Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pick-up went smoothly. I am a perfectionist, and an engineer by profession, so gave the car a thorough looking over before accepting. The paint, glass and interior (apart from a dirty mark on the driver-side 'b'-pillar) were perfect. I did notice three panel fit issues, the gap between the 'c' pillar and boot was a bit strange (not flat when looking from the read end-on) and this gave rise to a similar displacement on the rear-light cluster comparing that mounted on the body of the car and that on the boot. I haven't explained those very well. A similar alignment issue with the front bumper around the headlight. So four issues in total. The car was spotlessly clean on the outside and inside - the windscreen could have done with a polish on the inside and still had the witness marks of the suckers used to lift the windscreen in the factory. The car had done 7 miles and was 50% charged. And looked gorgeous. We were blown away. Just park all that for a second.

The Tesla rep at the NEC in Birmingham, young by the name of Shamir, was outstanding. I think the collection arrangements are often considered by non-Tesla bods to be poor, when compared with the likes of Mercedes and Audi in particular. I have to say, this was my best experience ever. Shamir helped me document the issues and to send them off to Tesla for a service request. He was professional, so helpful, very knowledgeable, so polite and patient, and went through a personalised set-up and pairing of phones with the car ... we could have done this ourselves but it would have taken about three times as long. I simply cannot fault the handover - just brilliant and a very memorable experience (no coffee of course, or ribbon round the car).

Driving out of Hall 16 at the NEC was an experience I will never forget ... our own Tesla! The car calibrated quickly and we followed the map onto the M6 heading West. I got the obligatory stone chip from a van on the inside lane. That seems to happen with every single new car I have ever had! Its tiny, and not in line of view. Went to a Tesla charger near Telford to try them out ... this is our first EV and it was very straightforward. And then it was plugged into the home charger overnight for a 100% charge on Octopus Intelligent (though the Tesla handled the charging rather than the 'Intelligent' functionality of the Tariff). We also topped it up with solar this morning, that was a joy to behold as our excess is usually dumped to the grid for nowt.

Back to where we parked, so to speak. The next day, I looked at the panel issues again (with a service scheduled for the 11th October). The boot issue around the 'c' pillar and rear light assembly has completely resolved ... the Tesla fairies must have been round or something. It is now perfect. The front bumper issue around the light is still just about there, I can feel it (with my finger tip) more than see it, and my wife can't tell at all. I can only think that the misalignments were something to do with how the car had been stored on a transporter perhaps ... who knows. The dirty mark will just wipe off with Autoglym, no problem - I will be giving the car its first clean tomorrow even though it isn't dirty. I am now wondering though about PPF on leading edges ... something I said I wouldn't do.

So I will be cancelling the service, not least because I just know that I will be getting another stone chip or worse if I travel over to Tamworth, and they will say the bumper is in spec anyway ... and I am sure it is. So, in conclusion ... me and the Mrs just love it! As do the neighbours (but I can tell they are jealous).

I am pleased too with all of the accessories purchased, detailed earlier. The Tesla mats are robust and fit well, and the Tessories bits and pieces are also excellent. We have two phones connected to the car besides the key cards, I won't be connecting my Apple Watch (which is getting temperamental) using the 3rd party app, but I am pleased that I splashed out on a key fob given that I always carry a key when I leave the house. It is handy for quickly locking and unlocking the car and opening the charge port.

I know this is a bit wordy, but hope it helps somebody ... anybody! Ooh, the other thing Shamir said was that this quarter had been busy with deliveries, but that it was nothing compared to what was happening next quarter! So from mid-November onwards do expect EDDs to be kept this time. The days of backlogs are over for the time being at least. Well worth waiting for, so glad I didn't cancel the order and switch to something else. TTFN.

Been on the app this week for the first time in months. Ordered march 22. Noticed that my credit approval had expired so re did that. Now notice that the EDD has changed from 15th nov -30th Dec to 29th nov - 5th Dec. A tighter window. But my trade in has still not had its price updated.

Worth getting excited? I've been here before when the EDD was a 10 day window then went back to just saying Aug 2022.

Anyway else's changed or got there vin, heard anything. I asked about cancelling my trade in and to see if they would have a negative impact on my order. In the reply I was informed hopefully due Q4 as that's when they've been told to expect new model 3s

Been on the app this week for the first time in months. Ordered march 22. Noticed that my credit approval had expired so re did that. Now notice that the EDD has changed from 15th nov -30th Dec to 29th nov - 5th Dec. A tighter window. But my trade in has still not had its price updated.

Worth getting excited? I've been here before when the EDD was a 10 day window then went back to just saying Aug 2022.

Anyway else's changed or got there vin, heard anything. I asked about cancelling my trade in and to see if they would have a negative impact on my order. In the reply I was informed hopefully due Q4 as that's when they've been told to expect new model 3s
Lots of folks have the same narrowing of window. Given that demand in China has slackened, its looking very positive for the Q4 EDDs to be fulfilled.

Reactions: graylscott
Rumours of Tesla China planning to reduce the price in China by 20% taking M3RWD to $33000 in response to slackening demand due to lower price competition. It makes sense in the context that Shanghai is said to operate at 35% margin and the factory needs to keep ramping demand to meet its expanding capacity, together with export Model Y being built elsewhere releasing even more capacity. Equally this wont equate into lower prices in the US/Europe unless the competition get to the point of being able to dump production into export markets. It looks like this is still a way off.

How this affects export delivery of M3 is hard to say. Higher domestic demand is not good. On the other hand higher price differential may make export a profitable prospect to offset the lower domestic margins.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoneRanger
My pick-up went smoothly. I am a perfectionist, and an engineer by profession, so gave the car a thorough looking over before accepting. The paint, glass and interior (apart from a dirty mark on the driver-side 'b'-pillar) were perfect. I did notice three panel fit issues, the gap between the 'c' pillar and boot was a bit strange (not flat when looking from the read end-on) and this gave rise to a similar displacement on the rear-light cluster comparing that mounted on the body of the car and that on the boot. I haven't explained those very well. A similar alignment issue with the front bumper around the headlight. So four issues in total. The car was spotlessly clean on the outside and inside - the windscreen could have done with a polish on the inside and still had the witness marks of the suckers used to lift the windscreen in the factory. The car had done 7 miles and was 50% charged. And looked gorgeous. We were blown away. Just park all that for a second.

The Tesla rep at the NEC in Birmingham, young by the name of Shamir, was outstanding. I think the collection arrangements are often considered by non-Tesla bods to be poor, when compared with the likes of Mercedes and Audi in particular. I have to say, this was my best experience ever. Shamir helped me document the issues and to send them off to Tesla for a service request. He was professional, so helpful, very knowledgeable, so polite and patient, and went through a personalised set-up and pairing of phones with the car ... we could have done this ourselves but it would have taken about three times as long. I simply cannot fault the handover - just brilliant and a very memorable experience (no coffee of course, or ribbon round the car).

Driving out of Hall 16 at the NEC was an experience I will never forget ... our own Tesla! The car calibrated quickly and we followed the map onto the M6 heading West. I got the obligatory stone chip from a van on the inside lane. That seems to happen with every single new car I have ever had! Its tiny, and not in line of view. Went to a Tesla charger near Telford to try them out ... this is our first EV and it was very straightforward. And then it was plugged into the home charger overnight for a 100% charge on Octopus Intelligent (though the Tesla handled the charging rather than the 'Intelligent' functionality of the Tariff). We also topped it up with solar this morning, that was a joy to behold as our excess is usually dumped to the grid for nowt.

Back to where we parked, so to speak. The next day, I looked at the panel issues again (with a service scheduled for the 11th October). The boot issue around the 'c' pillar and rear light assembly has completely resolved ... the Tesla fairies must have been round or something. It is now perfect. The front bumper issue around the light is still just about there, I can feel it (with my finger tip) more than see it, and my wife can't tell at all. I can only think that the misalignments were something to do with how the car had been stored on a transporter perhaps ... who knows. The dirty mark will just wipe off with Autoglym, no problem - I will be giving the car its first clean tomorrow even though it isn't dirty. I am now wondering though about PPF on leading edges ... something I said I wouldn't do.

So I will be cancelling the service, not least because I just know that I will be getting another stone chip or worse if I travel over to Tamworth, and they will say the bumper is in spec anyway ... and I am sure it is. So, in conclusion ... me and the Mrs just love it! As do the neighbours (but I can tell they are jealous).

I am pleased too with all of the accessories purchased, detailed earlier. The Tesla mats are robust and fit well, and the Tessories bits and pieces are also excellent. We have two phones connected to the car besides the key cards, I won't be connecting my Apple Watch (which is getting temperamental) using the 3rd party app, but I am pleased that I splashed out on a key fob given that I always carry a key when I leave the house. It is handy for quickly locking and unlocking the car and opening the charge port.

I know this is a bit wordy, but hope it helps somebody ... anybody! Ooh, the other thing Shamir said was that this quarter had been busy with deliveries, but that it was nothing compared to what was happening next quarter! So from mid-November onwards do expect EDDs to be kept this time. The days of backlogs are over for the time being at least. Well worth waiting for, so glad I didn't cancel the order and switch to something else. TTFN.
Huge congratulations. I have followed your posts for a long time and I am delighted to read of your excellent delivery experience as it gives me a lot more confidence about what is to come, hopefully in November for me. I really appreciate your full report and must be almost as excited for you as you are for yourself !

Assuming everyone here has ordered the M3 before the price hikes, would you buy a Model 3 RWD now at its current price of £48,490?
The first price hike happened in between me test driving and ordering, I had a serious think back then if I wanted to pay that much for a car. The combination of the second price hike and the increase in APR on the Tesla loan absolutely would have been a deal breaker for me. The same car I've ordered would be costing almost an extra £100 a month at today's prices.

Huge congratulations. I have followed your posts for a long time and I am delighted to read of your excellent delivery experience as it gives me a lot more confidence about what is to come, hopefully in November for me. I really appreciate your full report and must be almost as excited for you as you are for yourself !
Thank you Frankcjd ... you are going to be thrilled! I wish I could go through the whole experience again! It is such a delight when you first receive a text saying to expect delivery quickly followed by a hidden VIN ... then the build up to the delivery, making your way to the collection point, seeing your car for the first time (love at first sight) and then actually driving it away for keeps! I will keep checking in to the waiting room to see how folk are getting on. Hats off to partywme for setting this forum up in the first place, it's been a great place to hang out. :)

Assuming everyone here has ordered the M3 before the price hikes, would you buy a Model 3 RWD now at its current price of £48,490?
Probably. It's still a £9,000 jump to the M3LR, which is then more expensive to insure and less efficient, plus coming from an 8 year old/ 60 something thousand mile Leaf where battery degeneration has well and truly taken hold, the main reason I chose the RWD is the hoped-for resilience of the LFP battery. Had the Y RWD been available when I ordered, I might have gone for that, but to my eyes the Y is somewhat porky and most of the time it's just me in the car, and it's another £3,000. (Also, I actually like a saloon with a separate boot.)

I did consider non-Tesla options but the VW and clone cars were totally unavailable, the Mach-E too expensive, and I need more boot room than was on offer in the Ioniq 5 and its Kia and Genesis clones. And of course, having had to sit around at motorway services for the one Gridserve unit with ChaDeMo to come free, I have a bad case of Suprecharger envy.

Been on the app this week for the first time in months. Ordered march 22. Noticed that my credit approval had expired so re did that.
When you resubmitted your credit approval, did you get the same APR quoted as when you ordered, or did it increase?

I ordered in February (PCP) when the APR was 4.9% (since increased to 5.9% I think…) and so my credit application has also expired. I was hesitant to resubmit on the website just in case I got stung with the higher rate, so phoned Tesla and was advised to do nothing, and they would resubmit on my behalf nearer the delivery date.

Just curious to know what happens with online resubmissions. If I’d known the wait for the car was going to be so long, I’d have printed off a screenshot of my original offer containing the actual monthly payment, but at the time of ordering my EDD was still supposed to be May!

Reactions: Lewis Smith