Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD got beat by an Audi turbo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 M3 SR+ RWD and a 2020 MY LR AWD. My MY is clearly faster and profoundly more entertaining to drive. I need to drive my bro-in-law's M3 LR AWD some time to see what that is like, and maybe a performance model.

I occasionally go full throttle in my MY to make a fool of a red neck in a truck. I would never attempt that in my M3.
Full throttle to beat a pickup? Something must be wrong with your car. I leave behind at only 1/2 inch throttle.

Reactions: Skavatar
I put it in standard mode and got beat by an Audi turbo-would speed change anything ? Cost and is it worth it ?
not sure how someone looking for insane acceleration ended up in the new RWD
we have 2x RWDs and they are amazing, but we were looking for the lowest cost Teslas
we also have the MYP which is a rocket ship, track mode even more crazy

get yourself a M3P, due in May is the rumor, or a MYP
or of course a X or S plaid, that's where you belong

good luck

Reactions: tm1v2
not sure how someone looking for insane acceleration ended up in the new RWD
we have 2x RWDs and they are amazing, but we were looking for the lowest cost Teslas
we also have the MYP which is a rocket ship, track mode even more crazy

get yourself a M3P, due in May is the rumor, or a MYP
or of course a X or S plaid, that's where you belong

good luck

I hate threads / comments like this. It makes readers think that the Model 3 RWD is a slow car and that they need to buy the Performance model.

Where in reality, it's probably faster than 90% of the vehicles sold. So for 90% of the people, the slowest Model 3 still evokes those famous words when floored "Holy Crap!!!"

I hate threads / comments like this. It makes readers think that the Model 3 RWD is a slow car and that they need to buy the Performance model.

Where in reality, it's probably faster than 90% of the vehicles sold. So for 90% of the people, the slowest Model 3 still evokes those famous words when floored "Holy Crap!!!"
I agree, reading the OP sentiment shows they want ultra fast vehicles

Reactions: ewoodrick
last summer when I was demo driving a lot, I drove a Model Y LR and Model 3 RWD back to back. In theory the Y was the (much) faster car but the 3 felt every bit as capable. In real world driving, the differences are pretty minimal.

Reactions: B.K.
Current Published 0-60 times
  • Model 3 RWD: 5.8 seconds
  • Model 3 LR: 4.2 seconds
  • Model 3 Performance: Not currently available but the last published time was 3.1 Seconds
  • Model Y RWD: 6.6 seconds
  • Model Y LR: 4.8 seconds
  • Model Y Performance: 3.5 Seconds
Summary: the 3 is slightly faster than than the Y. But I highly doubt anyone is deciding between these two vehicles based on this one difference.

Reactions: Skavatar
last summer when I was demo driving a lot, I drove a Model Y LR and Model 3 RWD back to back. In theory the Y was the (much) faster car but the 3 felt every bit as capable. In real world driving, the differences are pretty minimal.
I have a MY LR with performance boost and just test drove Model 3 RWD and it felt very zippy to me. Honestly, there's something about RWD cars that are just fun to drive and they feel faster than they are, to me at least.

Reactions: B.K.
I put it in standard mode and got beat by an Audi turbo-would speed change anything ? Cost and is it worth it ?
"beat" how? ¼ mile ... 0-60 ?

As others have noted, you have one of the slower cars Tesla make, and its not surprising that a high-end Audi might beat it on some tests, though you should still be able to beat if off the block (EVs have max torque at zero revs).

Is beating an Audi all that important?