Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD got beat by an Audi turbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How so? Based on the numbers, the LR (AWD) Y is a lot quicker than a RWD 3
  • Model 3 RWD: 5.8 seconds
  • Model Y LR: 4.8 seconds
The way the two cars handle. The Model 3 just drives better even if it’s the slower variant. The Model 3 really is a 4 door sports car…but I bought Model Y because it’s still great to drive and offers the utility (hatchback for my dog) that I need. But if Model 3 had a hatchback variant, that’s what I’d get.

Current Published 0-60 times
  • Model 3 RWD: 5.8 seconds
  • Model 3 LR: 4.2 seconds
  • Model 3 Performance: Not currently available but the last published time was 3.1 Seconds
  • Model Y RWD: 6.6 seconds
  • Model Y LR: 4.8 seconds
  • Model Y Performance: 3.5 Seconds
Summary: the 3 is slightly faster than than the Y. But I highly doubt anyone is deciding between these two vehicles based on this one difference.
My 2019 has the performance rear drive unit. It will do a roughly 5 second 0 to 60 time that toasts everything including a C8 and Cayman GT4 ( @ the speeds I am willing to run on the street). Test drove the “Highland” and while it is “better” the steering is “mah” and it is so much slower as to be an entirely different class of car. I just keep falling in love with my old car.

Maybe the Ludacris changes things.

Being 440 pounds lighter and having more power is an advantage for the older cars. I’d be a fan of a 400 hp Highland RWD with a lighter battery. I am not a fan of wrong wheel drive.

Reactions: B.K.
The way the two cars handle. The Model 3 just drives better even if it’s the slower variant. The Model 3 really is a 4 door sports car…but I bought Model Y because it’s still great to drive and offers the utility (hatchback for my dog) that I need. But if Model 3 had a hatchback variant, that’s what I’d get.
A two-door hatch or shooting brake body style (and possible rear-seat delete without exposing the electrical innards) would be awesome.

Maybe the Model 2 will offer that, but I suppose there won't be a Performance variant.