Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 roof Tint issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to tint my 2018 Model 3 windows with ceramic tint. I am concerned about losing the cool orange glow on the roof when it rains. The tint company said they don’t recommend tinting the roof the 2018 Model 3 because there are issues with the roof glass cracking due to heat retention from the tint. They said the roof already has a lot of tint to reflect heat. They won’t warranty any damage that occurs on the roof if I tint It. Has anyone tinted the roof on their 2018 Model 3 and if so, what type of tint did you use, did you have any cracking issue or lose the orange glow?

That is true. There is risk, however small, of cracking the glass due to the glass acting as a heat sink. Your tinter just doesn't want to be liable for it, because you know how people are.

I got mine tinted without a second thought. If the glass cracks, it cracks. I'd just get it replaced.

Not quite sure what you mean by orange glow, sorry. What's casting the light source?

I have a 2019 with the orange roof and regular rear glass (early m3s also has orange rear glass). I had tint placed on all windows BUT the roof. I live in Florida where it is stupid hot and regularly get 140-150 degrees inside while parked. The top is tinted enough where it looks uniform with the sides and the AC works super well (standard AC, not heat pump but suspect it’s the same).
My recommendation is to tint all windows but the top as it’s not worth the risk. It all looks and works gress ast without. If it doesn’t work to your liking, go back, take the small risk and get the top tinted.

I am going to tint my 2018 Model 3 windows with ceramic tint. I am concerned about losing the cool orange glow on the roof when it rains. The tint company said they don’t recommend tinting the roof the 2018 Model 3 because there are issues with the roof glass cracking due to heat retention from the tint. They said the roof already has a lot of tint to reflect heat. They won’t warranty any damage that occurs on the roof if I tint It. Has anyone tinted the roof on their 2018 Model 3 and if so, what type of tint did you use, did you have any cracking issue or lose the orange glow?
No need to tint. In fact, this is a better, and cheaper option IMO. Get the roof sunshades. They simply clip into the head liner. Can be removed easily and any time you want. Don't have to deal with any tint issues and this blocks 95% of the sun and heat. This is how mine looks. you can get this in different colors as well. I got mine in black. Link here on Amazon: Model 3 roof sunshade

Attachments

• PXL_20210904_230837936.jpg
    PXL_20210904_230837936.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 1,008
I did that too (sunshades) with my 21 M3SR+ and it works perfectly fine. I got mine from Amazon as a pair and they came with the separate silver liners too so I have 3 options now. Regular glass roof, mesh and full cover. Bargain at under $60 too and it looks good.

Reactions: PITA and LBM4
I did that too (sunshades) with my 21 M3SR+ and it works perfectly fine. I got mine from Amazon as a pair and they came with the separate silver liners too so I have 3 options now. Regular glass roof, mesh and full cover. Bargain at under $60 too and it looks good.
Exactly. I got the back part too, just didn't show it in the pic. I didn't get the silver color though.
I actually prefer this look to having tint on the roof. I'm not a fan of moon roofs or people being able to look down into my car. This makes it feel more like a roof to me.

Reactions: PITA
Exactly. I got the back part too, just didn't show it in the pic. I didn't get the silver color though.
I actually prefer this look to having tint on the roof. I'm not a fan of moon roofs or people being able to look down into my car. This makes it feel more like a roof to me.
Even with the silver lining installed you can’t actually see it from outside the car but it makes a huge difference in heat transfer. I also use a cheap silver windshield sun shade too and that helps when it’s parked in the sunshine.

Reactions: PITA