" (or warts) permanently attached to the vehicle. This takes some initial effort. After that initial install, each time the racks are used it is as simple as buckling your seatbelt.

Last edited:
Mine. Anything with a "landing pad."

Both crossbars on in under 30 seconds. Both crossbars off in under 30 seconds.

But now it comes down to how you define "removable." The most practical rack systems leave the "landing pads" (or warts) permanently attached to the vehicle. This takes some initial effort. After that initial install, each time the racks are used it is as simple as buckling your seatbelt.
Agreed. The warts aren't pretty, but it's super nice to be able to quickly pull the entire rack off for a longer trip that doesn't need them. I actually use 4 river straps suspended from the ceiling with eyebolts to remove and store/hang this system. Makes it so one person can do it easily.
IMG_0282.png

Agreed. The warts aren't pretty, but it's super nice to be able to quickly pull the entire rack off for a longer trip that doesn't need them. I actually use 4 river straps suspended from the ceiling with eyebolts to remove and store/hang this system. Makes it so one person can do it easily.
Nice! Did you bolt the landing pads directly into the sheet metal?

Long ago, I made a "rack rack"

160809.001.JPG

Nice! Did you bolt the landing pads directly into the sheet metal?

Long ago, I made a "rack rack"

No, our Model S has the sunroof so it has anchor points for the landing pads. Perhaps I confused folks. No solution for our Model 3, but it will likely get an Ecohitch this spring as we have that on our S too. I need to be able to quickly take the rack off to make a regular -250 mile round trip. So I don’t think it will get a roof rack any time soon.

Ah! So which landing pads did you use? Seems to me that the #11 would adapt well for the 3 by using the factory clips into the factory anchor points.
These are in fact the 11s on my S. The S and 3’s rooflines are so similar I would guess that part of the fit would work. So you’re correct, perhaps you could get creative with the factory clips and get 11s to work.

These are in fact the 11s on my S. The S and 3’s rooflines are so similar I would guess that part of the fit would work. So you’re correct, perhaps you could get creative with the factory clips and get 11s to work.
Actually not so sure now that I look at them. I fear the 11s will hang off the side of the roof (towards windows) as the mount point on the S appears to be about an inch further toward the center of the vehicle.

Actually not so sure now that I look at them. I fear the 11s will hang off the side of the roof (towards windows) as the mount point on the S appears to be about an inch further toward the center of the vehicle.
It appears to me that there's enough real-estate for the 11's, but the curvature of the 3's roof outboard of the mounting point will be an issue. An issue that could easily be solved by Yakima if they fabricated a proper rubber gasket that accounted for the curve. Or maybe some creative shaping of the bottom of the Landing Pad is in order.

It appears to me that there's enough real-estate for the 11's, but the curvature of the 3's roof outboard of the mounting point will be an issue. An issue that could easily be solved by Yakima if they fabricated a proper rubber gasket that accounted for the curve. Or maybe some creative shaping of the bottom of the Landing Pad is in order.
Dremel-away my friend!